Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). simple lacquer finish - should I use nitro ? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

simple lacquer finish - should I use nitro ?

I'm working on a new build, it's an alder body that I would like to finish in a simple lacquer finish.

I had a can of Northwest Guitar amber tinted lacquer to hand and I did a little test and I like the look of it.

My questions are:

I'm a bit intimated by nitro, the long curing times etc. Do you have to wait a long time for it to cure?

I would like to try and lacquer checking, relicing, how many coats of nitro would you have to use to try this?

Is there something simpler / better to use?

project WIP:

test scrap:

Cheers

Mark

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    If your doing a couple of thin coats then you can do it as a quick finish.  It will continue to sink in and wear, but I think you will be okay with that for a simple worn finish 

If you want proper checking it's better to follow the steps of sealer, colour, clear.... and a good cure time for it to harden before you try to force temperature checking.  How long depends on how thick you lay it on.

It's very nuanced after that.    A thick clear coat will check differently to a thin one, but will also be affected by the layers and wood below and how you chose to make it happen

You can get good results simply and with a little luck, but it takes a while to be able to get a controllable "randomness" that consistently looks good.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @WezV thanks for that I'll give it a go!