Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Digitising Photo Negatives - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Digitising Photo Negatives

I ask as I've just been to a photo shop who wanted 30 quid for 7 photos, not prints, just digital images; that's a bit steep for me. Is this possible to do at home? I presume you need a scanner of some sort? Has anyone done this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I used to have a scanner that had an attachment for snanning negatives. It is possible and they are out there. I'm sure that phone technology has already come up with something. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    What? You just want 7 photos?

can’t you just take 7 random photos on your phone?
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 135
    I have done it using old slides and a flatbed slide scanner. Worked well.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I’ve digitised lots of my old negs. I’ve got an Epson v550 scanner that came with all the bits needed, like different sized neg carriers. Very simple process with decent results. You can pick the 550 up fairly cheaply s/h as it’s been replaced by newer models. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited September 2023
    YouTube has some videos showing a very basic technique that I will try. Light source from a phone, a toilet roll, and another phone to take a photo. Then process with Gimp.
    oh, I see what you are doing.

Depends what format is your photo in, whether it is a 35mm negative or a print.  If its 35mm negative then you need a back light.  The easiest thing is put it on a phone, or even a monitor and put the screen to pure white and take a photo (with a longer focal length).

If it's a print photo then do the same, without the monitor back light part.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    You can get gadgets specifically for this.  Mrs Fab has one somewhere.  Only cost about £30 iirc.  I saw them in Lidl / Aldi once too.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'll scan them for free if you can get them to London NW9 in work hours.
  • oh, I see what you are doing.

Depends what format is your photo in, whether it is a 35mm negative or a print.  If its 35mm negative then you need a back light.  The easiest thing is put it on a phone, or even a monitor and put the screen to pure white and take a photo (with a longer focal length).

It's a 35mm neg, so I'll need two phones as I don't have a tablet.
  • I have a scanner that does it.  

Some frosted glass or plastic with a light underneath to get a nice even backlight and a phone camera is all you need. Plenty of photo processing apps will reverse the colours.
  • I did a load of 35mm slides about 15 years ago or more, using an Epson scanner that came with a holder for 4 slides and some sort of backlight arrangement. The resolution of the scanner allowed me to achieve something like 4-5MP - consumer cameras were about 3MP at the time so I was happy with that, especially considering the condition of some of the slides and the quality of camera they were originally taken with. The equivalent scanner would be much better today I guess.
    edited September 2023
    oh, I see what you are doing.

It's a 35mm neg, so I'll need two phones as I don't have a tablet.
    I thought ahead of that.....You will notice i said Monitor? You have a computer? Then you just need 1 phone, don't need a tablet. I thought ahead of this. 

Hell, you can do it with your TV, just need to make the screen to be white.  Day light colour, it's easier on a monitor as you can adjust it.
  • I'd like something that lies flat to make it as easy as possible to take a good steady photo.
    edited September 2023
    I'd like something that lies flat to make it as easy as possible to take a good steady photo.
    The monitor is flat, put a pillow down and then lay it down.

I don't think you have a CRT or a 48" curved monitor....or do it with a laptop.  Any kind of screen really. 

Or just use a tiny bit of tape, tape the edge of the 35mm to the TV.  It doesn't need much for that to stick and hold up.
  • I'd like something that lies flat to make it as easy as possible to take a good steady photo.
    The monitor is flat, put a pillow down and then lay it down.

I don't think you have a CRT or a 48" curved monitor....

Too much arse-ache for me. I'll wait until my wife gets home and use her phone. Cheers for the tip though :-)
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited September 2023
    I'd like something that lies flat to make it as easy as possible to take a good steady photo.
     Make something.. even a piece cut from an old milk bottle side over a lamp will give you a backlight 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    I bought a Canon 9950F scanner way back purely to digitise all my work negatives. It has a frame that hold 4 strips of negatives IIRC, and another that hold mounted slides, plus other film types and the scanning process is automatic, separating each into an individual file. I did 110 films in total. Took a while but glad i did.
  • hywelg said:
    I bought a Canon 9950F scanner way back purely to digitise all my work negatives. It has a frame that hold 4 strips of negatives IIRC, and another that hold mounted slides, plus other film types and the scanning process is automatic, separating each into an individual file. I did 110 films in total. Took a while but glad i did.

Cheers for the tip and the details of the model :-)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7416
    edited September 2023
    Doing this to a professional standard isn't easy or cheap - often, it involves a fluid mount, high-end (and not very commonly maintained!) scanner and a keen hand and eye for focusing, removing dust etc. You can do a decent job yourself, but for truly professional results you'll need to pay I'm afraid.

For what it's worth I'd say only pay big money for scans of medium or large format film, or just pay for a top quality optical print. Delicious.

Edit: to clarify, I'm more defending the price, rather than saying it's the only way! 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited September 2023
    How much does it cost to just process negatives into prints, old school style? Is anyone offering this type of service now?
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    I ask as I've just been to a photo shop who wanted 30 quid for 7 photos, not prints, just digital images; that's a bit steep for me. Is this possible to do at home? I presume you need a scanner of some sort? Has anyone done this?

Seriously pay the money, scanners that do an alright but nothing special or great job of scanning slides or/and negatives are not cheap, and proper scanners that do really really good jobs of scanning negatives and slides - these tend to be dedicated to either slides or negatives rarely both, are very very expensive, these use very different scanning technology compared to your standard available at every computer store flatbed scanner of multi function printers.
  • We're talking about some very average 35mm photos that were taken on a point and shoot camera 30 years ago. I can't imagine that an image scanned by a top end scanner, or photographed with a 25mp camera will look very different to one done at home with a typical smartphone camera.
  • axisus said:
    I'll scan them for free if you can get them to London NW9 in work hours.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this very generous offer. I'd love to take you up on it, but I'm in France. Thanks very much though :-)