Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sorted WTB Macbook pro or Mac mini - Misc £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sorted WTB Macbook pro or Mac mini

What's Hot
keithfkeithf Frets: 361
edited September 2023 in Misc £
Just something that i can run Helix native on,
Macbook would need HDMI !

Looking at the cheaper end of the market.
let me know what you have,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    To get HDMI out of a newer MacBook you’ll need an adapter as they’re usb c only. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 361
    drofluf said:
    To get HDMI out of a newer MacBook you’ll need an adapter as they’re usb c only. 
    Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Meant to add: but don’t let that put you off the adapters are relatively cheap - mine is about £20 and gives HDMI or VGA plus a couple of USB 2 or 3 ports. It’s also reliable   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    drofluf said:
    Meant to add: but don’t let that put you off the adapters are relatively cheap - mine is about £20 and gives HDMI or VGA plus a couple of USB 2 or 3 ports. It’s also reliable   
    yeh, no probs with adaptors as long as they do the job, 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    drofluf said:
    Some have a HDMI out.
    The 14"/16" Pro for example.

But at the cheaper end it is USBC.
    The adapters work fine.
    bump
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    edited September 2023
    Hi Keith. I’ve got a mid-2012 MBP I’d be willing to let go only for postage. It's quite old so there are a few caveats but I thought I'd offer it. 

Specs:

Core i7 2.3ghz
     16GB RAM
     256GB SSD
     HDMI
     15" Display (with a line of dead pixels and a few other stragglers here or there)

I've currently got Big Sur (11.0.1) running on it through a bit of a hack, but it would ship with the HD wiped so you could choose what Mac OS to install. The battery is useless so you'd have to run it off the mains 24/7, but the power brick is included. I've also upgraded the wireless card to support 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac networks for a bit faster throughput. Most all the ports work but I seem to remember one of the USB ports gave me an issue a few years back. (Just tested both USB, they work fine today)

It's still very usable so long as you are ready to accept the limitation and age of the hardware. If you just want to run Helix Native on it, it should work just fine. I can totally understand if it's not worth the hassle. Let me know. Thanks.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    pt22 said:
    Hi Keith. I’ve got a mid-2012 MBP I’d be willing to let go only for postage. It's quite old so there are a few caveats but I thought I'd offer it. 

Specs:

Core i7 2.3ghz
     16GB RAM
     256GB SSD
     HDMI
     15" Display (with a line of dead pixels and a few other stragglers here or there)

I've currently got Big Sur (11.0.1) running on it through a bit of a hack, but it would ship with the HD wiped so you could choose what Mac OS to install. The battery is useless so you'd have to run it off the mains 24/7, but the power brick is included. I've also upgraded the wireless card to support 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac networks for a bit faster throughput. Most all the ports work but I seem to remember one of the USB ports gave me an issue a few years back. (Just tested both USB, they work fine today)

It's still very usable so long as you are ready to accept the limitation and age of the hardware. If you just want to run Helix Native on it, it should work just fine. I can totally understand if it's not worth the hassle. Let me know. Thanks.

Hi @pt22  sorry to hijack the thread, but if @keithf isn't interested in your 2012 MBP, then I definitely would be.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    I might shift 2012 mini if thats of interest, 2.3 / i7 / 16G Ram / 1TB HDD + SSD ...Id need to clear some stuff off it first.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    I might shift 2012 mini if thats of interest, 2.3 / i7 / 16G Ram / 1TB HDD + SSD ...Id need to clear some stuff off it first.
    think i'm sorted now @Spark240, thanks for getting in touch