Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PSA - The Repair Shop tonight - Epi SG neck repair - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PSA - The Repair Shop tonight - Epi SG neck repair

What's Hot
mortmort Frets: 709
Could be interesting…..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Why bother?

Could it be the Flame Guitars chap again - David Kennett?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Beats the usual sewing an arm back on to someone's tatty old cock-eyed teddy bear I suppose. I'll have a looksy

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    edited September 2023
    Looking forward to the crying with happiness of the punters…after the expected heart warming story.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hopefully they'll see sense, just bin the Epi then give him a Gibson. No doubt Joe Bonamassa could turn up in person and hand one to him so they can get a magic moment for the telly
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If it's Julyan, that's my guitar tech. Absolute gent and wonderful Luthier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023
    If you want a proper repair channel check this out.

Relaxing viewing at it's no BS best

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I love the Woodford Instruments channel. It's quite addictive.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    @Winny_Pooh is correct.

If you want a neck repair, this one's a bit of a classic:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's not the headstock.   :o
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    It's not the headstock.   :o
    Yeah that’s not good… 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    mort said:
    Could be interesting…..
    What are the chances of the luthier going "Sorry mate, chop it up for firewood..."
  • Who was the fretboarder whom along with his wife, called this program, “and then they cried”?

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    Oh dear. The bar was super-low.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Don't think he even bothered with the intonation
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I mean, it just put the w back together and glued them…. 

I’ll go on and say the tyre on my bike is flat, and could they fix it.

marshall combo, SG, AC/DC fan, and strummed a few folk chords :( 
  • steersteer Frets: 1043
    edited September 2023
    I'm not a guitar snob, but for a prime time telly restoration program I would have thought that they could have found someone with a guitar a bit more interesting than an Epi SG with a snapped neck. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    It was the owner who made it special, him being on the BBC list of good things to make a fuss about.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    It was a bit of a non event ... 'man glues neck back on cheap, modern guitar...' while tumbleweeds blow through ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you want a proper repair channel check this out.

Relaxing viewing at it's no BS best

My Favourite youtuber. Makes every sunday evening for me. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    I didn't see The Repair Shop episode with the SG, but I did see the one where the luthier repaired or tarted up an old Fender bass that purportedly had been played by the bass player for Hot Chocolate.  As far as I recall the luthier did a perfectly acceptable job on the bass, but I found the story behind it a bit lacklustre. The bass had been left in the UK with his wife or partner when they were estranged and he went (back?) to live in the West Indies, and the son now wanted to learn how to play the instrument.  Perhaps I am just too cynical, but I was left with the feeling that the ulterior motive in having it repaired was not so much for the son to learn to play it, but rather to increase the sale value of the bass.  Sometimes my first impressions of people on the programme have been proven wrong though.
    BillDL said:
    I didn't see The Repair Shop episode with the SG, but I did see the one where the luthier repaired or tarted up an old Fender bass that purportedly had been played by the bass player for Hot Chocolate.  As far as I recall the luthier did a perfectly acceptable job on the bass, but I found the story behind it a bit lacklustre. The bass had been left in the UK with his wife or partner when they were estranged and he went (back?) to live in the West Indies, and the son now wanted to learn how to play the instrument.  Perhaps I am just too cynical, but I was left with the feeling that the ulterior motive in having it repaired was not so much for the son to learn to play it, but rather to increase the sale value of the bass.  Sometimes my first impressions of people on the programme have been proven wrong though.
    Don't bother seeking out the SG repair Bill.  The neck had snapped off - bizarrely - where it joins the body.  It was underwhelming viewing to say the least.

I enjoyed the HC bass episode a lot more, regardless of the motivation behind getting it fixed.  It at least had some history and provenance to buoy up the repair whereas the SG was a bland guitar owned by a bland kid with no interesting backstory.  Bloke glues neck back onto inexpensive guitar, end of.  The BBC must have been desperately short of material that week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 103
    edited September 2023
    There have been a few guitar repairs on the show, and they've all been pretty underwhelming - compared to some of the hoops that the mechanics or silverwork go through, or the incredible artistic skills of the painting or ceramics it's been pretty disappointing stuff - about the best that could be said is that it's least part of the show that's not about yet another stuffed toy that should have just been thrown away 50 years ago
    tFB Trader
    Now if they had me in restoring pickups ... ;-)
    left: buggered up Hagstrom bass pickup with resin bobbin falling apart ...
    right: reproduction from my workshop and my own digits :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Who was the fretboarder whom along with his wife, called this program, “and then they cried”?
    Might've been @p90fool ;
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2871352/#Comment_2871352
    ;)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    BillDL said:

As I recall, they took and old bass with mojo, removed the mojo, and put a bridge cover on.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    edited September 2023
    The crying is contractual.  If they don't reach a prescribed volume they take the item out back and take turns in throwing bricks at it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    prowla said:
    BillDL said:

As I recall, they took and old bass with mojo, removed the mojo, and put a bridge cover on.
    Pretty much covers it ... as well as shaving the neck down to repair a missing chunk of maple ... rather than replacing it.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    prowla said:
    BillDL said:

Pretty much covers it ... as well as shaving the neck down to repair a missing chunk of maple ... rather than replacing it.
    That was the bit that really surprised me. Just shaving down a vintage bass neck ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Does this what used to be a cheap daytime tv program repair stuff for free if you can transport it to Sussex ?