Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NAD SV20H - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NAD SV20H

What's Hot
DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
edited September 2023 in Amps
Gumtree bargain £350.

Seller was a couple of hours drive from me, but agreed to hold on to it until I could travel down the following evening.  Had a go of it in the garage and he offered to give me some tips on setting it up and I took him up on that a learned a few things.

I have Power Brake and a Jettenuator, so will see which one works best with it.

The cab is a model 1966b, with 2 x 12s (G12T-75s) - that was another Gumtree bargain.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Wow, super cheap, great amp too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Great price for a great amp. Congrats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • £350???

Bargain of the year!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    edited September 2023
    Fella in Cumbernauld was selling two of these and two SC20Hs and some other stuff.

I just happened to search on Gumtree when the ads had only been up a hour.

Missus was bending my ear about the diesel cost, but I showed her the RRP cost.
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    Absolute bargain!  Enjoy the amp 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    Nice catch. Not sure about those settings though......

I'd be surprised if the Powerbrake didn't win that battle vs the Jettenuator hands down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Welcome to the club. I'm on my 4th (a combo version after thinking the grass might be greener elsewhere)

I ran one with a power brake for ages and it is wonderful with that amp. Only thing better I have used so far is is the toneking iron man 2 mini

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Shit the front door that’s a bargain
  • With a Marshall I’ve always found the Powerbrake the best, as long as you don’t attenuate to the extreme.
       I also recently moved on an Ultimate attenuator made in the US, and for the money it was brilliant. It was a reamper, so you could attenuate right down to bedroom level and still reproduce a great sound. Also had twin master volumes for solo boost.
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 99
    Awesome - I have exactly the same, except the 1966A. I also have the matching 1x12, but it's just not as good as the 1966
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2023
    What a bargain!

The G12T-75s aren't going to be the best for it, so you can now justify spending a bit more on some - I would recommend Greenback G12M-25s, Heritage G12H-30s, or one of each (G12M at the top).

Or possibly the Marshall Vintage/Heritage pair... which coincidentally I have and might sell...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I think this beats my DSL40c @ £200 score from earlier this year :open_mouth: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    ICBM said:
    What a bargain!

The G12T-75s aren't going to be the best for it, so you can now justify spending a bit more on some - I would recommend Greenback G12M-25s, Heritage G12H-30s, or one of each (G12M at the top).

Or possibly the Marshall Vintage/Heritage pair... which coincidentally I have and might sell...
    I have some spare speakers (which I have been collecting when they come up cheap), but not had time to try anything out yet.

Two G12M 25w 16ohm
    Two G12H 30w 8ohm
    One V-Type 70w 8ohm
    One WGS ET65 65w 8ohm
    One Harma Classic Rube 50H 50w 16ohm
    Ddigger said:

I have some spare speakers (which I have been collecting when they come up cheap), but not had time to try anything out yet.

Two G12M 25w 16ohm
    Two G12H 30w 8ohm
    One V-Type 70w 8ohm
    One WGS ET65 65w 8ohm
    One Harma Classic Rube 50H 50w 16ohm
    I would definitely try the two G12M-25s first, as that's the simplest option and quite likely the best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• I've owned an SV20H before, for a few years it was my main amp.

Experimented a lot with different speakers in my 2061cx 2x12 cab, including a pair of G12M20s (which are essentially the same as yours).

The SV20 will compress, almost to an unpleasant degree, above 6 or 7 volume. Add an overdrive pedal and it can get very squishy. I settled on the G12H30's because it flattened the mid-range, allowing for much more nuance at higher volumes. At low volumes it won't matter so much. 

The G12H30's have a bigger low end, which the amps EQ can handle well, rolling back the bass a little.

The SV20 will compress, almost to an unpleasant degree, above 6 or 7 volume. Add an overdrive pedal and it can get very squishy. I settled on the G12H30's because it flattened the mid-range, allowing for much more nuance at higher volumes. At low volumes it won't matter so much. 

The G12H30's have a bigger low end, which the amps EQ can handle well, rolling back the bass a little.
    I agree with all that - especially about it becoming badly overcompressed with pedals at high volume. I would suggest the H30s too, but for Ddigger it will mean rewiring the cab - not a huge job admittedly.