Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What DAW do you use? - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What DAW do you use?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I use Bitwig

FL is pretty fun for electronic stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    edited September 2023
    I flip between several depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling. 

Studio One is my main DAW lately.  It's solid and works well.  Their hardware and controller offerings are really good too and integrate seamlessly without any faffing around.  There's a demo, as with most, but you can also subscribe to Studio One+ (was Sphere) and give it a longer run if you need to, plus you get access to all their plugins/instruments and exclusive videos.  It also has a really good remote control app for iOS and Android that works with minimal effort.

I use Ableton Live with my Push 2 for songwriting.  I can record parts and variations and trigger them on the fly to play around with arrangements.  It's great for experimentation and happy accidents.

I also own Reason, but haven't used the DAW side of it since they made the VST plugins for effects and instruments available.

I started out on Cubase v1 on PC, and stuck with it for many years until SX3.  Latterly, I bought Cubase 11 then sold it.  Then decided to give it another go and bought Cubase 12 Pro.  It's a buggy mess in serious need of overhaul.  Interface inconsistencies, poor window management, bugs that have been around for many major releases that never get resolved, infrequent updates.  I still really want to love it, but I just can't recommend it to anybody.  Steinberg are always very quick to blame "dodgy" plugins on their problems, despite said plugins being rock solid on other platforms. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tbh getting obsessed with choosing a DAW is really just a distraction. They are all incredibly capable these days. If you find any of them hard to use (including reaper) then tbh it shows a lack of investment of effort on your part. with the amount of high quality beginner focused material available on youtube across all DAW's you've really got no excuse. 

So.......just pick one and write some music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I use Logic, but that's mostly because I'm on a Mac... I learned to use Cubase about a million years ago when I was at college.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    tbh getting obsessed with choosing a DAW is really just a distraction. They are all incredibly capable these days. If you find any of them hard to use (including reaper) then tbh it shows a lack of investment of effort on your part. with the amount of high quality beginner focused material available on youtube across all DAW's you've really got no excuse. 

So.......just pick one and write some music. 
    This. They all have a steep learning curve to start with, so if you give up on one and start with another, you'll waste a lot of time learning a new system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    I used Cubase but switched to Propellerhead Reason as I found it quicker and more intuitive to work with. 
  • Started on a light version of pro-tools that came with my M-Box 2. But of course Avid decided to de-support that great little interface.
    Spent a while on cracked versions of Cubase. Then a long time on Reaper, but I found I was spending too much time playing with the look and feel and workflow options rather than actually creating.
    Then back an fourth between Studio one and Cakewalk (when it was free).
    Currently have both Logic (via my son's family share) and Studio one Artist (free licence with my Presonus interface).
    I find I now use logic for sketching out songs, but Studio One for actual recording and mixing.
    I do find Logic relies far too much on short cuts which is great for a very regular user, but not the occasional hobbyist. But because it comes with so many instruments it is good to get a song started.
    However I recently moved from PC to M2 Mac mini and am pissed quite a few plugs-in are no longer compatible, especially Xpand!

• Moved from Ableton to Reaper, mainly because Ableton updates were costing more than I thought was justifiable given that Reaper looked like it would serve my purpose just as well at a lower price. I think that was a solid decision. But I'm not a frequent or expert enough recorder for my recommendation to count for much.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    PC_Dave said:
    I use Studio One - suits me for what I need it for
    Same.  It came with my entry-level interface but I like it.

I have EZ Drummer, too, which can work alone or within Studio One.

I also have Logic now but l haven’t figured out how to use it yet.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Reaper. 
    I liked Mixbus too but can never get it to work with my Roland Octa Capture.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I love Logic Pro , but I’ve not used it for ages & will literally have to start from scratch ,I’ve got my plugins loaded anyway , some 80s synth’s  and Eventide H3000 factory & tricerachorus 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I use Cakewalk. It's free and it's good. Yep it's soon going to be unsupported but it's a full pro set up for nothing. Hard to argue against tbh - give it a go, nothing lost but your time.

I started out using the first version of Cubase, and can remember version 1 of fruity loops. I used Acid for a while too.

I've got a mac set up with Logic Pro X but haven't had the time to get to grips with it. 
  • Logic, because it's cheap and equipped with more than enough plugins and instruments for my needs (demoing stuff for my band and doing some kraut/electronic/kosmische stuff for my personal Soundcloud), so I don't have to invest in them or overload my system exploring other free and paid possibilities.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Pro Tools. 

Downgraded to Studio from Ultimate a few months ago. 

Have got Reaper installed to learn. 
  • Been using Cakewalk for a good while now..  does what I need...

Will probably have to look for an alternative solution eventually
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    I use Cubase, mostly Cubase Elements 8 because it doesn't need the usb dongle plugged in. I also have Artist 11 which I've never really used yet to be honest but I will do when I finally buy my new desktop computer as I'll be able to leave the usb plugged in. I think the only difference I'll really notice is more plugins and less error messages when booting it up (can't find this, don't have license for this, la di da di da)

I have got Reaper but I don't think I'll bother installing it on the new machine as I find it too hard to do the simple things that I know how to do on Cubase - not a criticism of the software as such, but more my ability to learn and remember new stuff in the very short periods of time I have to actually do any recording.

That's why I use Cubase - I started on Cubasis at school in early 00s, 6th form used Cubase as well, so while it's annoying at times (As is literally every piece of software for anything, ever, to somebody of my brain style) I do know how to do basics really quickly and that's the level I'm operating at.

It does seem to change random settings each time I open it though - forgets interface settings, or my keyboard will work as a midi input for instruments on one track, then I open another and it doesn't then work on either of them, but again I suspect it's just that I don't have enough time or intelligence to work it out properly
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I use Bitwig

FL is pretty fun for electronic stuff.
    The recording side of FLS works really well too. 

I like it because the drum pattern stuff works really well. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • So @Emp_Fab ...how many tunes have  you recorded so far? 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I only got the bloody iMac sorted on the weekend!  I haven't even looked at any Pro Tools tutorials yet!
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086

You know you just might not. I will keep going with Cakewalk until it can't do something I want it to do. This is an unlikely scenario for me given that it's a hobby and I usually just record audio and midi, do a bit of mixing and mastering. The spec is way overkill for even that requirement.

Cakewalk gets no credit really and it's a brilliant bit of kit, chock full of features and has a good workflow. All for nowt.
    Why it isn't the default go to for anyone looking for an inexpensive option, I don't know. I'd pick it over Reaper anyday.
  • Reaper, with my Helix rack.

There are loads of really good vids on YT now.
  • Snap said:

You know you just might not. I will keep going with Cakewalk until it can't do something I want it to do. This is an unlikely scenario for me given that it's a hobby and I usually just record audio and midi, do a bit of mixing and mastering. The spec is way overkill for even that requirement.

Cakewalk gets no credit really and it's a brilliant bit of kit, chock full of features and has a good workflow. All for nowt.
    Why it isn't the default go to for anyone looking for an inexpensive option, I don't know. I'd pick it over Reaper anyday.
    Here's hoping. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?