Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). natural finish for an alder body? NOW FINISHED - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

natural finish for an alder body? NOW FINISHED

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
edited September 2023 in Making & Modding
I've got to the stage on the latest build where it needs a final sand, but it's mocked up roughly - couple of bits may change but you get the general idea. It's a bit of an explore meets a Frank Brothers.

I bought the body off ebay listed as Alder... it's quite soft, but nice to work with. I just don't really know how to finish it.

My last few builds were a learning curve, and mistakes were made so they had to be painted. I would like to give this a simple natural finish - I did a test with some amber tinted nitro and I quite like the look of it, I wonder if it's too yellow?

So I'm open to suggestion on simple finishes and if you have any pics of how you did it - great!

Thanks in advance

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I just used oil on this

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I think the Amber will work well. It give a nice Korina vibe, which suits the shape
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Trying to leave my finishing bias at the door - I would spray the tint first with some clear coat to follow. If you don’t like it you can remove it, sand and THEN oil it to taste.

If you oil it first and decide you don’t like it you may struggle to remove the oil from the wood.. the tint won’t adhere properly if you’ve left oil on the body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @GoldenEraGuitars if you were to bit leave your finishing bias at the door what works you do? :)

@WezV that's kind of what i had in mind, cheers.

@drofluf cheers for the pic.
  • Well, amber tinted nitro it is...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I like that colour. 

If you have a rosewood neck on one of the others I would try it on this.   I think it would work well.
  • @WezV cheers... it worked out OK, I was worried it might look a bit like a pine cabinet... but I think it's a bit more yellowed so that's good. Agree on the rosewood - I would of preferred a rosewood board on it but I try to keep the budget down on this building stuff and use up what I have around or pick up for an OK price. As I'm sure you know it all adds up!!! But it's great fun so worth it.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Good choice on finish, looks great