Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Slash’s pre-AFD Les Paul up for auction - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Slash’s pre-AFD Les Paul up for auction

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 6405
edited September 2023 in Guitar
His old Hunter Les Paul replica is up for auction, minimum bid $1,000,000.  Wonder how many squillions it’ll go for in the end?

https://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/Guns_N__Roses_Slash_First_Owned_Les_Paul__Hunter_B-LOT49353.aspx
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Meh - the top's crap.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    Pretty top but the shape is awful. I'm sure it's a good guitar but... it's just wrong.
    Tim
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypix said:
    Pretty top but the shape is awful. I'm sure it's a good guitar but... it's just wrong.
    I…..don’t think that’s why people will be bidding on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Are folk nuts..  
    This is an icon !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Are folk nuts..  
    This is an icon !
    Slash played a JHS Vintage too?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's a good thing he didn't play a PRS as he'd never be able to sell it..
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Seriously, I can't believe how many people would blow seriously stupid amounts of cash on copies of Gibson guitars (or even originals) just because of a passing celeb ownership association? Weird...  B)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    I mean, it’s not even a real Gibson, is it?  It’s like the mid-80s equivalent of a Harley Benton with pickup upgrades, right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I love Slashes playing , but so what.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Possibly interesting read for the acolytes   https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/guitars/slash-appetite-les-paul
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    If I found a million dollars that someone forgot, I would place a bid  B)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    That was a pre AFD guitar wasn’t it? Sold in 86 it says in the text. 

I think the AFD Derrig is a different guitar. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    So it’s a FAKE Gibson Les Paul. By definition on here, it’s a FAKE. We don’t condone those on this forum. No matter who built it or played it. Or do we have one rule for ‘normal people’ and another for expensive stuff? 

If it was a *great* guitar Slash would have bought it back, wouldn’t he? The fact he hasn’t speaks volumes… but hey, let’s all get worked up about a fake Les Paul that he jettisoned early on and has not tried to buy back. 

A million dollars? Ffs… 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    Change the title, this isn’t the AFD guitar. If the Derrig was for sale, which Slash still owns, it’d go for more than a million. 

I’d say the Hunter is right up there as far as iconic guitars go in Slash’s history as it was his first Les Paul and he played it a lot in Guns before AFD was recorded. It also has the province of belonging to Hunter who played for Alice Cooper and Peter Gabriel. 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    If it really belonged  to Mr Slash,, why would he want to buy it back now? He must have access to any guitar he ever wanted now, have anything built to his exact specs.
    Why should it be worth a million because he used to own it ???
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Aren’t there laws that prohibit the selling of counterfeit goods?
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Adamski said:
    Change the title, this isn’t the AFD guitar. If the Derrig was for sale, which Slash still owns, it’d go for more than a million. 
    Ask and ye shall receive…
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    edited September 2023
    beed84 said:
    If I found a million dollars that someone forgot, I would place a bid  B
    I see what you did there ;-p

I won't be bidding on it as I've no liquid assets at the moment with all my money being pretty tied up.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I imagine at the auction they'll all be like "back off, bitch"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    'Play authentic'
  • impmann said:
    So it’s a FAKE Gibson Les Paul. By definition on here, it’s a FAKE. We don’t condone those on this forum. No matter who built it or played it. Or do we have one rule for ‘normal people’ and another for expensive stuff? 

If it was a *great* guitar Slash would have bought it back, wouldn’t he? The fact he hasn’t speaks volumes… but hey, let’s all get worked up about a fake Les Paul that he jettisoned early on and has not tried to buy back. 

A million dollars? Ffs… 

I can't see anyone condoning it and also, it's not being sold in the classifieds. There are no rules against discussing counterfeit guitars.

There's only one post so far with any evidence of someone getting worked up that I can see!

Whatever it sells for will be due to its connection with Slash rather than its authenticity as a guitar. It's not a particularly interesting guitar in my view as it wasn't used on any recordings or for major tours. I never knew it even existed, and I've been into GnR for years.
  • impmann said:

A million dollars? Ffs… 
    Maybe you should report Slash to the relevant authorities for selling a counterfeit guitar way back in ‘86, that’ll show them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    impmann said:

A million dollars? Ffs… 
    Maybe you should report Slash to the relevant authorities for selling a counterfeit guitar way back in ‘86, that’ll show them.
    I think tone of voice is missing from my post…

We have folks fawning over a Les Paul copy with a Gibson logo applied that may have been played by Slash. Some of those self same folks get super narky about partcasters made using genuine Fender parts (and still showing Fender logos) and then sold… 

As I’ve said a gazillion times, a Les Paul copy is just that - using terms like ‘replica’ are just applied to justify high price tags (and often phoney Gibson logos), as though these are any less of a copy than a shitty old Columbus copy from the 1970s. I’m sure it’s a higher quality build than a Columbus but it’s no more of a replica than the plywood Jap crap. 

The point of the post was to point out that (parking Slash for a second) it’s a Les Paul copy… nothing more. And to fawn over it, yet to pour shitty water on anyone selling a Fender badged partcaster (that contains Fender parts) is a little hypocritical.

If it were ‘seminal’ or so fantastically important to Slash, he’d already own it. The fact that two famous players have owned it and then sold it says to me that it may be high quality but not ‘great’ (there is a difference). 

And as I say, a million dollars? Really, some have more money than sense. But I have no horse in this dog fight… so I hope whoever buys it is overjoyed by it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Dave8 said:
    That was a pre AFD guitar wasn’t it? Sold in 86 it says in the text. 

I think the AFD Derrig is a different guitar. 
    And one which you'd have to prise from his cold, dead hands I suspect!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    This is the AFD Kris Derrig @ 53:27 mins.

https://youtu.be/Z64Y-pjZw2E?feature=shared&t=3207
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    That article says AFD is arguably the greatest rick album of all time but it arguably isn't.

Led Zep's fourth album is.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    tony99 said:
    That article says AFD is arguably the greatest rick album of all time but it arguably isn't.

Surely the greatest rick album was that one with Never Gonna Give You Up on it
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    The official Gibson video has it captioned "Derek" ?

All this fuss about the guitar, it's become a bad obsession.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    randella said:
    tony99 said:

Surely the greatest rick album was that one with Never Gonna Give You Up on it
    I really need to start poof reading my posts
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter