Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). From pedals to modelling and back again - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

From pedals to modelling and back again

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Been round this loop a few times as well.  For me

real = relentless gas and obsessive collecting

digital = saving money for the relentless gas and obsessive collection of guitars instead!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • <snip>.

I just wish there was a 'FX Bank Global' option such that, if I change an FX block setting for one pedalboard preset, it would map across to all of my other pedalboard presets within that Bank. At the moment, if I tweak an effects block on the fly, then I have to repeat the same tweak again for all of my different pedalboard presets.

This facility is found in Bossworld as "Stompboxes". I thought Line6 had a similar feature, "Favorites"? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • <snip>.

I just wish there was a 'FX Bank Global' option such that, if I change an FX block setting for one pedalboard preset, it would map across to all of my other pedalboard presets within that Bank. At the moment, if I tweak an effects block on the fly, then I have to repeat the same tweak again for all of my different pedalboard presets.

This facility is found in Bossworld as "Stompboxes". I thought Line6 had a similar feature, "Favorites"? 
    I think Favourites is just a preset of a model, changes in one bank for that favourite don't map to other instances of it.

Favourites need custom names as well, Line 6, if you're listening. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • <snip>.

'Favorites' will take you part of the way there.  If you tweak a pedal in one block you can then save those settings by either updating or creating a new favorite, but you then have to re-import that favorite into each patch.  The other patches which use this favorite will not update automatically.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2023
    Yes, as stated in the posts above, I think Favourites is essentially  a quick recall feature. But I could be wrong.

What I'd like (for a given Bank or range of presets) is to tweak an FX block in one preset and hit Save.  Then those settings would also be Saved wherever that FX block appears in other presets, that are within the same Bank, or within my selected range of presets.

It's not a competition.
  • It's good to be able to pick a favourite from Favorites and then tweak it on a patch-by-patch basis, so what we really want is an optional link function.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2023
    Musicwolf said:
    It's good to be able to pick a favourite from Favorites and then tweak it on a patch-by-patch basis, so what we really want is an optional link function.
    Yes that's it. Effectively a link across a user-defined range of presets would be ideal. Or alternatively a complete Bank, but that might be too much of a sledge hammer for some.

I assumed my desire for this feature was specific to my particular Use Case. But maybe others might find it useful.

It's not a competition.

• Yes that's it. Effectively a link across a user-defined range of presets would be ideal. Or alternatively a complete Bank, but that might be too much of a sledge hammer for some.

I assumed my desire for this feature was specific to my particular Use Case. But maybe others might find it useful.

Toe that is a huge feature that is missing

So much so that I built a midi pedal to solve the problem.

• NikcNikc Frets: 613
    I use and keep both - rack unit with floor switching 4 Cable setup - pedal board with pedals also 4 cable ;). I just switch it around when the mood takes me. Although for home I'd say the effects unit is ultimately neater which is preferable because My Music Room is seen as our spare room by my wife :astonished: 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 874
    edited September 2023

I'm in my mid-50s and have been through just about everything guitar gear-wise over the past 30 years.

I have bought, sold, and later re-bought pedals, amps, rack gear, modellers, etc. several times over.

I'm a mediocre player at best and don't have the worry of having to play-out these days. I like owning, looking at, tweaking and messing about with the gear, and that's as much the hobby to me as playing.

"All the gear, no idea" = me. Fine. I've made my peace with that vs. being a great player.

Modelling has definitely improved and my Axe Fx 3 (I've had one of each generation in the past) really is way more than good enough to be all I need and more. At some point I WILL sell everything else and just have this and be perfectly happy I'm sure.

In the meantime, I've accepted that there is no 'best', just the right setup for a particular use / mood / timeframe, so I'm currently happy to keep a bit of everything.

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There might be an objective truth here, based on Fourier transforms and Nyquist's sampling theorem.

In Fourier analysis, square waves have more high frequency components than a sine wave of the same fundamental frequency.  

Nyquist's theorem says that you need a sampling frequency of at least double the frequency of the wave whose frequency you are trying to measure.

So digital attempts to model square waves (distortion in our context)are going to be more difficult to engineer than clean sounds, delays, reverbs and modulation.

I am too lazy to work through the maths, but this does seem to be reflected in our experience.  Many people go analogue for drives and distortion, digital for everything else.