Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). long shaft 3 position rotary switch...? where to find one? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

long shaft 3 position rotary switch...? where to find one?

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
edited September 2023 in Making & Modding
I want to have a rotary switch on my new build. It's a two pickup, two knobs set up. But rather than a toggle switch I would like to add a rotary switch to do the usual neck on / both on / bridge on -  but I want to go through the body rather than a scratch plate so need a longer shaft (oh-er-missus)... dose such a thing exist? I've drawn a bit of a blank.

Cheers

Mark

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Jonathangus cheers for that but the threaded part isn't long enough to go through the body - i don't think.

@Roland I shall have a browse... cheers!
  • Ah, yes - I see what you mean.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Don't PRS sometimes use rotary switches on their carved top guitars?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Don't PRS sometimes use rotary switches on their carved top guitars?
    Yes - but the top is cut very thin around the switch and pot holes. My guess is that's why PRS started doing the 'semi-recessed' knobs in the first place, to allow the switch to fit.

Personally, I would not use a rotary switch unless you want pickup combinations that are difficult or impossible to achieve with a toggle - they're a faff to use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • @Sporky thanks, but the threaded part is too shallow for my needs.

@ICBM I don't want to do anything complex, it was more just a visual thing. I was trying to work out if I could do it with two push/pulls - but I need to do some googling as my brain isn't wired that way to work it out... pun intended!
    markblack said:

@ICBM I don't want to do anything complex, it was more just a visual thing. I was trying to work out if I could do it with two push/pulls - but I need to do some googling as my brain isn't wired that way to work it out... pun intended!
    Yes, you can - at the simplest, one on/off per pickup, which gives either pickup alone or both pickups in parallel. This has the advantage of being simple to wire up, but the disadvantage of having a 'both off' sound. If you want to make it (quite a lot) more complex to wire up, you can have it with either both pickups on but out of phase, or both pickups on in series, instead of the 'both off' setting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• @ICBM sorry, more questions - hope that's OK.

do you mean like this for the simple set up?

markblack said:

do you mean like this for the simple set up?
    Yes.

Although the way they're drawn in the diagram indicates the opposite operation - they're shown with up being on. I agree that down for on is preferable, even if slightly less logical, since it avoids the possibility of accidentally knocking both pickups off. To achieve that, simply move the green pickup wires to the green links on the switches. (You don't actually need to link the unused terminals on the switches.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @ICBM as always... yet again... many thanks!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    I did a similar thing with this joker
    I wanted it to be as uncluttered as possible, so the single volume is a pull pot which selects either neck or bridge, works for me and I am not bothered about having the two on together

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    markblack said:
    @Sporky thanks, but the threaded part is too shallow for my needs.
    Doh! Sorry. I got stuck on the long shaft bit, and didn't think about the collar.

I'll see if I can remember/work out what I did with my NSG - that had a six-way rotary for pickup selection. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    I’ve been looking at rotary switches and trying to work out how to do this with P90s but I really am hopeless at wiring. 

I’d be curious to see how you manage to get it to work.