Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Shipping a guitar - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Shipping a guitar

What's Hot
I have a Gretsch for sale on here and on ebay, although I'd rather deal with someone from here. (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/247955/fs-gretsch-electromatic-double-jet-g5655t-cb-reduced-to-450#latest )

It's listed primarily as local collection but I realise that massively limits the potential market. If I was to ship the guitar, what is generally the best and safest way to do so? It has a decent gigbag but I've not shipped a guitar in years and so can't remember what I did last time, who I used etc etc.

Any advise other than 'don"t'? Just want to know what to do if I do end up needing to ship it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 612
    edited September 2023
    I know it can be nerve racking shipping gear, but if you're careful and cover yourself well you should be absolutely fine. 

Use a dual walled shipping container, i buy them from Blackcountry boxes (buy a few and keep them handy). Pack it so it doesn't move with as much bubble wrap and spare cardboard as you can fit in there. I recommend woven filament packing tape to seal it, it won't come unpealed and it won't break (Jonathan at feline guitars put me onto that stuff and i won't go back)

For couriers I use DPD local, least amount of issues from all the couriers I've used. Don't a the courier's own insurance... ever. Insure 3rd party via Secursus, make sure to take photos of all the packing process and the guitar/box/ label before and after, incase you need to make a claim. (They do pay out, but you need to supply lots of documents).
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This has been discussed repeatedly. I don’t like to be that guy but do a search. And don’t worry - post it. There’s tons of good advice on here. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry - I should have said in my original post. I realise it's been discussed before and therefore sorry for repeating but when I searched on my phone last night it only brought threads up from about 7 years ago and I wanted to see if there was any new opinions on couriers etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I know it can be nerve racking shipping gear, but if you're careful and cover yourself well you should be absolutely fine. 

Use a dual walled shipping container, i buy them from Blackcountry boxes (buy a few and keep them handy). Pack it so it doesn't move with as much bubble wrap and spare cardboard as you can fit in there. I recommend woven filament packing tape to seal it, it won't come unpealed and it won't break (Jonathan at feline guitars put me onto that stuff and i won't go back)

For couriers I use DPD local, least amount of issues from all the couriers I've used. Don't a the courier's own insurance... ever. Insure 3rd party via Secursus, make sure to take photos of all the packing process and the guitar/box/ label before and after, incase you need to make a claim. (They do pay out, but you need to supply lots of documents).

Interesting point re the insurance cover.  I always use UPS and assumed insurance is added when you enter the declared value (as the total costs adjusts accordingly).  Is it better to set declared value to £0 and use a 3rd party insurer then?  

• I know it can be nerve racking shipping gear, but if you're careful and cover yourself well you should be absolutely fine. 

Pretty sure @Nightswan flagged up the limitations of Secursus. It can’t be used for eBay?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited September 2023
    Fishboy7 said:

Interesting point re the insurance cover.  I always use UPS and assumed insurance is added when you enter the declared value (as the total costs adjusts accordingly).  Is it better to set declared value to £0 and use a 3rd party insurer then?  

Generally speaking, the declared value is the extra liability (over and above the token amounts specified by the Warsaw Convention) that the carrier agrees to take on. The declared value costs extra because you are paying for the carrier to agree to be liable for that declared value in the event of damage or loss. However, the declared value is not the same as insurance because the carrier will have T&Cs that take precedence and may render that increased liability moot. For example, most carrier T&Cs will exclude fragile valuables (arts and antiques, etc) and musical instruments altogether. 
  • One thing I came across from Austin on his Troglys YT was there were two types of plastic used in bubble wrap and one of those wasn't good to use. I am trying to remember the difference, although it shouldn't matter if its in a gigbag, as it was to do with the plastic touching the guitar finish.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Always slacken the strings, and if it’s a Gretsch with a floating bridge, remove the bridge and put it in the case pocket. They can do a lot of damage if the guitar gets squashed - I’ve seen one with the soundpost pushed through the back of the guitar - but even a fully-hollow Gretsch is fairly strong without the extra height and compression of the bridge there.

If it has a Bigsby, turn the arm round so it’s directly over the tailpiece so the arm end is as low as possible, and tape it into place if there’s any chance of it moving by itself.

Other than that you shouldn’t need special measures beyond what you would do with any other hollow/set-neck/angled-headstock guitar.

(I see yours is a solidbody so you don’t need to remove the bridge.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    As above suggestions - slip a piece of paper around the strings to stop the slackened strings rubbing against the frets.
    Filament tape - get the scotch /3M version 
    It WILL be a bit more expensive, but in use it will be a joy compared to the cheap suff , which sticks to itself , and to you  long before it gets to the box

Pack the guitar as if you are sending by Hermes/Evri and then send with a better courier

Pack the guitar so it can’t move at all in it’s case and then pack the case in the carton so it is very snug

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• What would you say is a rough cost to ship a guitar within UK? £25?
  • Shipping can costs £10-15..

Insurance costs in the region of £1 per £100 insured.

I've just had a les paul shipped.

2xblack countries boxes £30 Inc delivery
    £8 Roll of bubble wrap(seller supplemented this with bits of card ect)
    Next day Parcel force £13.00(give or take)
    Insurance £12
    Total £63

But...i wanted to be super careful.

My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Damn - I've been paying £50 to £60 with UPS - declared value circa £3k and looks like uninsured 
  • Is Overland Express with their own insurance still a viable option? I used them in the last couple of years and the price was reasonable.
  • @Fishboy7 You should have the option to pay more for couriers own insurance. They normally cover up to a certain value (i.e £100). Pretty much all of them charge you for extra insurance for the full value but won't pay out as instruments aren't covered in their ts&cs. I wouldn't put £0 for the value, just don't pay for extra cover.

Aside from actually paying out, Secursus costs around 1% of the value. I just posted a CS strat and it cost me £25 to insure. I'm not a sales rep btw... i've just used them for a while, made a claim recently and it was a pretty straightforward affair. 
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com