Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why do you get the urge to jump? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why do you get the urge to jump?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Take up rock climbing or parkour for cool kids. At least climbing up let’s you savour the fear before you commit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    <Comment removed after consideration as there may be some people that know of others who have jumped or fallen from buildings>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Bezzer said:
    Because everything is so relentlessly shit all the damn time that the blissful nothingness of eternity calls so very, very strongly.
    Why am I the only one who’s LOL’d this?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Paul_C said:

I have wondered what it would feel like to put my hand against the blade of my bandsaw - I still have all my fingers ;)
    So do I, although I also have a scar on the knuckle of my left index finger which is where contact was made.

To save you wondering any more - it hurts, and it's quite inconvenient day-to-day and a definite hindrance to guitar playing, whilst it heals.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Shrews said:
    However two lads I worked with did. One cut his middle finger knuckle clean off. The second cut between third and fourth finger into the middle of his hand. Given the cold temperature both said they never felt anything until noticing the blood.

I nearly cut the top of my thumb off using a bandsaw at school in woodwork. I didn't feel it either but, fortunately, I was working quite slowly and noticed the blood before I'd gone too far. :o
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I don't get the urge to jump!  I have the urge to stay away from the edge as much as possible to prevent an accidental fall, even if there is a safety rail in place.  I couldn't even stand on the glass floor of the CN Tower!

I grew up living quite close to the Severn Bridge and quite often saw bunches of flowers taped to the rails where somebody had taken one last step to end their life.  I often wondered what they must have thought and felt as they plummeted to their demise.

One guy survived, he stated that as soon as he stepped over the edge he regretted it and knew he didn't really want to die!  I also know of one guy (son of my mum's friend) who fell from a gantry under the bridge while he was working.  The whole gantry fell away, he was the only guy who tried to jump clear and the only guy on the gantry to survive!

No, jumping from a height is not the way I'd choose to go, it must be terrifying!  

I used to work for the manufacturer of wind turbine towers so we used to get a bit of lowdown from our customers.  The guys who have to work in the towers and especially at the top have to be trained to evacuate in the event of a fire.

They have clip on a constant rate descender that's attached to the nacelle and jump off!  Even that must be terrifying and you know you're going to survive without injury!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    The relief of not having to deal with life any more?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    I get it.
     i always thought it was a kind of virtigo.
    I feel the urge puling me towards the edge if i get too close.
    it  can be that strong the only way to stop the feeling would be to jump.
    I sometimes feel drawn to the canal if i get too close to the edge. I feel i may as well just jump to stop the urge. its like a magnet. If i get too close to the edge my balance starts to go and i can end up crawling on my knees. Looking down from a great height makes me feel so sick, jumping would seem like the thing to do but i obviously dont want to do that.
     I would be a top Paratrooper but a shit window cleaner.( unless i stuck to bungalows away from the waters edge)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Lad at my school put his forearm through a band saw, it went into the bone. Said he never felt a thing. He just called the teacher over calmy while we all laughed. Funny old world eh?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    blobb said:
    Lad at my school put his forearm through a band saw, it went into the bone. Said he never felt a thing. He just called the teacher over calmy while we all laughed. Funny old world eh?
    I bet the teacher didn’t laugh 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Ask Gee...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That is literally mountain biking 
  • Reverend said:
    It's the call of the void

Weirdly enough (or maybe not) for me it's the other way around: I feel like there's a cosmic vaccuum cleaner sucking me towards that edge - it's something drawing me rather than me wanting to jump. I never get close enough to the edge to look over...
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    Cranky said:
    Bezzer said:
    Because everything is so relentlessly shit all the damn time that the blissful nothingness of eternity calls so very, very strongly.
    Why am I the only one who’s LOL’d this?
    Because you are either lucky enough to think I was joking.
    Or unlucky enough to realise I wasn’t. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  Personally I blame Van Halen

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOG said:
    The relief of not having to deal with life any more?
    @ROOG ;You okay mate? 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    edited September 2023
    Hi @Telemaster, good of you to ask, I guess the answer is 'Yes and No' like many of us I have my OK days and my bad days.
    I am ashamed to admit that 'not being here anymore' would be one effective way to solve my issues. But what would such actions do to my family? I guess that guilt keeps me here and has done for most of my adult life. This seems mad to me.