Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). eBay phishing attempt - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

eBay phishing attempt

What's Hot
Just wanted to share a recent email I received. 

‘You’ve received an offer for X item’

body of the email properly formatted, at first glance indistinguishable from the real thing, photo of item, username, message was sent to my eBay email address. 

It originated from a non eBay address and was flagged by Google’s spam filters. There’s no pending offer in my eBay app. 

Clicking link (in a secondary remote browser) loads up a bogus eBay login page. 

I’ve never seen one of these before, but it was very convincing, especially if I pick up the email whilst distracted. 

Anyone else seen one of these before?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    If it's for an item that you currently have listed, then that's pretty scary. It means that the scammer has a database that links your ebay username to that email address.

Wonder how they harvested that?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtop said:
    If it's for an item that you currently have listed, then that's pretty scary. It means that the scammer has a database that links your ebay username to that email address.

Artificial intelligence
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    Every new technology seems to largely be used to make criminal activities easier
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    Adey said:
    Every new technology seems to largely be used to make criminal activities easier
    Well why wouldn't they? It's not as if they have finely tuned moral compasses or anything?
  • goldtop said:

Yep, recently listed and current item, all details match up
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    Adey said:
    Well why wouldn't they? It's not as if they have finely tuned moral compasses or anything?
    Absolutely. Just a sad endictment of the best things about the human race.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Seriously, I think a lot of the best things about the human race still regularly surface here.  Stop laughing at the back!! 
    There'll always be a 
    small percentage of dodgy chaps, but overall this is a pretty bloody decent place to hang out, populated by generous good people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've had exactly the same today on an item I'm currently selling, would also love to know where they linked my email to my eBay account. 

That's the best scam I've seen, the email looks totally convincing till you check who it's from. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    It's getting so convincing now, we had a big push on phishing at work and they wanted everyone to attend some mandatory training. I didn't go, got into trouble for not attending and received constant emails telling me I had to go to another sessions. So I reported it via the 'phishing alert' system and they stopped sending them to me.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  I had the same some weeks ago. Very convincing type set/font photo etc.
       Mine was "You have received an offer".
     I had no items with "Best Offer" option so thought it was relating to an offer via messages.
       As a rule I only check these messages in my Ebay. But got caught out this time.
     Fortunately I never click on links from Ebay or PayPal  emails.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Boromedic said:
    I've had exactly the same today on an item I'm currently selling, would also love to know where they linked my email to my eBay account. 

That's the best scam I've seen, the email looks totally convincing till you check who it's from. 
    So they have a database of usernames and email addresses, and the realistic phishing page is to harvest passwords to complete the set!

Cripes.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    If you work a desk job in an office, training courses to identify phishing and email scams is mandatory. Unfortunately most people don't work in an office. 
  • I had one of those years ago. On an expensive item of course.