Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any VW T Campervan owners? Experiences please - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any VW T Campervan owners? Experiences please

What's Hot
For a while now, I've liked the idea of something like a VW T5 Camper, particularly as for the last 5 years, we've been holidaying in the UK, particularly Scotland. These things appeal to me for that purpose but also as an everyday vehicle as they're not a stupid size or cumbersome and I've seen some great conversions.

I'm within the M25 and so far, from reading up on them, I'm aware that many are both diesel and manual and that if looked after or even with reconditioned engines, changed water tanks and cam belts, really high mileage examples should not be an issue. Also, older ones that won't be ULEZ compliant are also popular and so I have to think about that.

Are there any owners of these on here and any tips, pros and cons, running cost advice, best model or common issues? As mentioned, I want to be able to use this as much as I can for everyday use to make it worth it. On that note, are there any other similar-sized and decent ones you'd recommend?

Cheers and as one gets into the retirement home straight (well another 5-7 years), I'm thinking about these things and what I'd like to do.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• If you haven't used a VW camper before might be worth hiring one for a long weekend. I don't think there are any great problems with them as day to day vehicles (won't be the most economical thing on the road but modern ones offer a car like drive and I find the upright position in vans comfortable, they are big but you can judge the corners) but for a mature couple you might find the sleeping and living aspects a bit of a squash. A lot of VW owners seem to have such elaborate awning systems that I wonder why they just didn't buy a tent. 
    But there's a huge culture around these and you'll find Facebook groups, dub festivals and so on. 
    Interestingly watching someone on YouTube at Dusseldorf Caravan Salon this week (largest RV exhibition in the world) apparently the market is slowing down a lot because credit has become so expensive. If you can buy for cash might be a good time to buy in the next few months. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Don't rule out alternatives such as the VW Caddy. Smaller than a full size T5 type campervan, easier to drive & park, with incredibly versatile Tardis like interiors.
    My mate has one that has carried 5 of us & our weekend away gear; transported motorbikes & used as an overnight sleeper without any modifications.
    You can also get purpose built 'mini' campervan versions
    https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/volkswagen/caddy-california/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    If you haven't used a VW camper before might be worth hiring one for a long weekend. I don't think there are any great problems with them as day to day vehicles (won't be the most economical thing on the road but modern ones offer a car like drive and I find the upright position in vans comfortable, they are big but you can judge the corners) but for a mature couple you might find the sleeping and living aspects a bit of a squash. A lot of VW owners seem to have such elaborate awning systems that I wonder why they just didn't buy a tent. 
    But there's a huge culture around these and you'll find Facebook groups, dub festivals and so on. 
    Interestingly watching someone on YouTube at Dusseldorf Caravan Salon this week (largest RV exhibition in the world) apparently the market is slowing down a lot because credit has become so expensive. If you can buy for cash might be a good time to buy in the next few months. 
    @EricTheWearythanks and I recently hired a VW Transporter for the weekend but for move purposes and enjoyed the size of it etc and so I even on tighter, single track roads, I don't see it's size as problem but I noted the rental firm also hired out campervans and so tha;;

@Kittyfrisk - thanks, too, for the suggestion of the Caddy and I quite like the idea of that but I need to see the size of that. I prefer to keep everything inside but we do have an excellent Vango blow up tent which takes no time at all to put up and are very well set up for camping gear and so that could work.

Great suggestions so far and thanks, Chaps and of course, it would need one of these

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    If you are tempted to hire a camper van to check it out, be aware of all the extras that they tack on.  The insurance excess is very large, and to bring it down to a realistically affordable level you have to pay an additional per-day premium.  The insurance doesn't normally cover windscreen and window breakage, so there's another per-day premium to add on (still with an excess though), and annoyingly most companies will make you liable for tyre repair call-outs unless you pay yet another per-day premium.  It all adds up to an expensive hire.

I think it was a T6 that I hired back in 2018 to go away for a week with a friend.  It was smooth and nippy to drive, easy to park, and low enough not to have to even think about the height of restriction barriers in car parks.  One issue is the storage of a clip-on awning (enclosed type).  There isn't a lot of baggage space in the area at the back when you lift the tailgate, so the rolled-up awning would have to be stored in the seating area until you stopped and deployed it (an easy enough job in itself), so it takes up space and gets in the way at times you stop to sit in the back of the van and have some tea or a meal.

The one I had was the type with the pop-up roof canopy.  The ceiling of the van is very rigid and is designed to be used as a sleeping area quite comfortably if a sleeping mat has been provided for this upstairs platform, but it's not particularly easy to climb up into and is very noisy when rain falls on the canvas.  One other disconcerting aspect was that when I locked the van while parked up overnight it set the alarm, so the slightest movement inside activated it.  When I phoned the hire company I was told that it wasn't possible to lock the van and have the alarm disabled, so we had to sleep in it with the doors unlocked.  As far as I gather this is the alarm system that it came fitted with.

