Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gig monitor for keyboard - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gig monitor for keyboard

Been using  a Yamaha  DXR10  and don't really like it with a keyboard. Sounds harsh.

Anything worth looking at?  Keyboard amp or PA speaker?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I've used the older original qsc k10 for quite a few years, and always liked how it sounds - pianos sound good which seems to be the main challenge often
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Your never going to get a fantastic monitored sound live really.   I use in ears mostly - which is as good as the ear buds - but I have a full band mix that I control so Im still "in the moment" as it were.

Failing that I use a Yamaha DSR12.   You need a 12 for the low end of keys - far too many sounds need them, and you need decent power for that low end as well.  The DXR are a level below the DSR (they have since been replaced by the DZR).  Its still not great - I much prefer the in ears as far as sound quality goes - but its useable.

Anything with onboard DSP EQ is useful of course - the QSC K12 Mk 2 do I THINK (you'd have to check) .  the Yam DZRs certainly do.  
  • Cheers for that.  

I'll look to sell the Yam I think.    

Keyboard amps not worth looking at?  something like Behringer K900FX for example?  This is just for stage monitoring so not needing something that will go out front.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    General opinion sometimes seems to be that keyboard amps might sound ok for synth / organ, but less good for piano tones - so might depend on what you need. I find the smallish powered speakers quite handy for portability and angle it like a monitor. Would often have main PA monitor too to hear the rest of the band - like using my qsc a bit more like backline.
  • thomasw88 said:
    Cheers for that.  

I'll look to sell the Yam I think.    

Keyboard amps not worth looking at?  something like Behringer K900FX for example?  This is just for stage monitoring so not needing something that will go out front.
    not really in this day and age.  There not Full range - often hyped in one area.  there generally heavy too.   a Powered Pa top is generally the best option for speaker type monitoring.   They had their use before powered PA cabs became decent and cheap(ish).