Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Max Ostro - new young talent - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Max Ostro - new young talent

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
Have we covered Max Ostro yet? This kid is incredible! Give this a watch and if you're thinking it's 'just acoustic' then stick with it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    He's been around a few years now. Absolutely terrifying 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    We had a looong thread about him a year or so ago. An incredible player for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStu said:
    Have we covered Max Ostro yet? This kid is incredible! Give this a watch and if you're thinking it's 'just acoustic' then stick with it.

We have discussed him on here, yes he’s bloody ace 
  • He's part of the reason I sought out an Ice Blue Ibanez AZ2402 Prestige after @Vibetronic recommended the AZ's to me. Then I ended up getting the matching AZ2204 as well.

Mine don't work as well as his though :)

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He's part of the reason I sought out an Ice Blue Ibanez AZ2402 Prestige after @Vibetronic recommended the AZ's to me. Then I ended up getting the matching AZ2204 as well.

Mine don't work as well as his though :)
    Was no reason to throw it on the floor though!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2023

Mine don't work as well as his though

Lol

Yes that was an accident

That photo is pre my relic job on my AZ2204. It has since slipped out of my gig bag and landed on concrete.

It's not a competition.

Mine don't work as well as his though

Lol

Yes that was an accident

That photo is pre my relic job on my AZ2204. It has since slipped out of my gig bag and landed on concrete.

Just be thankful you're not a Gibson player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    He's got even more hair now.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:

On his head maybe...  B)
    He's immensely talented & definitely a world class widdler.
  • Philly_Q said:

Wish I hadn't listened to that. It's so catch I'll be whistling it all day now.
    relic245 said:
    Philly_Q said:

Wish I hadn't listened to that. It's so catch I'll be whistling it all day now.
    You don't hate jazz... you fear jazz!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStu said:

Is he being forced to do it? 

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone look as disinterested in their own perfromance as that?

Great technique though, hope he does something with it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Yeah hes amazing...   This video really got me.. His technique just goes beyond most....  Makes it look effortless.

Also I saw this vid once.. I was surprised. He is Russian as far as I know but speaks with the oddest English accent I have ever heard

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited September 2023
    Not my thing but very talented.
  • Does anyone choose to listen to this music outside of just wanting to see some technical wizardy for 30 seconds? 

I find it so utterly baffling - it just feels like the soundtrack to a bad playstation game around 2002
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    AI has come a long way on the last few years.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    AI has come a long way on the last few years.
    His name is Max, but I suppose you can call him Al ... you can call him Al.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Does anyone choose to listen to this music outside of just wanting to see some technical wizardy for 30 seconds? 

I find it so utterly baffling - it just feels like the soundtrack to a bad playstation game around 2002
    No I don't particularly enjoy the widdly widdly shredding, but the video I started this with isn't as full-on as the later ones and is more melodic.
    The kid can play better than I ever will and his appearance intrigued me! Is it all a ruse?

I believe he may be the secret love grandchild of Ritchie Blackmore.  He has the same mouth expression, or lack thereof, as Blackmore often had on stage.  Personally I find his impassive demeanour slightly offputting when I watch him playing.  Some have mentioned that his playing seems to be effortless.  His demeanour is emotionless, which makes his playing seem effortless and unfortunately that aspect rubs off on me and makes the playing rather emotionless.  Even most highly accomplished classical guitar players find it impossible not to make "guitar faces".  I can't imagine how many grimaces I would be pulling if I could play with a quarter of the skill he has.  I wonder if he might be autistic.  A good friend's son is autistic and has a similarly expressionless face and body even when he is playing the most intricate and beautiful music on his classical guitar, and his manner of speech is not dissimilar to this young lad's.  He is definitely intriguing.
  • Does anyone choose to listen to this music outside of just wanting to see some technical wizardy for 30 seconds? 

For me the clips are entertaining in their own right, apart from anything else. And judging by the number of views there's clearly a demand.

Who's to say what's entertaining to different people. It's completely beyond me why people like watching some sports, but I was always a geeky nerd.

Also, his playing goes beyond simple technical wizardry. I hear a fantastic flow of ideas, great time, phrasing and expression. Something to learn from. I purchased his tuition video and pick out stuff I like, to build on and incorporate into my own playing. Well in my case, it's a geriatric version of his ideas :)

There are many many great players, but I hear something special in this guy.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I do enjoy a bit of widdle, and he has more of a feel than many 'shredders'.

For me though this music is best appreciated watching a video and seeing the playing. An album of 10 tracks in the car and I lose interest

For me the clips are entertaining in their own right, apart from anything else. And judging by the number of views there's clearly a demand.

Who's to say what's entertaining to different people. It's completely beyond me why people like watching some sports, but I was always a geeky nerd.

Also, his playing goes beyond simple technical wizardry. I hear a fantastic flow of ideas, great time, phrasing and expression. Something to learn from. I purchased his tuition video and pick out stuff I like, to build on and incorporate into my own playing. Well in my case, it's a geriatric version of his ideas :)

That's fair. I'm not knocking it per se - he's clearly put the hours in and he appears to be really excellent at what he does.  It just doesn't hold any appeal for me personally in the same way that most metal / shred / fusion / jazz doesn't either, I guess.

That's fair. I'm not knocking it per se - he's clearly put the hours in and he appears to be really excellent at what he does.  It just doesn't hold any appeal for me personally in the same way that most metal / shred / fusion / jazz doesn't either, I guess.

I guess, with all of these things, we could just say it's down to personal taste. and leave it at that. But that would be no fun, as we wouldn't be able to argue about stuff :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  

I guess, with all of these things, we could just say it's down to personal taste. and leave it at that. But that would be no fun, as we wouldn't be able to argue about stuff :)

And that's what we're all here for, right? :D 

And that's what we're all here for, right? :D 
    No it isn't
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:

I guess, with all of these things, we could just say it's down to personal taste. and leave it at that. But that would be no fun, as we wouldn't be able to argue about stuff

And that's what we're all here for, right? D 
    No it isn't
    Yes it is.  Clearly you don't have a lot of experience arguing vociferously and vehemently about trivialities.