Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). James Bond question - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

James Bond question

What's Hot
For fans of the James Bond movies and franchise, what watch, be it brand or a specific model - so no need to get into reference numbers, year, material, face....., do you most associate with James Bond.

For me, the James Bond watch is the Rolex Submariner
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I don't associate any watches with Bond. The only two things I associate with Bond are Aston Martin's and Vodka Martini (shaken not stirred).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And burdz!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    edited September 2023
    That Seiko TV watch from Octopussy

Other than that I'm more Brosnan generation when I started watching Bond so I'm Seamaster.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    The Submariner (several variants) & other Rolex's are very 'Bond' even though I still have my Heuer 1000 Night Diver from before it was in The Living Daylights  ;)
  • And the seiko with the message tape from spy who loved me . Was it a submariner or GMT in live n let die  with the strong magnet to escape the alligators by trying to attract a metal boat (but it was tied up) also it had a bomb device in it 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Wasn't there a watch with a wire in it that he used to garotte someone? 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    That one in Moonraker which shot poison darts.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Deffo the one that cut the rope with the rolex submariner in live and let die, the best bond film imho.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Casio World Time, Casio Royale...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    edited September 2023
    There are a few, most of the good ones have already come up here.. im a fan of the TV watch from Octopussy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Connery .....Aston DB6
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I like the films, which is why I'm looking at the thread, but honestly I don't know anything about watches.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Definitely the Live And Let Die one. Circular saw, and a magnet for unzipping ladies' dresses. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Wis for the N64 one :) 

And obviously the right answer is the Rolex 5513 from L&LD. The original was the old 50's style Sub, and since the 90s he's been an Omega guy, which is fine but dull. 

But it's this one all day long. I'm not sure any other Bond watch was such a major gadget aside from the laser Seamaster in Goldeneye. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Dave8 said:
    There are a few, most of the good ones have already come up here.. im a fan of the TV watch from Octopussy

I actually came across one of these a few weeks back that had been bought as an investment, and never removed from it's packaging.  Turned out to not be a good investment as even in brand new condition, it's sells for practically nothing nowadays, nor does the TV function work anymore anywhere in the world.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Dominic said:
    Connery .....Aston DB6

Surely DB5?
  • I don't associate any watch with Bond.

Derek Flint however..

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Got to be the big crown Sub worn by Connery, surely?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    mo6020 said:
    Did anyone else notice that the Royal Marines NATO strap on the 6538 sub is 16mm instead of 20mm?

merlin said:
    mo6020 said:
    Did anyone else notice that the Royal Marines NATO strap on the 6538 sub is 16mm instead of 20mm?

Yeh, there’s some discussion around whether it was Connery’s own watch or whether it was borrowed from a producer, too. Seeing as it appeared in 3 other films you’d think it was Connery’s?
  • merlin said:
    mo6020 said:

Yeah it does my head in. 

I also chuckle whenever I see watch bros talking about a Bond Nato when referring to a black & grey one which wasn't actually worn by Bond until Omega gave him one in Spectre. Anyway, enough bond watch nerding for a couple of hours at least...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    All this talk of NATOs is making me want to put one on my Bond watch (I bought it before they put it in Spectre, tho)...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlin said:
    mo6020 said:

Yes, and it’s not actually a NATO strap - just a nylon strap with an ordinary buckle. Goldfinger was filmed in 1964 and NATO straps didn’t come into existence until 1973.

There”s also the thing that during the VHS era, people thought it was grey/black - but when it came out on DVD it became apparent that it was actually dark blue and olive green with two thin red stripes. I have a couple of both and my Seikos wore nothing else for years. They are on a stock bracelet and a rubber waffle pattern strap now, but maybe it’s time to crack open the NATOs again…