Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pension draw down and tax free allowance - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pension draw down and tax free allowance

What's Hot
I know we can take out £250k tax free out of your pension pot when you retire.
What if you don't take out the tax free allowance? Do you get a certain percentage tax free every year, or tax free until you have paid yourself £250k?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

Only if your pot is worth £1m.

You can take 25% tax free (with some limitations), not a specific £amount.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    What if you don't take out the tax free allowance? Do you get a certain percentage tax free every year, or tax free until you have paid yourself £250k?

But what if I don’t want you to take £250k out of my pension pot?…… :#
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I think it depends on the pension scheme. HMRC allow you to take up to 25%. Some schemes allow you to take the 25% in stages. Some only allow a one off.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    tone1 said:

But what if I don’t want you to take £250k out of my pension pot?…… :#
    The dont take it...what's the issue ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    I believe that once in draw down, you can take chunks of tax free exactly as you suggest. So let’s say you draw down £50k and have not taken any tax free lump sum, you can take say £12.5k of that tax free. Or, if your pot is worth £1m, you could take the first 5 years at £50k per year totally tax free. Not sure how it works though. Hopefully someone will be along to explain further
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    spark240 said:
    tone1 said:

But what if I don’t want you to take £250k out of my pension pot?……
    The dont take it...what's the issue ?
    I believe tone1 was cracking a funny based on the ambiguity if the wording of the bold bit of the quote. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited September 2023
    Take note the impact of crystallising your defined contribution pension into a drawdown account, it's worth reading up or taking advice on it.

Whatever amount you want to drawdown as a tax free lump sum, up to 25% of your total pot (but it can be less), then 75% of that amount will be moved into drawdown at the same time and this 75% will be subject to your personal income tax coding when it is drawn down.

You can choose not to draw the 75% immediately and just take the 25% but any growth on the 75% that has been 'crystallised' will also be taxable when it is drawn (assuming you invest the 75% for growth).

Money left in the uncrystallised pension side can continue to grow in a tax free environment, thereby over time you could get more money out tax free, as 25% of every crystallisation event can be taken tax free. 

• I’ve done a couple of drawdowns on a pension over the last 12 months.
    Book an appointment with pension wise, mine was free, lasted about 45mins.
    All the pension jargon was mindblowing but i wouldnt have had a clue without their help.