Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Neck scalloping - got any advice? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Neck scalloping - got any advice?

What's Hot
I've always been intrigued by scalloped necks, and after mentions in a thread or two recently I fancy having a go at one, probably from the 13th fret up. I've just bought a cheap stratish neck off eBay to bastardise.

Any thoughts - tools, process, pitfalls etc? I will be checking Youtube for videos but it's always nice to hear from someone who has actually had a go at something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    A rat rail file will get you most of the way there for higher frets.    Just go slow and start small.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited September 2023
    You’re almost certainly gonna lose your fret markers.  

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    The few times I've scalloped fretboards I've used a round microplane file. They cut really fast and cleanly.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    I’ll pop in with some pointers when I can - busy at the moment

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Take a dremel with a router base and small cutter and cut a slim trough to the depth of the scallop that you desire.
    This gives you and depth stop to aim for 
    Take some different sized wooden dowels and wrap sandpaper around them
    You may wish to put a wrap of masking over the hump of the frets so as to not damage them 
    When we Scallop a not yet fretted neck we use a couple of “sacrificial frets” - we remove the barbs and slim the tang so they can slide in and be used to target the width of the scallops

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Thanks all for the advice!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Well my cheap neck came in so I had a go this week. It went well so I put the neck on one of my guitars and I'm liking the feel! I think I'm going to go for it on my current guitar build. There will be one issue in that my Fret markers are shallow so I will probably have to work out putting new ones in.

I did the 14th fret up, but now I'm curious about the whole thing so I think I'll just do the rest on my cheap neck and see how it goes. I anticipate it being a bit harder on the lower frets with the greater space.

Here's a couple of pix:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter