Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Helix Floor LED issue: PCB repair people - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Helix Floor LED issue: PCB repair people

What's Hot
mikeneticmikenetic Frets: 65
edited September 2023 in FX
Hi all

Bit of a cross-post from digital modelling - I have a Helix Floor with some faulty foot switch LEDs. Pretty sure the LEDs themselves are OK, but the solder joint to the board has failed in places. Light pressure when in test mode changes the LED responses, indicating a partial/broken connection.

As I'm out of warranty the only 'official' option is to replace the entire sub-board, but that seems excessively costly when I think this could be repaired by someone with the right kit.

It's a surface mount setup, so beyond my modest repair skills. Does anyone know of somebody who can do reflow solder-type repairs? I can source new LEDs, I have the correct part number. .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• For future reference in case anyone else has this problem with their Helix Floor. I found a local game console/PC/phone repair place with a microsoldering/reflow station and they replaced the LEDs for me. The parts cost a tenner and the repair was £30. Basically, if they can replace the charge sockets on mobile or reball a console CPU, chances are they could fix this too.

By comparison Line 6's official UK repair partner stated "we haven't had much luck repairing them" and wanted £300 for the footswitch board part. Glad I spent a bit of time looking online, as it's saved me a lot of cash,
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter