Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is it mad to self-build an acoustic? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is it mad to self-build an acoustic?

What's Hot
I've done a few electrics, and am *thinking* (vaguely) of having a go at an acoustic.

For the electrics, I know that I could buy better than I can build for a given price, even ignoring my time - a second-hand PRS SE will always be cheaper than the cost of the parts I'd buy to make something.  But the difference is only ever a few £hundred, and I see that as the price of the building hobby.  Plus, I'm generally reasonably sure that the finished product will be perfectly playable.

(I only build for my own satisfaction, not to sell the finished product).

But an acoustic feels like a different proposition.  There'll likely be some more tools to buy, I foresee some side-bending-snapping materials wastage, decent materials seem to be more expensive than for electrics, the time investment will be far greater and the quality of the final product is more dependant on the builder's woodworking skills, so I'd not expect the first one (or two or three) to be anywhere near as good as a shop bought (for considerably less cost) option.

So, should I venture into acoustic building, or should I aim for the satisfaction to come from learning to play the ones I've already got (bought) better, and confine my building to the simpler electrics?

I know, I know, only I can answer that one.  What would I be aiming to "get" from an acoustic build!
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTony said:
    ... decent materials seem to be more expensive than for electrics ...
    That is probably because the sound of an electric guitar is almost entirely a combination of the speaker, the amp and the pickups whereas the quality of the woods in an acoustic has a dramatic effect on the finished guitar's sound, along with bracing, bridge to top contact and more.

I get the feeling you will always have this nagging feeling if you don't at least give it a try. All the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • How many tools do you have? : )

Buy and read this book first, (it's not the only way to build an acoustic but Thorough) then decide if you want to go for it. 

Guitar Making: Tradition and Technology - A Complete Reference for the Design and Construction of the Steel-string Folk Guitar and the Classical Guitar https://amzn.eu/d/82w9Ber

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited September 2023
    Acoustic builds can be very rewarding.

Building by the numbers can get you something that sounds very good, without the need to worry too much about the more advanced tone shaping processes.  

It does take a lot more jigs, molds etc, but most can be made.

Check out radius dish uk for some cheaper kits, materials and jigs.

https://www.radiusdishuk.com/
  • There's obviously more skill in making a really good acoustic than in making a solid electric (and it'll probably cost you more as you've mentioned).

On the other hand, it doesn't have to be perfect to sound pretty good. I've not built an acoustic from scratch but I did make a new top for an old Hondo 12-string a few years ago. It's almost certainly over-built because I wanted to err on the side of caution with it being a 12-string (and the original top had caved in with the tension) and I did it all with minimal tools, but even so it sounds better than it did with the original laminate top. Obviously making molds and bending your own sides is going up another level - I "cheated" and reused the original back and sides.

If you think you'll enjoy the build then I'd say go for it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    How many tools do you have? : )
    Mostly all of them if needed for an electric build, and a CNC machine to help with some of the tasks too.  But not acoustic-specific tools (eg a bending iron and a load more clamps!).

And I've already got that book and have access to Mark Bailey's step-by-step video course, so that aspect should be covered.

Whistler said:
    I get the feeling you will always have this nagging feeling if you don't at least give it a try. All the best.
    That might actually end up being the reason that I do it - because I'd always wonder if I didn't!

WezV said:
    Thanks - i've seen those guys get mentioned before (probably by you!), so will take a closer look.

I'm also wondering how much I can cheat with the CNC, though that'd probably be more if I made a pseudo-acoustic using piezo / internal mic and IRs to generate the sound rather than the soundboard.  In theory, I should be able to model a gently arched top and cut that out to a ~3mm thickness, with combined internal bracing, from a standard guitar cap piece.  

That thought is probably influenced too much by the Kawai R'n'R star design (though that was magnetic pickups only).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Even if the cnc isn't used on the actual guitar, it could help make a lot of the tools and jigs you will need
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    It is quite mad.

Get cracking!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    An acoustic will be a good challenge. I’ve thought about it several times. In my case it would be a nylon strung classical guitar. I’ve got two steel strung acoustics, and can’t imagine that I could build anything which would sound or look better.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • How many tools do you have? : )

Buy and read this book first, (it's not the only way to build an acoustic but Thorough) then decide if you want to go for it. 

Guitar Making: Tradition and Technology - A Complete Reference for the Design and Construction of the Steel-string Folk Guitar and the Classical Guitar https://amzn.eu/d/82w9Ber

Reminded by this interesting thread (and hopefully not in too bad hijacking taste!) I have just put up an as new and unread copy of said book for sale!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/253884/fs-book-guitar-making-tradition-and-technology
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    It sounds totally insane. But this is from my perspective of just about being able to build a garden chair that doesn’t fall apart. I was going to suggest doing a bit of a course first (the Bailey one came immediately to mind) but it sounds like you’re way beyond that stage. 

Go for it. What’s the worst thing that can happen? A few quid wasted, a few splinters in your fingers? A few more tools in your workshop? If you can deal with all those things and having a bit of firewood at the end, why not?
  • You either have the tools or can afford to buy them. You have workspace. You've got a reasonable understanding of what you will be taking on and seem to be able to allocate time to the project. Go for it!
    Plus you get bragging rights on here and your fret count will increase when you put a thread about the build on here
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I want to make one some day, I will just dive in with no fear, which is what I did with electric guitars. The sad thing for me though is that my dad won't be here to see it. He's 95 now. He is an engineer and a draughtsman and has been fascinated with my guitar building. He would love to see me make an acoustic, he would be so interested. Unfortunately I just don't have the facilities at present.
    Seymour1 said:
    … your fret count will increase when you put a thread about the build on here
    Build threads get a lot of views, but not many comments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Seymour1 said:
    and your fret count will increase when you put a thread about the build on here
    How could I have overlooked the fret count benefit ???
     :o

:D 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    edited September 2023
    I think you should do it, you've made some perfectly acceptable electrics, I reckon your shiny new CNC could do some of the heavy lifting. Im sure it will be challenging, but then thats the point, Im prevaricating about attacking an electric body blank to make my first body……it will be fine once I find the bottle to get started and so will you be…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Roland said:
    Seymour1 said:
    … your fret count will increase when you put a thread about the build on here
    Build threads get a lot of views, but not many comments. 
    Unless you're thinking of doing a saucy fingerboard inlay.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 212
    TTony said:
    I've done a few electrics, and am *thinking* (vaguely) of having a go at an acoustic.

I was in the same boat about a month ago and have now ended up buying a long plane, some wood and making an external mould (the Cumpiano book doesn't use one). I'm waiting for the weather to settle down a bit, and clearing some working space  before doing too much with it. I'm currently trying to decide what to do for the rosette for when I start with the top plates (I'd like to find some 'interesting' wood to inlay).

I think it's a personal challenge to build something that looks at least 'acceptable' and sounds reasonably good. I think it would undoubtedly be cheaper to buy a good guitar though.

I have a small CNC mill/router. I'd have maybe liked to use it for radiussing the fretboard, cutting the fret slots, and maybe doing some fancy inlay, but it hasn't got enough travel for a full length fretboard - I could always index it, but am wary of errors creeping in. I'll probably use it for roughing out the bridge blank, and maybe for the headstock inlay, cutting rosette segments, etc.

The side bending is what scares me most - I've cobbled a hot pipe bender together and had a play with some scrap - it may be more manageable than I thought.

Do it. Do it Do it.... ;)
    Misterg said:

I think it's a personal challenge to build something that looks at least 'acceptable' and sounds reasonably good.
    For many it’s a bucket list item.