Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can anyone recommend any solderless wire conductor connectors that are good to use on guitars? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can anyone recommend any solderless wire conductor connectors that are good to use on guitars?

What's Hot
Was looking on Amazon at all the solderless wire connectors available, but was hoping to get recommendations on ones that people have used on their guitars for size, ease of connection,longevity etc. Much obliged if someone can point to a decent value but quality product. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• None of the block connector type. Yes, they are easy to push on to the pins but, then, they are equally easy to inadvertently pull off again. 

The EMG Solderless™ control interconnection cables are of one standard length. Sometimes, these barely reach their destination. Other times, it is necessary to double the cable around on itself, robbing space in the control cavity.

The narrower semi-Solderless cables used by Seymour Duncan and Fishman Fluence are better. Cut to length and hard wire into the pots and switches. It is only really the pickup end where the block connector system is a boon.

I am increasingly discontent with the DiMarzio solderless system. On Stratocaster-sized pickups, the connector pins have to be oriented along the length of each pickup. Unless you allow a loop of output cable beneath each pickup, this obliges the cable to make a sharp turn, at its weakest point, right next to the pickup, potentially straining some of the individual conductors.

Systems with screw-down terminals for the the pickup conductors offer the same benefits as Solderless™ block connectors without so much of the fuss. e.g. Seymour Duncan Liberator and some of the harnesses offered by Six String Supplies.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The best I have literally used, and Ive tried many, are the Pedalpatch ones.

Andertons stock them, and they are simple and reliable (unlike my own soldering which for some reason, I cannot even master the basics !)

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/pedalboards/pedalboard-cable-kits/pedalpatch-solderless-pedal-dc-cable-kit
  • Ah, I think I posted about pedals !!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I've used ones from remote-control car/aeroplane sellers.
  • Ah, I think I posted about pedals !!
    Likewise, I interpreted "use on guitars" to mean use INSIDE guitars rather than use WITH guitars, between them and amplification.
    Be seeing you.
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I like the brass banana connector types, I've put them into any guitars I have where I know I'm likely to swap pickups more than once a year or so for pure convenience:

Depending on the circuit layout you may want to heatshrink/insulate them too though.
  • I use wagos on mine, haven't had an issue yet but I do ensure I install them securely with VHB tape and lots of slack,

I use the big 5ways for making ground buses, then the simple back to back ones for hooking up to the pickups. I do it for future techs having an easier time working on them or so customers can easily audition pickups.

This is from when I was first testing them as its a 3 way but since then I've fully embraced them,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    More recently I've taken to using little screw terminal blocks; typically the legs can be soldered to pot/switch tabs and then the trailing pickup/output wires can be screwed in.
  • I use wagos on mine, haven't had an issue yet but I do ensure I install them securely with VHB tape and lots of slack,

I use the big 5ways for making ground buses, then the simple back to back ones for hooking up to the pickups. I do it for future techs having an easier time working on them or so customers can easily audition pickups.

This is from when I was first testing them as its a 3 way but since then I've fully embraced them,

Looks great, can I pick your brains please? Do you think these would work for the cable shield/ground on trad style humbuckers as well? Obviously the hot wire would be fine but the metal shield could be problematic.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

I have started to do a lot more rewiring of guitars and have been looking for a ground bus solution as some of the setups are getting pretty messy cable routing to look at.

• The Swamp City Shakers
  • Boromedic said:
    I use wagos on mine, haven't had an issue yet but I do ensure I install them securely with VHB tape and lots of slack,

Looks great, can I pick your brains please? Do you think these would work for the cable shield/ground on trad style humbuckers as well? Obviously the hot wire would be fine but the metal shield could be problematic.
    So typically for braided I tend to expose a good 50mm of bare wire and then neatly wrap round the braid, solder it onto the braid and then run that to the ground bus. nice way to keep the pickup wires tidy too. 

For the multi hookup style humbuckers ill typically split the shield further back to tap off to ground then reshield with heatshrink,

Hope that helps!
  • Boromedic said:
    I use wagos on mine, haven't had an issue yet but I do ensure I install them securely with VHB tape and lots of slack,

So typically for braided I tend to expose a good 50mm of bare wire and then neatly wrap round the braid, solder it onto the braid and then run that to the ground bus. nice way to keep the pickup wires tidy too. 

For the multi hookup style humbuckers ill typically split the shield further back to tap off to ground then reshield with heatshrink,

Hope that helps!
    Thanks mate, thats great, my soldering skills are poor so was looking for a cheap fix :joy: appreciate the thorough reply though :+1: 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    Hmmm…. I’ve been using Wagos to replace light fittings etc and it never occurred to me to use them this way. Brilliant!!!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...