Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Saw this truism on facebook earlier :) - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Saw this truism on facebook earlier :)

What's Hot
Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    You get great tone from those 1950's phones. It's all down to the bakelite.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Can't beat a 175
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd say a Telecaster or D28 is better suited there.

Jazz boxes are Niche'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    roberty said:
    Funny looking telephone. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A 1950 model definitely didn’t have humbuckers and a tunomatic…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    It's amusing, but it doesn't actually work though does it. No one has redefined the function of a guitar, so your basic guitar doesn't need to change. Modern mobiles have entirely different functions to early phones, as well as talking to people from a distance of course. Also, there has actually been a fair deal of guitar changes and innovations over the years, even if the early designs are still popular.

Still, one can look at it and smile at the sentiment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd like to see one based on the violin instead ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'd like to see one based on the violin instead ;)
    There you go

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    roberty said:
    Nothing against the Kemper at all, but looking at it always reminds me of Talkie Toaster from the early Red Dwarf episodes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sadly incorrect. The ES-175 was discontinued in around 2017.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Thing is, there are more modern guitars out there.  So it’s only kinda true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Cranky said:
    Thing is, there are more modern guitars out there.  So it’s only kinda true.
    Yes. and none of them from Gibson.

Unless you count the SG as "modern". Or lump in weird little short-run rarities. Fender pretty much the same. They are like those bands which had a couple of hit singles in 1965 and are still playing exactly the same old songs in exactly the same old way, and encoring with their one big hit even though they played it twice already. Admittedly, they are doing the modern walking-frame shuffle instead of the traditional duck walk, so that's something.  
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    Shit, I used to have that brick of a Motorola mobile phone from the 80's, I got the bloody thing when it was new to the market - late 80's, though mine was black.  That phone alone tripled the weight of my school bag it was that bloody heavy, and bulky too, was really not either pocket friendly, nor guitar case friendly.

Though I disagree with the OP's image, there have been many many changes made to the 175 since it was first introduced in the 50's, for a start, the Gibson logo has changed, then there's the hardware, and finally the shape of the guitar - yes this one can be subtle but not when you compare one from the 50's to one from the 2000's.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited September 2023
    Shit, I used to have that brick of a Motorola mobile phone from the 80's, I got the bloody thing when it was new to the market - late 80's, though mine was black. That phone alone tripled the weight of my school bag  it was that bloody heavy, and bulky too, was really not either pocket friendly, nor guitar case friendly.

Erm, I've got to ask. Who did you talk to on it?
  • More important where's the trim phone?

• Kilgore said:
    Shit, I used to have that brick of a Motorola mobile phone from the 80's, I got the bloody thing when it was new to the market - late 80's, though mine was black. That phone alone tripled the weight of my school bag  it was that bloody heavy, and bulky too, was really not either pocket friendly, nor guitar case friendly.

Erm, I've got to ask. Who did you talk to on it?

Parents, friends, teachers, everybody in my year at school had one, in fact every student I went to school with at the time when the Motorola brick phone was available had one.  It was actually far far cheaper to run a mobile phone in Asia in the 80's than it was in the UK in the 90's and early 2000's
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter