Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Speaker Cable Buffering? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Speaker Cable Buffering?

What's Hot
pt22pt22 Frets: 102
Hi folks. Not sure this is a thing, and the question may be academic but I thought I’d put it out there. 

There’s a ton of information (and debate) over different types of buffers used before an amps preamp, and even in relation to effects loops send/receive. 

What about between an amps power amp section and the speaker itself? I ask because I’m considering placing my CaptorX on my pedal board rather than sitting on top of the amp. That would mean the addition of a few meters of cabling between the power amp output and the speaker. 

I’m sure a few meters may not make a difference, but what if it was 10 meters? 20? Does this ever become a problem in the same way cable impedance can be going into an amp? 

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Your amp is already a gigantic buffer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    No. Long cable runs, the resistance will mean you lose a little power heating up the cable that might have gone to the speakers, but there's no tone change from that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    Buffers are for instrument/line level signals, not for speaker level.

You can fairly easily do the sums to work out what gauge speaker cable you need for a given power, distance, and speaker impedance. Or even more easily plug the numbers into an online calculator.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Not needed.

In your planned setup, though, just be aware that there's a much increased risk of accidentally unplugging your amp from the load. If the cable from the amp/speaker gets yanked out or forgotten when setting up.

If it's a setup at home that's unlikely to be altered by you or mischievous kids, then you'll be fine.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Cables NEVER have an "impedance" at audio frequencies unless you are trying to send signals to the next town!

All cables have a "characteristic impedance" at RF and video/digital frequencies. TV aerial cable is 75 Ohms as is S/PDIF (but nobody cares!) CAT X network cable is 110R but most peeps just say 100 Ohms. Most other RF cable, remember 'CB'? is 50 Ohms.

But below 20kHz and for even very long audio cables this does not matter a jot*.

*There is cable CAPACITANCE which can be important but not for speakers.

Dave.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    ecc83 said:

*There is cable CAPACITANCE which can be important but not for speakers.

:# thanks. This certainly is evidence of my depth of knowledge on the subject. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    goldtop said:
    Not needed.

In your planned setup, though, just be aware that there's a much increased risk of accidentally unplugging your amp from the load. If the cable from the amp/speaker gets yanked out or forgotten when setting up.

If it's a setup at home that's unlikely to be altered by you or mischievous kids, then you'll be fine.
    Thanks for this, and yes I was aware. I do think I'll be ok as the amp actually has a built in load, but I'm not sure if that load is bypassed if the amp end of the speaker cable is plugged in even if it's not terminated at the other end. If not, then your warning stands and I'll have to keep the kiddos away from the board. 
    ecc83 said:
    Cables NEVER have an "impedance" at audio frequencies unless you are trying to send signals to the next town!

I will clarify - I meant (notional) speaker impedance.
    Sporky said:
    ecc83 said:

I was referring to the OP's mention of "speaker cable impedance" But yes, speaker impedance has a profound effect on an amplifier's sound, at least with valve OP stages because they have a high source impedance.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2023
    For any normal cable length made from decent 6A-rated mains cable (0.75 sq.mm) or 'proper' speaker cable of a similar size, the cable resistance can be safely ignored. Standard copper cable of this size has a resistance of 23 ohms per kilometer for each conductor, so double that for a speaker cable as both halves are in series - ie a 100m cable has a resistance of about 4.6 ohms, and a 10m cable less than half an ohm.

So if you're driving a 4-ohm cab, you would notice a difference at 100m - only half the power would be getting to the cab, and also the amp would be producing less power as it would be seeing an effective 8-9 ohm load. At 50m you might still be able to tell, but at anything much less than that, not likely.

Most 'proper' speaker cable is significantly larger than 0.75 sq.mm too, so the equivalent lengths would become even longer. If the cab impedance is 8 or 16 ohms it would also make proportionately less difference.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/copper-aluminum-conductor-resistance-d_1877.html

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ecc83 said:
    Sporky said:
    ecc83 said:

I was referring to the OP's mention of "speaker cable impedance" 

Ah! Sorry.

I do a fair few gauge calculations, but when I'm running kilowatts tens of metres. Which is rather different. 
    Yes chaps and when we needed to run multiple speakers over 100s of mtrs we moved to 100V line working* and about 5A cable but that is not the primary reason for the technique.

*70V in the states for some reason I have never fathomed!

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    ecc83 said:

*70V in the states for some reason I have never fathomed!
    Regulations I think. North Americans are scared of proper mains voltage too :).

(Despite the fact that their 117/120V will electrocute you just as easily if you make a decent connection to it, and at least in the past their attitude to earthing made it *more* likely, not less.)

Marshall had to sell their 1970s amps for the Canadian market with the 16-ohm output taps disabled because on the 100W models the output voltage exceeded the regulations.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

As a gross oversimplification, in America they believe that 70.7v can't kill you.