Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Too much choice . . . - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Too much choice . . .

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I've run out of weird, glitchy and modulation pedals and sold off one of my unused amps, so my thoughts have turned to drive pedals.

The trouble is there are too many to choose from, and even the cheap ones seem to be pretty good.

I could probably be perfectly satisfied with what I'm using at the moment (Tonelab ST) but I have spare funds and very little else to spend it on, so thus is a problem created.

Top three at the moment are:

Automatone (too expensive)
CB Brothers (possibly not what I'm after - if I even know what I'm after)
Kernom Ridge (cheapest but same as above)

see also Tumnus Deluxe, Poly Flat V etc. etc.
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Paul,

I think the 3 that you list are all very good options.

The CB Brothers is very good I think, but the Kernon Ridge is excellent. Im really pleased with mine, although I tend to be more low gain/break up.

If you use midi, the Kernon excels. If not, there are only 2 presets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    I think we follow a similar path. I just bought a Broadcast if that's any help.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • To quote @DesVegas in another thread.

"The answer is, as always, a Rat"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    edited September 2023
    @AntonHunter You're goddamn right
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Is it Sporky who always recommends a Metal Zone and a Miku?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sassafras said:
    Is it Sporky who always recommends a Metal Zone and a Miku?
    That does sound like me. I think Paul already has 14% of the world's Mikus. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Brothers is great. Wish I still had one. Not sure they’re quite worth the money people ask for them now, but I did love mine. 
  • I’m tempted by the Fredric Effects Accomplished Badger and JSA Effects Porta IV at the moment. Andertons did have a good deal on the Flat IV 
  • My favourite drive sound remains the Bigfoot Engineering Thunderpup hitting a good preamp (the Cali 76 worked wonderfully). Always interested to hear what their Eq pedal with drive sounds like 
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    I find the kernom ridge underwhelming. 

I have the automatone, but poly flat v is most interesting/inspiring (for me). 

• I would second a Rat, but I'd also suggest an Old Blood Noise Fault V2, the EQ sliders allow you to get pretty odd with it.
  • If you don’t have to have midi, buy a Zvex Box Of Rock and be happy hereafter. What a glorious pedal it is. 
  • If you're open to the idea of more than one pedal, the pairing of Thorpy's Peacekeeper and Warthog covers everything from transparent low gain through medium and high gain, distortion and practically into the realm of fuzz. Wonderfully touch sensitive, very tweakable, built like tanks and they stack brilliantly. Such a great combination. I've tried a lot of drive pedals - and I probably will continue to do so if I'm honest - but these two pedals are exceptional and have never left my board. If I could only have two drive pedals it would be these two without a doubt.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    edited September 2023

Having spent an hour or so yesterday evening looking at videos of Yamaha keyboards *sigh* I have bought something.

I'll update when it arrives on Monday.

Edit: It is a pedal, not a keyboard, just to be clear.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you're open to the idea of more than one pedal, the pairing of Thorpy's Peacekeeper and Warthog covers everything from transparent low gain through medium and high gain, distortion and practically into the realm of fuzz. Wonderfully touch sensitive, very tweakable, built like tanks and they stack brilliantly. Such a great combination. I've tried a lot of drive pedals - and I probably will continue to do so if I'm honest - but these two pedals are exceptional and have never left my board. If I could only have two drive pedals it would be these two without a doubt.

Agree with all of this. There is no end to the sounds available with that combination. 
  • Get one of the Source Audio drives - doesn't really matter which as all the drive models in the app work on all of them, even the bass ones.

Then you'll have all of them.

I can let you borrow my Aftershock if you want to play with it?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    What do you want to use it for?  

Aside from the obvious TS, Klon, BB options, and the obvious "everyone needs a Rat" notwithstanding, my perennial recommends are:
    • Origin Revival Drive - any version but the Compact is a fine thing and not a compromise imo
    • DOD Looking Glass; just a nice OD that's a little different to your standard ODs that everyone else has
    • Benson Preamp - fabulous "add grit and make better" box
    • Kingsley Page - genuinely the best low-ish gain OD I've used. I never want to turn it off
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Paul_C said:

Having spent an hour or so yesterday evening looking at videos of Yamaha keyboards *sigh* I have bought something.

Is it a sustain pedal for a keyboard?
    edited September 2023
    Sassafras said:
    Paul_C said:

Is it a sustain pedal for a keyboard?

No

It has been mentioned in the thread, so someone might approve.

I've also got a JAM Delay Llama Supreme coming next week too.

Get one of the Source Audio drives - doesn't really matter which as all the drive models in the app work on all of them, even the bass ones.

Then you'll have all of them.

I can let you borrow my Aftershock if you want to play with it?

That's very kind of you - I'll see how the new toy goes and let you know :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    OP, what is the guitar, amp and musical idiom(s)?
    Greatape said:

Mostly Telecasters, Katana/AC15, no particular thing in mind just general noodling, low gain more than high.

A new pedal is arriving on Monday but having said that, based on past history there's every chance I'll buy more stuff in the future.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Paul_C said:
    Greatape said:

Mostly Telecasters, Katana/AC15, no particular thing in mind just general noodling, low gain more than high.

A new pedal is arriving on Monday but having said that, based on past history there's every chance I'll buy more stuff in the future.

Hmmm....Timmy, Lightspeed, Hot Cake, Gain Changer, etc. Or RAT  :3 Be interested to see what you chose....
  • I’ve never tried a light speed, but heard one in a vid the other day and thought it sounded incredible. 

New toy arrived :)

No time to properly try it yet, but what I've heard I liked.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very nice! And actually after hearing Jesse from Believable Audio/29 Pedals decry EQ in favour of filters (though I'm not sure what the difference is) would love to compare how it shapes the tone vs a standard drive EQ control

Yes, I'm looking forward to mucking about with it at some point, once I've stopped just playing with patch 1.1 on (the schottky diode).

The Delay Llama Supreme was another recent buy and the Gravitas a birthday present from a dear friend.

Where did you get the delay llama from?

blobb said:
    Where did you get the delay llama from?

Reverb - someone here is selling a DL Extreme and out of curiosity I went on Reverb to see what the going rate was for one and found the Supreme :)
    There's one on there from Germany at the moment  but all the tax stuff puts me off. Thanks Brexit.