This size of campervan doesn't have a toilet.  Portapotty chemical toilets can be quite low to sit on, but there are some more normal height ones.  If you hire a campervan you would usually have to bring your own, and that takes up additional storage space.  You can get pop-up utility tents to stick outside and put a bucket with a seat in them, but that takes up a bit of additional storage when folded down and if you take a light into it while using your bucket, everybody around can clearly see your silhouette doing so.
    BillDL said:
    If you are tempted to hire a camper van to check it out, be aware of all the extras that they tack on.  The insurance excess is very large, and to bring it down to a realistically affordable level you have to pay an additional per-day premium.  The insurance doesn't normally cover windscreen and window breakage, so there's another per-day premium to add on (still with an excess though), and annoyingly most companies will make you liable for tyre repair call-outs unless you pay yet another per-day premium.  It all adds up to an expensive hire.

I think it was a T6 that I hired back in 2018 to go away for a week with a friend.  It was smooth and nippy to drive, easy to park, and low enough not to have to even think about the height of restriction barriers in car parks.  One issue is the storage of a clip-on awning.  There isn't a lot of baggage space in the area at the back when you lift the tailgate, so the rolled-up awning would have to be stored in the seating area until you stopped and deployed it (an easy enough job in itself), so it takes up space and gets in the way at times you stop to sit in the back of the van and have some tea or a meal.

The one I had was the type with the pop-up roof canopy.  The ceiling of the van is very rigid and is designed to be used as a sleeping area quite comfortably if a sleeping mat has been provided for this upstairs platform, but it's not particularly easy to climb up into and is very noisy when rain falls on the canvas.  One other disconcerting aspect was that when I locked the van while parked up overnight it set the alarm, so the slightest movement inside activated it.  When I phoned the hire company I was told that it wasn't possible to lock the van and have the alarm disabled, so we had to sleep in it with the doors unlocked.  As far as I gather this is the alarm system that it came fitted with.

This size of campervan doesn't have a toilet.  Portapotty chemical toilets can be quite low to sit on, but there are some more normal height ones.  If you hire a campervan you would usually have to bring your own, and that takes up additional storage space.  You can get pop-up utility tents to stick outside and put a bucket with a seat in them, but that takes up a bit of additional storage when folded down and if you take a light into it while using your bucket, everybody around can clearly see your sihouette doing so.
    Thanks and that's great info
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited September 2023
    Cos , drop me a PM with your number mate and I’ll bore you about mine . We’ve just bought a T6 and are having it converted by a mate who works at VanWorx in Dorset who have a really good rep. We’ve picked his brains and have bought all the books so can probably answer a lot of your questions . You are of course very welcome to pop down and give mine a spin too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cos , drop me a PM with your number mate and I’ll bore you about mine . We’ve just bought a T6 and are having it converted by a mate who works at VanWorx in Dorset who have a really good rep. We’ve picked his brains and have bought all the books so can probably answer a lot of your questions . You are of course very welcome to pop down and give mine a spin too

Cheers mate and will do
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    It depends on what you want to use it for.
    As a daily driver and an occasional weekender a SWB or LWB T5 is eminently useable. For longer periods away you really need to think about the layout, in particular the sleeping arrangements.
    We have a LWB factory high roof and we have two single beds rather than the standard layout of one fairly narrow double, they have to be made up for sleeping but that is easy. We are both in our 70's and find them good and comfy.
    The LWB gives room for a proper cassette toilet, decent fridge and good cooking facilities.
    The space over the cab has a decent amount of storage for all sorts of gubbins, chairs and bedding etc.
    We usually spend 3 or 4 months in Spain and Portugal in the winter and rarely have any problems.
    They are not cheap to run and you have to keep on top of maintenance but they last forever if looked after.
    One word of warning-----avoid the 180bhp biturbo-----they tend to go bang!!
    Please feel free to message me as well.
    Roger.  

• We have a 2014 T5 2.0 TDi with Highline spec and SWB, which was converted from a carpenter's van by someone who does that as a side business. We bought it fresh last year and love it. Previously owned a T4 but it was too much effort to keep road worthy.

Or does in a regular parking spot and has enough oomph to drive like a regular car. For the two of us we find it perfectly spacious for weekends since we tend not to sit around in it and rather get out and about. Great also for one night stop overs at friends or wherever is needed - this year we stayed in a nice pub car park for free before an early ferry crossing, and also at a farm on the night we saw Paul Weller play at Thetford Forest.

Pop top really helps because you can stand up normally in all of the usable living space (not the back where the Rock n Roll bed folds up).

They're expensive compared to other makes, but then they hold their value so it's swings n roundabouts. We like the look of the VW vans more than others.

It's even great as a day van - changing out of wet or sweaty clothes after a hike, or if you've been on a sandy beach or got mucky on your mountain bike.

Fuel economy is ok too, but ULEZ is something you'll need to consider inside the M25. Might be you need a T6 or newer.
  • So, as Cos already knows, I picked up my 1st T5 yesterday - it’s the earlier “pre-facelift” T5 (2008) with the 5 Cylinder 2.5 in it - Sportline 130.

Its had a heap of work done to it, including new engine and gearbox/clutch (3k miles ago) and a wealth of other things, 5.1 front end facelift etc etc - the previous owner was pretty meticulous about it - it’s only done 155k which is nothing for these - rule of thumb I was given by a few guys who know these inside out was to treat the mileage as double what you’d expect in a car and work out from there - 155 over 15 years is 10kish or taking a car at what would be just under 80k - over 15 is just 5kish..

For me, A/C and 6 speed were high on the list (and pop top). Also make sure service history is up to date, the mileage and use of these vans in their previous lives and the key to longevity is upkeep of the service intervals - I think this one I have lost it’s engine due to the whole Oil thing which is very important on the BNZ engines - they are ultra-sensitive to correct oil grades and service intervals!! Even VW themselves got the grades wrong on them - has to be 507…

So far, so good, a few bits I need to do to it, mostly my own things - better head unit, better swivel double seat  up front and mechanically needs Top Mounts doing, nothing major.

As already mentioned, avoid the 180 BiTurbo like the plague, 60/70k and they go pop at an alarming rate, VW won’t even acknowledge the fact either - sweet spot for me would be a 2.0 tdi in 140 guise with 6 speed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions so far.

Reading up some more about this and following a couple of recommendations, the *T6 2.0 TDi 140 bhp with 6 speed and A/C probably meets our criteria for every day use and as a weekender and also for occasional long-term use. We certainly don't need an LWB and that kind of space and this model* won't be cumbersome around town or to park.

In the main, they'll only be 2 of us and the dog in it with a maximum of 3 adults at any other time if our son joins us. A bed, table, seats, stove and fridge with possibly a pop-up roof should be suffice.

Ex-RAC to be converted has been another good suggestion as mechanically, they're looked after.

Is it my imagination or there not many automatics or petrol ones around for sale and it's more diesel and manuals? I'd read that the automatics were unreliable? True?  
  • @Kebabkid ;

When we bought ours it also had a "diesel heater" installed, which we hadn't particularly wanted. However, it has been really useful on those chilly nights to give the cabin a quick warm through. Ours runs directly from the main diesel tank, and is neatly installed behind the driver's seat and beside the fridge. It's dead space otherwise.

For engines/gearboxes, diesel is common mostly because these are vans designed to lug a lot of weight (2.8/3.0/3.2 tonnes) where diesel excels. I think automatic is just something else to go wrong, and a cost which most original van buyers won't have wanted for use as a trade vehicle. So, you'll find more choices with a regular diesel/manual combo.

Ours has been chipped to 140bhp and it pulls great. I would have liked a 6th gear and maybe better ratios but the 5 gear box is fine. We get around 40mpg cruising at 70mph.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • <snip>.

Ours has been chipped to 140bhp and it pulls great. I would have liked a 6th gear and maybe better ratios but the 5 gear box is fine. We get around 40mpg cruising at 70mph.
    Can't comment on the vans themselves, but just wanted to highlight that some camper vans are subject to different (lower) speed limits that others and it's all a bit confusing. Some are allowed to do 70mph on motorways and others restricted to 60mph. Some are allowed to do 60mph on single carriageway roads and others restricted to 50mph. Some are allowed to do 70mph on dual carriageways (non-motorways) and others restricted to 60mph. It's a bloody mess, so make sure you know what the law is for whatever it is you get. It's a byproduct of weight and whether or not it was built in the factory to be a camper van or if it was a commercial van at first and then converted. 
  • It is indeed a grey area. I haven't said where I cruised at that speed! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    <snip>.

Can't comment on the vans themselves, but just wanted to highlight that some camper vans are subject to different (lower) speed limits that others and it's all a bit confusing. Some are allowed to do 70mph on motorways and others restricted to 60mph. Some are allowed to do 60mph on single carriageway roads and others restricted to 50mph. Some are allowed to do 70mph on dual carriageways (non-motorways) and others restricted to 60mph. It's a bloody mess, so make sure you know what the law is for whatever it is you get. It's a byproduct of weight and whether or not it was built in the factory to be a camper van or if it was a commercial van at first and then converted. 
    I've been doing 80+ mph and have been speedily and comfortably overtaken or passed by a VW Transporter :) but common sense (cough) prevails.
  • <snip>.

You can, theoretically, get a van conversion reclassified as a campervan with the DVLA. 

Vans (commercial vehicles) and campervans are also in different insurance groups. Generally it will be (a lot) cheaper to insure a campervan although if you are using it to commute that potentially bumps it up again. My Fiat (so uncool...) based camper costs less than most cars of the same value would to insure. But that's based on limited mileage (leisure vehicles typically 5000 miles per annum) and it's a big, slow vehicle that I don't use for work, commute,etc, although I do get 90 days European coverage within it. 

So, if you are having a conversion done worth a check on the V5 document and an application to change if necessary. 

Most breakdown services would be okay with a VW camper, they tend to max out at 3500kg, but always worth a check with whatever you have at the time. 
  • From what I read in campervan conversion forums it is very difficult to get a change of class from DVLA these days. The requirements are very specific and they are very fussy. But also there aren't really as many benefits as people think. I'm told that the classification doesn't make a difference to insurance or speed limits, or even MOT procedure.
  • I'm pretty sure not MOT, mine gets serviced and MOT'd at a commercial vehicle place. Apart from having a bed,etc, in the back it is just the same vehicle as could be used for carrying crates of dog food. I had read there could be a big difference in insurance although I've never had cause to test that out. 
  • Kebabkid said:

Is it my imagination or there not many automatics or petrol ones around for sale and it's more diesel and manuals? I'd read that the automatics were unreliable? True?  
    I work part time for a camper van hire company and all our Californias are diesel automatics. We have few, if any, transmission reliability issues. Weak points on these are the plastic front seat trims and the bed clips in the roof bed. Various electronic sensors, e.g airbag ones, sensors can be temperamental too. However generally speaking the VW are by far and away the most reliable vans which we run.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    @roundthebend mentioned a "diesel heater".  This is the same system that is installed on commercial vehicles like tractor units for articulated trailers and 18 tonne vehicles fitted with beds for drivers to "overnight" in.  You need to have those heaters checked out regularly because there have been known instances of noxious fumes entering the cabs and poisoning the occupants, and it has usually been attributed to lack of maintenance checks.
  • Working in insurance as I do, and seeing a shit tonne of motorhome & camper policies, the Vw t5 has got to be one of the most popular camper conversions. 

I see loads of them. A lot are remapped which obviously helps with the additional weight of the conversion. 

As for DVLA, they will likely re-register it as a 'van with side windows'. The reason for this is because they need to give an accurate description of how the vehicle looks on the road.. and conversions generally arent recognisable as motorhomes/campers from the outside. 

But as for the vehicle itself, I know nothing. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    We were thinking of getting a camper a couple of years ago but it was becoming increasingly difficult to find something affordable, in the end we bought a 40 yo 3 berth Freedom Caravan as a do-er upper The Nissan Note pulls it no problem, been out twice in it so far and its great, very small, just under 750kg but more roomy than a camper, sort of a compromise I guess.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited October 2023
    We have a T6 Highline panel van, bought from a local painter. Very simple conversion done since. Bulkhead out, wood panelling out. Soundproofed, insulated, all round carpeting, Altro flooring, Camperglass windows back and sides, full width rock n roll bed, Loc8 table, leisure battery, electrics. All work in progress. You dont need to get it all done at once, you can do it in stages and add or change as you go.

MikeS said:
    We have a T6 Highline panel van, bought from a local painter. Very simple conversion done since. Bulkhead out, wood panelling out. Soundproofed, insulated, all round carpeting, Altro flooring, Camperglass windows back and sides, full width rock n roll bed, Loc8 table. You dont need to get it all done at once, you can do it in stages and add or change as you go.
    Sounds good and ot would be a simpler but still comfortable set up that I want. 
    The Rock bed is pretty important but I heard they can be pricey.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited October 2023
    Kebabkid said:
    Sounds good and ot would be a simpler but still comfortable set up that I want. 
    The Rock bed is pretty important but I heard they can be pricey.
    For a good M1 tested R&R bed, with your choice of colours, supplied, fitted with seat belts, and installed, It's roughly £2.5k for a full width, slightly less for a 3/4. Or £3k for a RIB bed. Or you can buy the frames and have them covered yourself, or maybe buy used from forums/facebook/ebay.

• rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Don't  forget that R&R beds, if you want to use them as travelling seats have to be crash tested, certified and fitted with approved seat belts.