Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Knobs on the front, MV combo or head, sub 500 quid? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Knobs on the front, MV combo or head, sub 500 quid?

spev11spev11 Frets: 214
Doesn't have to be valve, only nailed on requirments are knobs on front and master volume (and not the size of a house).
I've got an EVH5150 Iconic 15w, it's perfectly fine, but I have to use the attenuator (and the required cables) and the sodding knobs are on top.
 I did think of putting the amp section into a head so the knobs are in the right place but then the bloody cables would come out the top (or the bottom but then the controls are upside down).
 I know its a first world problem but there we go, I'm currently eyeing up a supercrush 100 head but its a wide old thing, as is the Boss Artist Mk2.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    [Stuck record]

Peavey red stripe Transtube Studio Pro 112

[/stuck record]

If it has to be new, it has to be the Bandit really - they've stopped making all the other models except the really small ones. While the Rage is good for what it is, it's not in the same league unfortunately.

Marshall DSL combos have the knobs on the front too.

I really dislike the knobs on the top fashion as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Marshall DSL40C or CR. I am a big fan of these now. 

The Bandit is great, but you may not be taken by any of the flavours you can find on the various channels. I am going to have to sell my red stripe due to a family crisis (nothing serious, but I do need to clear the room where the Bandit is), so do let me know if you want to have another go at Peaveys. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    its the sheer size of the buggers that put me off a bandit, the room I use doubles as a spare for my nieces. The 5150 is pretty big though for a 10" speaker (cab is big enough for a 12" but the amp is in a box of its own so It won't fit)
    DSL40CR would be ideal but again its a big chonky lad. 
     I'm basically ranting at amp manufacturers. I'd probably have a Artist head or combo if they wern't massive and I wasn't worried that the new modelling tech thats on the MS90 might end up on the Katana range. 
     If previous form is anything to go by I'll make a massive swerve and end up with something so far removed from my initial list it'll be bonkers. Its what's happened so far anyway , I'm easily distracted like a kid in a sweetshop. All good fun though.

Is the T.Dynamics knob on the Studio Pro basically a master volume?
    I could be tempted as Its a bit smaller than a bandit I think
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    spev11 said:
    Is the T.Dynamics knob on the Studio Pro basically a master volume?
    No - it's a power stage damping control. Although it does have some effect on the final volume because it does genuinely control dynamics, you certainly can't turn it down and get the amp much quieter. In fact, it makes the amp sound worse at low volume so I just leave it turned up full anyway... I can only think that it might be useful at stage volume to focus the amp in the mix a bit, because otherwise it's pretty redundant.

spev11 said:

I could be tempted as Its a bit smaller than a bandit I think
    It is, although not that much - a couple of inches.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Me likes Bandits and DSL40s. Big cabs and knobs on the front. So you can sit on them while they purr. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    Bugera amps would fit the requirements. 
    I was tempted to try the v55 ( think that’s the 6v6 one) but I’ve not seen in stock in many places , will go have a dig
  • Gotta say the Katana artist is a great amp and lighter than most valve combo’s…£250 ain’t bad for a lot of amp ;)
    Gotta say the Katana artist is a great amp and lighter than most valve combo’s…£250 ain’t bad for a lot of amp ;)
    If I could find one for £250 i'd  have it :)
    haha, I've just found your ad :) do you know how it differs from the MK2?