Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). When you just can't hit it solid (golf) - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

When you just can't hit it solid (golf)

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2359
I got up early  it's a beautiful day, so went up to Glenalmond to play golf. I had the course to myself. There wasn't a breath of wind. What could possibly go wrong?

Everything apparently! I just couldn't get solid contact. I was seeing tops and duffs the like of which I thought I'd left behind ages ago. When I did manage to get the ball in the air, I was hitting a fairly savage pull draw, which is not my normal miss. I called it quits round about the seventh hole.

It's the hope that one day I'll start to improve that keeps me going back...
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Half swings, they go 70 to 80% of distance , usually with more accuracy, and your wedges and chips get better at the same time

Good luck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dew on the grass... ?? Its surprising how the smallest of changes can affect impact...

An unintentional draw my understanding is comes from what they call a 'spoon' so your swing path might have been slightly over the ball than usual..

When it goes wrong it does go wrong, one of the things having lessons taught me was resetting after a bad shot, plus having the knowledge of what you may have done wrong and correcting it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    There was indeed a heavy dew and it's spongy heavy ground at the best of times.

I have had a few lessons and I need to get better at trusting what my coach is telling me to work on...
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    I'm surprised you had a golf course to yourself on a Sunday morning. That's the dream.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    It is. It's a 9 hole course at Glenalmond School that members of public can play for a small annual fee. Easily one of the quietest courses and in beautiful surroundings. Definitely a case of a nice walk spoiled today!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    edited September 2023
    Sometimes you can only play with the game you've got, forgetting about the cameras and just getting round!

Seriously though sometimes I'll just go with a 7 iron, 3/4 swing and bump and run at every opportunity, no good playing flop shots when they are being repeatedly thinned and sent on to the next tee box etc etc

I remember the first time I played in Spain, the ground was so soft that every shot was hit fat as was used to playing on dry hard ground, it destroyed my game but was a huge learning curve.

Btw I'm still shockingly shit at golf, it's a cruel game
  • It can be a cruel game indeed... I played this morning and found it quite hard work. Managed to save an average score with birdie and three pars on last four holes but had a bit of a meltdown on front 9. 
    It's weird as I felt fresh, strong, happy and relaxed and technically nothing would suggest a struggle, but that's golf for you.

Still - I always enjoy being out in fresh air...
  • Same for me today. Last week great game. Today absolute pants!
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    ewal said:
    I got up early  it's a beautiful day, so went up to Glenalmond to play golf. I had the course to myself. There wasn't a breath of wind. What could possibly go wrong?

Everything apparently! I just couldn't get solid contact. I was seeing tops and duffs the like of which I thought I'd left behind ages ago. When I did manage to get the ball in the air, I was hitting a fairly savage pull draw, which is not my normal miss. I called it quits round about the seventh hole.

It's the hope that one day I'll start to improve that keeps me going back...
    No idea what your game is generally like but for me. If I’m am doing anything remotely similar to what you described I’d have to stop trying to hit the ball anywhere near as hard, and concentrate on a 60% effort swing and keeping it smooth and fluid. Usually grooves me back in so I can go back to the effort. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Yep....half backswing (which is actually still probably a full swing) ..eye on the ball, dont look til the balls gone...thats my routine anyhow....usually gets me back in the game

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    My goto club when the wheels are/have fallen off is my 8 iron. I use it from the tee, fairway and light rough until I feel confident about my game. Three 8 irons will get you close to any par 4 hole. We are not PGA professionals so we should adapt the game to suit us. And not the other way round. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    spark240 said:
    Yep....half backswing (which is actually still probably a full swing) ..eye on the ball, dont look til the balls gone...thats my routine anyhow....usually gets me back in the game
    I don't play much any more but my major failing has always been over-swinging. Check out Steve Stricker. On the seniors tour these days, I think, but a great ball striker and his shaft did not exceed the perpendicular (to the ground) on the backswing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    It can be a cruel game indeed... I played this morning and found it quite hard work. Managed to save an average score with birdie and three pars on last four holes but had a bit of a meltdown on front 9. 
    It's weird as I felt fresh, strong, happy and relaxed and technically nothing would suggest a struggle, but that's golf for you.

Still - I always enjoy being out in fresh air...
    Yep and somehow so many people somehow manage to fuck up such a simple activity by combining it with golf :-D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • When I have a day like that I slow the swing down and do half swings until I get my tempo back.. To hell with my score. And most importantly - i won't touch my driver. I'll tee off with a 5 wood or hybrid. Everyone's different but that's what works for me when I'm in a rut. 

I also make sure i warm up before a round if I know the course has a range or cages. If not then it's pot luck =) 
  • ghadghad Frets: 35
    Hmm, I took a 2-week break and then quit. YMMV!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Sounds like it totally spoiled a nice Sunday walk
  • I've been struggling with closing the club face down too early recently. The half or 3/4 swing makes a big difference. Tell myself to try and hit the ball right intentionally to keep the face more open at impact.

Sure I don't hit it as far, probably takes about 20 yards off per club, but it goes in a much more predictable direction.

I've also found pre-setting my weight onto the lead side helps a lot with hitting ball then turf. Not quite full on stack and tilt, but it keeps the weight more neutral with that swing feel.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.