Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Black is back, but is it Black? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Black is back, but is it Black?

What's Hot
Finally got round to stripping the finish off my LP 50's Tribute. I'm going to refinish with black top, with back, sides and neck in a subtle danish oil with wax. But the question is, is black black? or does it come in different shades? Is there a shade that Gibson uses? or can I just get Ford Granada Black/ Audi Black/ (fill in car company) Black?

@steverobinson - great tip with the MEK for stripping nitro from a previous tthread. Melts anything in it's path. Didn't take very long at all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I wouldn't recommend using car paint. I've never had it harden properly, even after years.

If it's just the top I'd recommend nitro, a perfect finish is quite achievable without special equipment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    edited September 2023
    davros said:
    I wouldn't recommend using car paint. I've never had it harden properly, even after years.

If it's just the top I'd recommend nitro, a perfect finish is quite achievable without special equipment.
    Ive never had a issue with car paint, as long as it is good quality, tue stuff from the likes of Hafords is utter shite

However if you go to the retailer that supplies the car repair trade, you will get good quality paint with a decent paint to thinners ratio and a decent spray nozzle too, they can mix pretty much any colour into a rattle can.

You would be amazed how many Pro car repairs are done with a rattle can

Id be interested to know how similar modern 1k Cellulose paint is to Nitro

I wouldnt be surprised if its the same thing…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:

Id be interested to know how similar modern 1k Cellulose paint is to Nitro

I wouldnt be surprised if its the same thing…
    It is the same thing. Nitrocellulose.

In the UK it's shortened to "cellulose", in 'Merc'n it's "nitro"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with Black!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    My black lacquer has been bought and used by Gibson's London repair centre. Just saying ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As you asked there are hundreds of different blacks but unless you find a place that can mix nitro it’s all a bit futile. If you are just doing a top then little point. Get a can of Steve’s black and all will be fine and you know it’s a proven formula.
  • Evening all.

It's now black! I found a local car paint supplier that mixes on demand, and potentially could supply me with any colour in a pallette of 16000! Seems like good stuff - to my untrained eye.

It's had a mist coat and 3 wet coats. I've given it a light sand with some soapy 1000 grit wet and dry and I'll put the final colour coat on Friday (hopefully). I can still see some orange peel on the colour. Should I aim at sanding that out before I clear coat? Or will the clear coat melt into the colour and smooth everything out so I only need to worry about cutting back any orange peel in the top coat?

As always, any advice greatfully received.
    I assume it's acrylic. In which case I don't believe it melts previous coats, but may be wrong.
  • Nitro based
    Ah, then it should melt. With nitro i have never sanded between coats unless to remove a run, bug or dust. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Steve has some good guides on his website, but I'm not sure you're allowed to look at them if you bought someone else's paint  ;)

• davros said:
    Steve has some good guides on his website, but I'm not sure you're allowed to look at them if you bought someone else's paint  ;)

If Steve was just down the road and I could go and pick up a can I'd use him all day long. It's the delivery charge that kills it for me - especially for a single can of colour. (Totally understand the reason why it's so expensive - hazardous substance transportation and all).

This is my first foray into refinishing a guitar. It's not what I usually do. I'd like to do more, but I'm more into buying some of the more spectacularly good budget guitars like Harley Benton's and modding/ improving where I can. If this refinish goes well, I'll be changing the colour of my TE-52.