Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: Saga Instruments Gitane D500 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: Saga Instruments Gitane D500

What's Hot
I went over to my favourite seaside guitar shop, Promenade Music, today.  Hot and sunny being the weather of the day.  Mainly to try out a Cordoba Stage Nylon Electro Acoustic.  A very nice looking instrument but I didn't like how it felt, at all.  So I tried out a few more traditional nylon string guitars but quickly decided I didn't really want one.  My first 3 guitars, when I was a kid, were nylon strung but I've not owned one since and not sure I want to now.  
Anyway, I was also thinking of reviving another style of guitar I'd not owned for over 25 years, a gypsy jazz style acoustic.  Prom only had 2 in but they were in my price range and looked rather lovely.  The G.J. guitar I'd had before was a Saga, oval holed model.  I can't recall the model name/number.  For those not familiar with these guitars, there are 2 main types.  One has a long scale, around 27 inches, with a small, oval sound hole and is 14 frets to the body.  The other has a more standard scale (25 1/3 inches), is 12 frets to the body and has a largish, D-shaped sound hole.  Of course there are a ton of variations on these two.  In general the small holed model has a harder, more attacking tone and is considered more suitable for lead work.  The D-holed model has a fuller, mellower tone and is considered more suitable for rhythm playing.  However you do see quite a few of the modern masters using the D-hole model for lead.
Anyway Prom had one of each style model.  The Gitane DG255, small oval holed model and the Gitane D500, D-holed model.  These retail at just under a grand.  I tried both and found the D500 very full, yet with loads of projection.  The DG255 had a more typical (to my ears) gypsy jazz tone, with lots of attacking middle, with great projection.  I immediately preferred the D500.  It felt nicer in the hand, more resonant and very articulate  I ran through my rather limited set of G.J. melodies and rhythms and felt  quite inspired by the D-holed model.  So after a little negotiation and the production of the rather attractive and useful, light tanned coloured, semi-rigid gig bag, the Gitane came home with me, for an excellent price.
This model has all-solid rosewood/spruce construction, with ebony (manouche) bridge and fingerboard.  Made by Saga, this slot-headed acoustic has gold, unnamed tuners, that keep tune well and are reasonably smooth.  The overall look of the guitar is traditional and quite stylish, in my view.  The tailpeice is attactive and functional.  You don't get any strap buttons here.  Well it is very unusual to see a player in this style, stand up whilst performing.  Looking back at my old Saga gypsy jazzer, I think Saga have upped there game with these models.  They are very affordable but are built well, look good and sound very nice.  
Now it's up to me to make Django proud.  Very unlikely but I'll have fun trying.  Most players in this style use very thick plectra.  Well I have tried my Dunlop (3.0mm) Big Stubby and it sounds good for lead work but for rhythm I am sticking to my lighter plectra.  Onward and upwards.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Good swag !  They're great value Django starter guitars, and flipping loud if pushed.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Nice addition and a great post @grayn. ;

Perfect timing too. I've been listening to Joshco Stephan these last few days and last night I was actually thinking about starting a thread to ask what gypsy jazz guitars are like (I've never played one) and what they are good for and how the sound compares to a standard flattop .... and here, as if by magic, is this thread!

Interesting also in the light of your remarks about the two sorts being mostly used for lead and rhythm respectively is that,m in his trio, Joscho plays a D-hole instrument while second guitarist Sven Jungbeck plays a small oval hole one. And yes, they have different tones as you describe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grayngrayn Frets: 769
    Tannin said:
    Nice addition and a great post @grayn. ;;

Perfect timing too. I've been listening to Joshco Stephan these last few days and last night I was actually thinking about starting a thread to ask what gypsy jazz guitars are like (I've never played one) and what they are good for and how the sound compares to a standard flattop .... and here, as if by magic, is this thread!

Interesting also in the light of your remarks about the two sorts being mostly used for lead and rhythm respectively is that,m in his trio, Joscho plays a D-hole instrument while second guitarist Sven Jungbeck plays a small oval hole one. And yes, they have different tones as you describe.
    Thanks Tannin.
    Obviously the player's technique adds so much to the tone of these style of guitars, as does the use of light strings and very heavy picks.  In my limited experience, the oval holed models are very much made with the gypsy jazz sound in mind.  The earlier D-holed, well with these Saga models at least, has a more versatile sound.
    In the hands of a master, either will sound awesome.  The only G.J. guitarist I have seen live is John Jorgensen, who was really excellent.
    Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi Grayn. I mainly play double bass but I've been working on GJ too. I'm based in Kendal; are you nearby?
  • Nice! Very good looking bag too
  • grayngrayn Frets: 769
    danowens said:
    Hi Grayn. I mainly play double bass but I've been working on GJ too. I'm based in Kendal; are you nearby?
    Sorry for late reply.  I am a couple of miles outside Colne, E. Lancs.