Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Speaker and speaker cable questions Pro Reverb - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Speaker and speaker cable questions Pro Reverb

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10231
I have Neo Creambacks in my Pro Reverb at the moment. They're good but I might put them in a 2x12 cab to use with my 1987x instead, and then get something more Fendery for the Fender. I have lots of amps to choose from these days which was not the case when I loaded the Fender

I'm considering Jensen Tornados for the Pro Reverb. Are these quite Fendery? Has anyone compared them with Jensen C12Ns? I would like to keep the weight down if possible because it's a hefty bugger

I'll want some new speaker wire to wire it all up, too. The wire is really tight and a bit manky. What do people generally use for this? I have some orange flex but I want something less visually conspicous for the back of the combo. Any combination of black, white and grey would do

I guess I'll want a decent Neutrik jack to handle to power
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    edited September 2023
    roberty said:
    I have Neo Creambacks in my Pro Reverb at the moment. They're good but I might put them in a 2x12 cab to use with my 1987x instead, and then get something more Fendery for the Fender. I have lots of amps to choose from these days which was not the case when I loaded the Fender

I'm considering Jensen Tornados for the Pro Reverb. Are these quite Fendery? Has anyone compared them with Jensen C12Ns? I would like to keep the weight down if possible because it's a hefty bugger

I'll want some new speaker wire to wire it all up, too. The wire is really tight and a bit manky. What do people generally use for this? I have some orange flex but I want something less visually conspicous for the back of the combo. Any combination of black, white and grey would do

I guess I'll want a decent Neutrik jack to handle to power

You want Nuke plugs but not for "the power" you want them for their rugged reliability. Speaker cable can be found all over the net but far cheaper might be a lookyat B&Q? They used to do 'cut rolls' of various mains cables in 10 and 25M lengths. 6amp 2 core is favourite but 3 core will serve, just slightly lower loop resistance. Not that that matter a ***t in this context! Er....WHITE is not "conspicuous"!?

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I've just replaced a Neo Creamback with a Tornado Classic in my Mesa Blue Angel. It's much more Fendery, much more evenly-balanced without the overly prominent midrange, much more transparent and responsive to changes on the amp, and just... better.

I've always liked them but this just confirms how much. I also like the Tornado Stealth 80, but I haven't tried the Stealth 65 - although I don't like it as much as the others in the clips on their website.

You don't need any fancy cable - a piece of 2-core black or grey 6A mains cable is ideal, preferably round-section outer if you're going to use a Neutrik - the cable clamp will grip it best.

(The Creamback is going into my friend's Marshall DSL, where I think it will be ideal.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    ecc83 said:

You want Nuke plugs but not for "the power" you want them for their rugged reliability. Speaker cable can be found all over the net but far cheaper might be a lookyat B&Q? They used to do 'cut rolls' of various mains cables in 10 and 25M lengths. 6amp 2 core is favourite but 3 core will serve, just slightly lower loop resistance. Not that that matter a ***t in this context! Er....WHITE is not "conspicuous"!?

Dave.
    The cable in there from the 1970s is white. Well, it used to be. Bright orange is good for speaker cables when they are hidden in bag of instrument leads but it would look a bit naff installed in a Fender combo imo. The amp is reasonably valuable (although a bit tatty), it would be nice to keep it nice

@ICBM that sounds like an endorsement to me. I think I'll go with the neo Jensens in that case

How exciting lol
    They're in. It sounds so much better straight away. I plugged my PRS SS SE in and it was just Fender heaven. Back to how it should be

Handsome boi:

I've got this new crunching sound at idle. Gave the pots and jacks a clean, tapped the tubes

Is it anything to worry about? You wouldn't hear it but it sounds a bit unnerving

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    I've left a little bit of play on the speaker wire so I can use it with an attenuator. It's much more fun when it gets squishy and compressed

Got a Switchcraft jack in the end, USA made. I think that's what Fender use on their reissue combos