Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). "Loud enough" bass amp question (no drummer involved, just some electronic backing tracks) - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

"Loud enough" bass amp question (no drummer involved, just some electronic backing tracks)

What's Hot
Hi all. I am looking to get a basic cheap bass amp for rehearsals. 2 guitars, which can get loud. Nearly all synth backing tracks with electro drums coming out through a PA system.
I'm using a Marshall Valvestate 8080 and barely have it turned up to 3 or 4.
What say ye for solid state bass amp wattage that would have some good headroom. I was thinking that 60w might not be enough, somewhere around 100w ? I'd be using a fuzz with the bass at times.
I have seen some good used generic amps. e.g. Roland Cube Bass 100w, Peavey Basic 75w and 80w and a 100w Carvin.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    100W should be enough *with a good speaker* - the problem with a lot of lower-powered bass amps is that they skimp on the speaker to keep the cost down, which not only makes the amp sound weedier than it actually is, it may well not like you putting a fuzz through it. 150W gets you into more of a 'professional' category. (Perhaps surprisingly, given the small power difference.)

Something like an old Trace Elliot GP7 150W 1x15" - which do have good speakers, as well as being a very old-school and punchy 150W - or a Peavey TNT130 would definitely be enough, and they're not expensive to buy now, because they're remarkably heavy for such 'low powered' amps. Although they will comfortably blow away a modern Class D 300W amp...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2023
    Marshall DBS is another candidate. The 200w RMS versions are plenty loud. As @ICBM says, these old SS amps are cheap because they weigh so much.

I used to own a 7400/7210/7115 rig. I also owned an estate car to transport it.

Separates are kinder on the back than combos. OTOH, that makes the lumpen 72115 and 72410 models the best bargains of all. Either fit heavy duty removable casters or work out with weights.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I guess you are looking secondhand? 
    Bass cube would be good cheap option that’s fairly bomb proof.
    If size isn’t a problem some big heavy thing like the trace you’ve been recommended above isn’t a bad shout
  • Secondhand if possible yeah. I saw a Carvin Power Bass 100 which has a 10” speaker. Small speaker I would have thought ?
  • Research the cabinet materials. Marshall DBS, for example, used marine birch ply. Marshall BassState used particle board. Guess which one rattles and farts when driven hard?
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Secondhand if possible yeah. I saw a Carvin Power Bass 100 which has a 10” speaker. Small speaker I would have thought ?
    Probably, although if it's a very modern amp it might be fine - modern speakers can have a lot greater cone excursion than older designs so you don't need such large ones to get the same 'swept volume', which will translate into acoustic volume.

Research the cabinet materials. Marshall DBS, for example, used marine birch ply. Marshall BassState used particle board. Guess which one rattles and farts when driven hard?
    I would say it's more to do with cabinet design and quality than the material - particle-board can be very solid and good-sounding, as can MDF - although they tend to have to be thick for that, so the cab ends up very heavy. The BassState cabs are fairly thin and unbraced. Unlike guitar cabs where you generally *want* the cab to resonate because it sounds better, with bass you usually don't, or not as much.

Trace Elliot in particular seemed to be on a mission to use up a global surplus of MDF with some of their designs, especially the BLX combos which are astoundingly heavy for such small boxes due to the large amount of internal baffling, but they do project the sound out in a remarkable way too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I would stay away from a big old Trace Elliot combo. Probably loud enough for my needs, but my back, my back! The Roland Cube 100w one might be good for the time being, where all I need is "volume". I could add a preamp / pedal if needed.
  • Do you need an amp, or could you happily go direct? 

I'm super-happy with my Origin SuperVintage and haven't even considered buying an amp
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited September 2023
    Do you need an amp, or could you happily go direct? 

I'm super-happy with my Origin SuperVintage and haven't even considered buying an amp
    There's enough things going direct as it is, lots of keyboards, the laptop etc, I'd rather keep it separate just to not muddle things up. But maybe an amp in a pedal type thing could go into another speaker or monitor which would act as the amp?

Would the e.g. Palmer Bass Pocket Amp and a speaker work? (Might be handy option)
  • Do you have a budget? That would make recommendations a lot easier.
  • Basic. Around 200 quid max 
  • It is not mine but how about the Peavey TNT 150 1x15 Bass Combo £150 for sale?
  • I also spied an Ampeg BA15 for sale within budget and a Roland Bass Cube.
  • Whistler said:
    It is not mine but how about the Peavey TNT 150 1x15 Bass Combo £150 for sale?
    That Peavey would be good but it’s a long way to collect from Granada to Bolton !
  • .... a good road trip, though.  Take a guitar and don't be in a hurry :- )
  • Plumped for a used Ashdown five fifteen, it will do the job for practice etc