Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Case for acoustic baritone? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Case for acoustic baritone?

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 4394
I have a new acoustic baritone jumbo on order and nearing completion. It's big - 740mm scale length (29 inches) and 450mm across the lower bout (17.75 inches). Now we are looking for a case to fit it.

Hiscox don't make one big enough (their biggest jumbo case tops out at 17 inches) and after hunting around I can't find anything.

So I wondered what about an acoustic bass case? They seem to be available. Any favourite brands and models? (Obviously I'll have to check that the dimensions are suitable.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 84
    edited September 2023
    I had exactly the same problem when I bought an acoustic bass a few years ago. The only case I could find that would fit the bass was a Rocktile that I bought through Amazon market place. Currently unavailable through Amazon but I remember it coming from Germany. This seems to be the same product:
    https://www.kirstein.de/en/Cases-for-Bass/Rocktile-Bass-Case-Jumbo-Acoustic-Bass-Style.html
    I'm very happy with the case although it is mainly to keep the bass safe at home when it isn't being played. I spent a long time looking for a case and a lot of ones that appeared suitable were too small on detailed inspection. Advantage of tis case was that spec had detailed dimensions and the case was built to spec - perfect fit. Hopefully with a baritone you will have a wider range of options for a case or gig bag.
    Do be aware that the case is still listed on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008B893T2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and that this listing has very detailed dimensions that aren't on the kirstein listing above. (Edit: I was wrong last figure in the kirstein listing is the detailed dimensions diagram) (Lack of similar detail on other cases was a major factor in going for this one.
    (Lower bout width is 45.5cm so might be a good starting point for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Thanks @Seymour1! ; That looks like a very possible answer. Kirstein list it as in stock but they only ship to EU countries. No-one else seems to stock it. But it's one to follow up on. I'll hunt around. Thanks again!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Searching just now I came across a chap in Poland who hand makes cases to order. https://benedykt-art-case.com/ Nice cases, around 500 or 600 euros - which for what they are is perfectly reasonable. Not necessary for this one, it will very seldom travel and never by air. In fact there is an argument for not bothering with a case, I can always borrow my Tacoma Thunderhawk case for it (which will fit it exactly), but it's probably sensible to have one case per instrument rather thsan share them.

• If you don’t plan on seriously and regularly travelling with the instrument, it’s probably a good idea not to buy a case for it and put it on a hanger or a stand at home - preferably the former.

Because if it’s out of the case, the case is just taking up space somewhere in the house.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter