Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WTB - Marshall 1987x reissue head - Amps £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WTB - Marshall 1987x reissue head

What's Hot
Looking to see if anyone has a 1987x reissue head in good nick that they would part with. I've seen a few come through on Reverb, but they are priced quite a bit higher than prior ones traded in this parish, so I'm hoping someone here with an overflowing collection wants to share the love with a Marshall initiate. (Would be my first Marshall amp :)

(Note: I could *perhaps* be convinced to look at an SV20 on the smaller format side, but I think the particular cut of the 1987x is what I'm after. But open minded as I really have limited experience in this space.) Cheers all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Any 1987x heads out there?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have you checked GAK? Had one there last time I was there. 
  • I have checked them yeah, love GAK... But all they have are new heads for £1,449. (I'm after something used and not marked up close to new prices.) Thx
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1219
    Sure you know what you're doing, but...87x amps are super loud and they don't do even remotely quiet...try one out before you commit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @steven70 - and it's a fair point to make given I said I was a newbie to Marshalls. I have played a few and do know the ferocity involved. For context, I play my Shiva through a Fryette PS-2A and would surely play the 87x the same way. Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HydraHydra Frets: 16
    PMT have one of their used pages. They often haggle on the phone. 
  • GAK are normally pretty good over the phone.
    If they can do a deal they will.
    Also worth asking if they have a Exdem model they can do something on.?
  • Weird. I saw these available around £1k new not too long ago. Same with the Jubilee heads. Prices must’ve gone up I guess. 
  • Thanks for the tips - I do know the stockists, have bought from literally all of them... (GAK, PMT, etc) just looking to buy within TFB community if possible. Hence the WTB.  ;)

(Incidentally, didn't know PMT to ever haggle. Doubt they'd haggle down to the prior prices from here but good to know).

So, anyone actually got one? Or do they make everyone who has got it forever happy?  B)
  • Bump to see if anyone has got a Marshall 50W monster they could part with ... happy Saturday, all
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    50w Marshall for sale. Not a 1987x though. Just a lowly 2204. 
  • Thanks Dave. I definitely want an 87x - but one day maybe a not-so-lowly 2204!
  • £950, which is at least in the right ball park, been there 2 months so they might be open to a drop in price:

Best of luck with your hunt, great Marshall to start with, you know you'll need a JMP and a JCM 800 too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for that, I had been tracking that one, too. You're right its posted price is entering the ball park, these reissues were going for no more than £700-800 a few yrs ago, says searches. (And it isn't like they are vintage gear that should go up in value...)

You're probably right about JMPs and JCMs. I'm worried I will like this 87x head a lot once I acquire it, and it may lead to other Marshall GAS (or 'MAS' I suppose). I've got fender sounds very much covered.  :o
  • Anyone looking to trade or sell a 1987x reissue? Thought I would make one last shout into oblivion before assessing my reverb and eBay options.  :)