Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Midi cables - are they created equal? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Midi cables - are they created equal?

I need to link 2 synths together via midi but I know zilch about midi.
Do cables vary much?
Which brands won't give me any problems?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    MIDI is fairly slow and fairly robust, so unless you're doing silly distances the cables are much of a muchness.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Thanks.
    No long distances. No more than a metre.
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 135
    there are different pinouts depending on what you are connecting, type A and type B. I think Boss is different to both
    Jono111 said:
    there are different pinouts depending on what you are connecting, type A and type B. I think Boss is different to both
    Interesting. I'll have to check.
    Jono111 said:
    Isn't that only for MIDI on TRS?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Sporky said:
    Jono111 said:
    Isn't that only for MIDI on TRS?
    yeah. 
    5pin to 5 pin will be the same both ends. 

A & B refer to where the signal pins are on TRS

I've just been offered 5 cables from another forumite.
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    I bought some inexpensive midi cables in the last couple of years for live use with a guitar. They failed (no comms transmitting) and so purchased some more expensive Roland midi cables. One of these failed too!
    edited September 2023
    DIN plugs are pretty crap.

Not as crap as SCART, or VISCA, or EDAC, but pretty crap. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Signal-wise, the cable is either MIDI or it isn't and MIDI should work over pretty mundane cables.
    You've then got the question of ruggedness - how much general use, misuse, being trodden on, bent, coiled, and so-on they can take; that's where more heavy-duty ones can be a better buy.
    A spindly cheapo one may not be particularly up to going on tour, so it is probably worth spending a bit more.
    There's also the fact that the 5-pin DIN plug is not a particularly robust unit - Preh make probably the best ones, but I've never seen them on a MIDI cable.
    Me, I'd buy the ones which look like they have a bit of substance to them, but would also carry some spares.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    edited September 2023
    I rely on them live for both rich list and gallops and have to run a midi cable across the stage so I didn’t cheap out on that one. Metal ended ones for live use, but for home use midi is pretty much midi. Hosa do them for buttons and they’re perfectly fine. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 874
    Not all MIDI cables have all pins connected. Check what your equipment requires.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........