Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). If you won this prize, who would you choose? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

If you won this prize, who would you choose?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
The prize is 20 albums that a specific guitarist plays on, so solo stuff, their band(s) or maybe guest albums. You don't need to list the albums but which guitarist would you go for? Basically someone you are interested in but don't have much music of.

For me it would be Allan Holdsworth. I have a few of his albums, and a few others that he plays on. I'm into fusion generally and his style is so fascinating and unique. I'd have a lot more but albums are so darned expensive!

Who would you go for?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    If we're talking about Buckethead, 20 albums is just a drop in the ocean. I once worked out that he releases an album every 3 days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Brent Mason
    But I do love that country sound y'hear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Neil Young; as he’s not on Spotify and I no longer have any cd’s of his, I don’t listen to him as much as I used to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Chet Atkins.
  • 20?
    I tend to like bands and then the guitarist within, so they often don't release much more than the band does. Pearl Jam being my main band, both guitarists probably play on ~10 albums outside of PJ but then I've got all the PJ stuff already.

Session guitarists or the virtuoso type who does sessions for huge artists is probably what you're after, right? I don't know many. Maybe I'm missing something.

Does Steve Vai count? I've never really listened to his stuff, so should give it a go. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Probably John McLaughlin or Al Di Meola I reckon.

I know very little about either and I would either find their work enjoyable or educational, probably both.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• I don't think there are any artists I'm interested in that have anywhere near that many records and that I don't already own the majority of their output. 

If someone wants to give me all of U2 or the Beatles on vinyl that'd be great because I don't already them all, I guess? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited September 2023
    I cannot think of any guitarist, I was gonna cheat and say Mark Lanegan but nearly all his credits are vocal and let's face it that's what I loved him for

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Earl Chinna Smith. 

If I can't have a session player then I have gaps in my Jim Campilongo recordings, particularly the early stuff and his guest work with other artists. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    No guitarist is worth that much commitment!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Joe Pass. 
  • The 20 albums figure makes this a bit of a weird question because it excludes most guitarists who were part of a particular band. You have to choose from in-demand session players or people whose careers lasted decades.

So if I could cherry pick from stuff that say, Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton or Tim Pierce had played on I reckon I could find twenty albums I'd be happy to own. Let's go Tim Pierce.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Ritchie Blackmoore,
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Martin Barre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Maybe a Session musician? Tim Pierce or Nile Rodgers could be interesting and plenty of music to choose from over a long career.

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    In a Spotify world, I presume "own" means "own the rights to", so Taylor Swift. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    In a Spotify world, I presume "own" means "own the rights to", so Taylor Swift. 
    I'll take Bruce Springsteen then.

My real answer is Steve Cropper. All those amazing Motown sessions. There's a lot more than 20 albums worth there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2093
    Johnny Marr
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    John Williams
  • Somebody like Larry Carlton.  I've probably already got a lot of the stuff he's most famous for (Steely Dan, solo Fagen, his stuff with Robben Ford).  But there's a broad range of stuff from Joni to Bobby Bland to Massive Attack to Michael Jackson to Glenn Campbell to Joan Baez and all points in betweeen.  I'm sure I could get 20 albums worth of unfamiliar stuff I'd be at least curious about,
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Somebody like Larry Carlton.  I've probably already got a lot of the stuff he's most famous for (Steely Dan, solo Fagen, his stuff with Robben Ford).  But there's a broad range of stuff from Joni to Bobby Bland to Massive Attack to Michael Jackson to Glenn Campbell to Joan Baez and all points in betweeen.  I'm sure I could get 20 albums worth of unfamiliar stuff I'd be at least curious about,
    The big session guys would definitely be the best bet for variety. Steve Cropper, Carlton, Bob Kulick, Steve Lukather, Brent Mason etc etc.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    Cropper. You could add on the albms he's pruouced too,

Also Joe Messina, Nile Rodgers, Taj Mahal, Ry Cooder, David Torn, Ronson, Big Jim Sullivan, Paul Simon, Dave Murray, Toni Iommi, Jerry Cantrell, Marty Friedman, Jack White why not?

Dave Lombardo, Leyland Sklar, Allen Toussaint if we're including other instrumentalists.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited September 2023
    Jeff Kollman, hands down. 

Edit: and how could I forget Alain Johannes. He’s a close second.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • It'd be a toss-up between Nels Cline and Bill Frisell. I think Nels would edge it as it would mean I get Wilco too. I probably do own 20 albums with him on actually.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2023
    Having just read his book and been unaware of the sheer number of great records he’s played on - even though I knew he was a hugely successful and prolific session player, I still vastly underestimated it… 20 albums wouldn’t even come close to covering it all.

Steve Lukather

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dave Murray, but not because of his playing. If the choice would depend on the guitarist's playing, it would be Malmsteen.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Nile Rodgers
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Pat Metheny or Steve Howe - Their albums are short and expensive.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    Elvis Costello.

Most of his work predates my entrance into pop culture.  But I really like his work.  And I don’t want to listen to a session guy or virtuoso just to learn (or just to drop names).  It’s just music that I dig.

I’m disregarding the “20 albums” stipulation.  Just “the catalogue” suffices.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Richie Kotzen. I've got some of his albums but he's quite prolific and eclectic, so it would be good to hear his other stuff.