Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fender Bassman - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fender Bassman

What's Hot
Bit of a stupid question but if you're a guitarist and a bassist, you could technically just use this amp for both instruments couldn't you? I dabble on the bass sometimes but don't want to have to own a separate bass amp. Would rather invest in one that can handle born instruments. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    @ICBM is the man for this!

For dabbling at lower volumes, lots of guitar amps would do a job - I never really found one that did both adequetely but I never tried a Bassman. I'd think a bass or gutar amp would benefit from a (possibly digital) preamp for the other thing. Nothing fancy, but it would make a big difference imo.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes - but there are two main types of Bassman... the 4x10" tweed combo version is outstanding for guitar and usable for bass, but won't give anything like modern bass tone or volume. The blackface/silverface head version is good for bass and guitar, but neither quite loud enough for modern clean bass, and probably too loud for guitar unless you're using it as a clean platform for pedals or a modeller.

It's probably worth mentioning that you can safely play bass through any guitar amp at low volume, and even at higher volume if the speaker(s) are adequate - the risk is to them, not the amp. There are many amps which will handle both perfectly well - four-input Marshalls and Laneys, old-style Oranges and Hiwatts, the list is probably longer than you would expect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    You can play guitar through any bass amp.

And you can play bass through any guitar amp, but you might find the bass is lacking in low end as most good guitars trim low bass signal. My brother has been playing bass through a tweed deluxe with a G12H speaker for a good number of years now, maybe not the sound for everyone but he likes it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I put a celestion bn1200s neo speaker info an old Peavey bandit for a while. Sounded great for both bass and guitar.

This was a speaker quilter were/are (?) Using for their guitar amps, but is a bass speaker 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    thomasw88 said:
    I put a celestion bn1200s neo speaker info an old Peavey bandit for a while. Sounded great for both bass and guitar.

This was a speaker quilter were/are (?) Using for their guitar amps, but is a bass speaker 
    The Electrovoice EVM-12L - considered by many people the ultimate guitar speaker - was designed as a PA bass driver originally.

You can put any amp up to about 150W through one for guitar or bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson