Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sky Stream - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sky Stream

Hi - anyone got by experience of Sky Stream? Yays  or nays
tia
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I was persuaded by it about a year ago.  Previously, I had Sky Q, I'd say it was a backwards step at the time.  It had a couple of updates and has gotten better but there are still a few things that felt more intuitive on Q.  That said we have gotten used to it and its ok.  It was also about 30% cheaper than Q, which was a big factor.  We also got a free 55" TV freeing the other TV for the xbox

If you're coming in without any previous experience, its fine

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We've had it nearly a year. It's...ok.

Pros:
    - No installation whatsoever; as long as your internet connection can handle it then you're away.

Cons:
    - First remote broke after not long, and without a working remote you cannot do much. To their credit their CS team was manned by humans and they sent me a new remote next day, which has been flawless ever since.
    - Some apps are better than others. The Apple TV app for examples claims to be 4K (and my TV certainly thinks it is) but the native Apple TV app on the TV looks a lot, lot better.
    - It's a little laggy? Could be the remote but sometimes when scrolling there's quite the delay.

I'd say unless you really want something that you can only get with Sky - I wanted premiership football so Sky Sports it was - you can probably do better with a combination of other services.
  • We switched from Q to Stream earlier this year when renovating lounge as TV moved from corner to internal wall and it was the easiest solution. We also have additional pucks in each bedroom. We have adjusted quickly and like it.

The UHD feeds (where available) have superb picture quality and Dolby Atmos sound. There is a small interruption in sound when ads come on as the soundbar has to recode the ads audio from one audio format to another and back again. That's a bit annoying. Netflix and other TV app integration is good.

Also, the puck in the lounge will send out random HDMI CEC signals on occasions and can be a bit twitchy when you overload it with too many remote control key presses and can lock up and need resetting by unplugging from the power every now and then.

On the whole it's pretty good but we are paying the same as Q subscription with all the extra like ad skipping, UHD, multi room etc.