Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is anyone on here into Northern Soul? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is anyone on here into Northern Soul?

What's Hot
BBC Radio 6 music is doing a Northern Soul All nighter tonight.
Some great tunes have been spun already .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Being a southerner into rock through the 70s I didn't even know that Northern Soul was a thing. But there are some cracking tunes that I always love when I hear them. Found this one at random a while ago:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    ^^^Love that one.

I'm a bit miffed that I've only just seen this thread and was listening to a bit of radio 6 yesterday, yet somehow missed any mention of this. :s
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFish said:
    ^^^Love that one.

I'm a bit miffed that I've only just seen this thread and was listening to a bit of radio 6 yesterday, yet somehow missed any mention of this. :s
    GoFish said:
    ^^^Love that one.

It’s all on the BBC 6 music site to listen to at your leisure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Somebody from my past was a Northern Soul devotee. I was exposed to a good many of those cheesy but fun songs from the Seventies. Nowadays, hearing them again brings sad thoughts. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Always been a rock fan, but I also love 'Northern Soul' music despite the shite fashion tropes & macho faux gymnastic dance moves from the lads  ;)
  • Always been a rock fan, but I also love 'Northern Soul' music despite the shite fashion tropes & macho faux gymnastic dance moves from the lads  ;)

Fortunately, we have Northern Soul Girl to make everything better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The records aren't really Northern Soul though are they. It's not like Brit pop, or other movements where bands got onboard to create a sound. They just started playing old records and dancing to them. 

It was a cool thing though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    axisus said:
    The records aren't really Northern Soul though are they. It's not like Brit pop, or other movements where bands got onboard to create a sound. They just started playing old records and dancing to them. 

It was a cool thing though.
    originally it was just the rare 60s 4-on-the-floor soul. Later on there were some appalling "northern soul" records.
  • We had some Northern Soul fans over here in Norfolk back in the late 70s. They used to get the DJ at the village hall disco to put on Dobie Gray's Out Of The floor and put on a bit of a show. As a 12 year old I used to watch in awe as they glided around the dance floor, happy times.

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Great memories of me and my much missed late uncle singing along to to Frankie Valli's The Night, that one always gets me, absolute stonker, I love the momentum of that song.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • It is something that passed me by at the time (although I guess in it's heyday I was quite young). However, it pops up on my radar from time to time. There is a pub in Derby I played several times and they would have a mostly Northern Soul DJ on before and after the bands and it's great loud music. We have a friend of the family, I guess in her early sixties now, who was a big northern soul fan and still goes to various events and I've listened to her chatting to Stuart Maconie on the radio about it. 
    There was that northern soul at the proms event this year I should dig out on the iPlayer. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Turns out my dad was WELL into Northern Soul. Found this out after my mum passed last year and the stories all came out. He asked her for a dance and she couldn't believe all these northern soul moves that came out on the dance floor lol. Quite like it!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter