Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Marshall style amp head or combo with switchable dual master volumes - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Marshall style amp head or combo with switchable dual master volumes

What's Hot
As the title suggests really, I really fancy getting a marshall style amp but need that volume boost for solos and don't want to run 4 cables to put a boost in the loop etc.

I remember the cornford mk50kii had switchable dual MVs and I think there's a Friedman with the same. 

Anything else I'm missing?
https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• My memory is a little hazy, but I think the Marshall JCM900 SLX did this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The DSL40C and DSL100H, but you'll need the 6-button footswitch.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Orange OR30?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    All JVM models do this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DSL40CR - if you buy the 6 way footswitch and upgrade to a Creamback celestion (subject to taste obvs - just not a fan of the V-type personally) it should still cost less than £850. 

The cheapest JVM is well over a grand new and to be honest for the classic rock sounds I use, I actually prefer the DSL voicing to the JVM once they’re on a level playing field speaker-wise. I have a JVM502C going out the door this week for that very reason, as the DSL40 has displaced it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Ceriatone King Kong?

https://ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-king-kong-50/

Two separate Plexi Preamps with switchable options.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    Laney TT50 & TT100 as older, wildcard options too.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    DSL40CR with the 6 button foot switch.  Job done, and you can also switch between clean, crunch, ultra gain and ultra-ultra gain.  It also lets you switch the loop in and out, but I apprehend this will not be of interest to you.
  • Yeah not really interested in the JVM or DSL40c I had a dsl50 and 100 back in the day. 

I really want a 20-40w compact head that does super lead to jcm800 tones.

Basically a marshall studio 20w jcm800 head but with a single button that gives a volume boost.

• exocet said:
    Ceriatone King Kong?

https://ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-king-kong-50/

Two separate Plexi Preamps with switchable options.
    Looks great, but more after a single channel with a volume boost type of thing

• The Rhythm Clip on the Studio Jubilee is JCM800-ish.  Then you can footswitch to the lead channel which has an independent volume control.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    The new Victory Super Sheriff has dual master volumes. Spendy, though.
    Tim
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Yeah not really interested in the JVM or DSL40c I had a dsl50 and 100 back in the day. 

I really want a 20-40w compact head that does super lead to jcm800 tones.

Basically a marshall studio 20w jcm800 head but with a single button that gives a volume boost.
    Out of interest, why not a DSL40CR?  If it’s previous bad experience with DSL reliability, the 40C doesn’t have this issue.  

My understanding is that the DSL was basically designed to replicate the 800 and more besides.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    JCM900 High Gain Master Volume and SL-X
    JVMs
    New DSL40 and 100

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Maybe try my Hook R20 when I get it back mate. One channel does the Fender thing but the other channel does a very good Marshall with switchable dual master volumes  ;)
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 115

ChrisCox1994 said:
    As the title suggests really, I really fancy getting a marshall style amp but need that volume boost for solos and don't want to run 4 cables to put a boost in the loop etc.

I remember the cornford mk50kii had switchable dual MVs and I think there's a Friedman with the same. 

I can vouch for the Cornford. It’s a stellar amp if you want that bright, crisp sound and also has the gain boost in the drive channel. It’s far and away the most complete gigging amp I own or indeed have owned, but it’s not a cheap date and there are some sounds it needs help for. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I think Marshall really need to produce a 40 or 50 watt modern-day DSL head.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• As the title suggests really, I really fancy getting a marshall style amp but need that volume boost for solos and don't want to run 4 cables to put a boost in the loop etc.

Sounds to me like you're the exact target market the the Gigrig Underliner.

• As the title suggests really, I really fancy getting a marshall style amp but need that volume boost for solos and don't want to run 4 cables to put a boost in the loop etc.

Sounds to me like you're the exact target market the the Gigrig Underliner.

yeah i mean, this with the badcat combo i already own would be a killer rock gig setup to be honest 

• Out of interest, what's your objection to just popping an EQ in the loop?  It's simple, cheap, and you can boost the mids too.

• Out of interest, what's your objection to just popping an EQ in the loop?  It's simple, cheap, and you can boost the mids too.
    He said:
    ...don't want to run 4 cables to put a boost in the loop etc.
    Putting an eq in the loop and switching from the front of the stage would require running two additional cables to front of stage (send + return).

The Underliner has a remote switching unit that only requires one cable - the main unit stays close to the amp.

R.
    He said:
    Putting an eq in the loop and switching from the front of the stage would require running two additional cables to front of stage (send + return).

The Underliner has a remote switching unit that only requires one cable - the main unit stays close to the amp.

R.
    Yeah, I get that.  But it's only one more cable than using an amp with a footswitch.  Just seems a lot of hassle/expense finding another amp.  I'm sure the OP can find someone to make him a cable or two...   ;)

He said:

R.
    Yeah, I get that.  But it's only one more cable than using an amp with a footswitch.  Just seems a lot of hassle/expense finding another amp.  I'm sure the OP can find someone to make him a cable or two...   ;)
    Setup time, the spare cable becomes a main cable which means carrying 5 cables to every gig instead of 3, don't want to change my whole board layout around from everything in the front to split, cos once I put a boost in the loop I'll put reverb and delay... then I'm back to the complicated setup I cut down from 5/6 years ago

• chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    You might want to visit the Tone King Royalist thread
  • Didn't MJW produce something like this once?
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 218
    Didn't MJW produce something like this once?     My MJW has a footswitchable boost 

• timmypix said:

So does the Victory Sheriff 25 and it's £800 cheaper.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    timmypix said:

So does the Victory Sheriff 25 and it's £800 cheaper.
    Ah, didn't know they'd put it on the 25, too, that's cool.
    Tim
  • Setup time, the spare cable becomes a main cable which means carrying 5 cables to every gig instead of 3, don't want to change my whole board layout around from everything in the front to split, cos once I put a boost in the loop I'll put reverb and delay... then I'm back to the complicated setup I cut down from 5/6 years ago
    Fair enough.

(4-cable method is a doddle to set up with a patch box and cable snake, though.)

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    edited September 2023
    What sort of budget you looking at? 

A Friedman Small Box combo would do what you’re after. Shared EQ, footswitch between a different gain and volume level.

“Channel” two voiced slightly more modern (think 800 ish), channel one voiced more Plexi ish. 

One button footswitch. Simple. 

I also happen to be selling one…. 

PM me if you want the Reverb link. We could work out a deal.