Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Brian Downey’s Alive & Dangerous - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Brian Downey’s Alive & Dangerous

What's Hot
chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
edited September 2023 in Music
I stumbled across this today, very good stuff. Guitarist in Robbo’s position is (appropriately) most excellent, right hand stage guy not quite so fluid on this showing, singer / bassist is seriously good at holding that very special place. As for Downey at 72, well he still seems to have it. I saw the Robbo line up at close quarters a couple of times in tne 70s and love them still. This is way better than one might expect IMHO.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    Big Lizzy fan especially the Robbo/Gorham years and these guys are doing a good job of this. 'Warrior' and Robbo's wah'd solo was spot on - that is the wah sound I want!

Wonderful to see Brian Downey still doing it and what a drummer and only halfway through :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 166
    edited September 2023
    I saw Lizzy at Reading Festival and much later in Germany with Scott Gotham and Snowy White, Phil was on the decline by then. BD was never less than great, much underrated I believe, played for the song, perfect for that band. I also saw the very short lived Robertson Bain band Wild Horses in a very small university hall, they were fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    I saw Lizzy at Reading Festival and much later in Germany with Scott Gotham and Snowy White, Phil was on the decline by then. BD was never less than great, much underrated I believe, played for the song, perfect for that band. I also saw the very short lived Robertson Bain band Wild Horses in a very small university hall, they were fantastic.
    I saw the White/Gorham/Wharton line-up on the Renegade Tour supported by Sweet Savage with an excellent  19 yr old Vivian Campbell on guitar.

Those 2 Wild Horses albums were decent and there was some good songwriting there.

Gorham's 21 Guns album was also good
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    On a slight tangent, if anyone has a copy of the Live & Dangerous box set that was issued last year, which I missed, please let me know ….
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • That clip came up on my Youtube recommendations recently. Great band and what a great drummer Brian Downey still is.

It's not a competition.
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 166
    edited September 2023
    @Kebabkid i have never seen those Wild Horses albums anywhere, to be honest I haven’t looked in a while. Note to self to do so tonight. I also had the Lone Star albums on vinyl and have never seen them on CD either
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Brian Downey is one of the most underrated drummers. I cannot understand why he has never been given the recognition he deserves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    Band sound great. I'd go to see them if they come back this way.
  • Does his Son play ? Brian Downey Junior