Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rabea's Reverb Shootout - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rabea's Reverb Shootout

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
in FX tFB Trader

Not sure if I'm a glutton for punishment as the last time I posted one of these it went massively South, but here goes (Keep if civil folks)

For Rabea's Overdrive shootout I commented that there wasn't a huge difference between any of the drives, or if they were expensive or relatively cheap. 

For reverb it's a different story. The nicer quality reverbs on this list sound so much better to my ears and I really hear the "Zing" that he talks about on some of them. It's a source of annoyance to me that I might have to compromise my all Boss board with a Strymon reverb. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I thought there were a lot a great reverbs on there that could have got a bit more of a look in. Was clear that Bea had “that sound” in his head, which was the Strymon, albeit he used a Big Sky.

Great pedals nonetheless, lots of fantastic reverbs in the market. What a time to be alive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    I've got a red panda and a slo but I want a strymon now. Lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm using a shitty Belton brick DIY reverb at the moment. I think the less complex tails work better into a crunchy amp
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I bought the BlueSky, but returned it because I thought...go big or go home and returned it and went for the BigSky in the end.  

For something really simple, i found the Stargazer does the job well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JEMJEM Frets: 76

For reverb it's a different story. The nicer quality reverbs on this list sound so much better to my ears and I really hear the "Zing" that he talks about on some of them. It's a source of annoyance to me that I might have to compromise my all Boss board with a Strymon reverb. 
    I have an RV-5 and it definitely has a "zing" on the plate setting. I'd always thought that was what plate reverbs did though. The Hall an Room modes don't have it. Complaining that a plate reverb emulation doesn't sound natural seems a bit odd to me.

Rabea did seem to be getting a bit fed up with the naff football comparisons though, can't say I blame him.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    JEM said:

I have an RV-5 and it definitely has a "zing" on the plate setting. I'd always thought that was what plate reverbs did though. The Hall an Room modes don't have it. Complaining that a plate reverb emulation doesn't sound natural seems a bit odd to me.

Rabea did seem to be getting a bit fed up with the naff football comparisons though, can't say I blame him.

Yeah if you watch the other ones in the series (Delay and Overdrive) it's mentioned that he's not going to do it again because it annoys Rabea.
    tFB Trader
    I watched the Danish Pete shootouts and it's very interesting that they Rabea and Pete both pick the BD-2 and Blue Sky in blind shootouts despite being massively different players.
  • I gotta admit I've never really got reverb pedals. I used to have an original EHX Holy Grail which I really only used for the Flerb setting as a feature effect on a specific song with a specific band. 

I still love the idea of fancy reverbs that do clever things - I've had a Supernatural, Slo and Minim since but none has ever stuck with me. 

Any suggestions from the group?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    I gotta admit I've never really got reverb pedals. I used to have an original EHX Holy Grail which I really only used for the Flerb setting as a feature effect on a specific song with a specific band. 

I still love the idea of fancy reverbs that do clever things - I've had a Supernatural, Slo and Minim since but none has ever stuck with me. 

Any suggestions from the group?

I use them either as:
    • An always on to make everything a bit better - A small amount of plate.
    • A huge epic ambient noodling thing - Massive Hall 
    • Stereotypical drippy surf guitar - Lots of Spring

It's a rare example of where I either want a really good one or nothing at all because bad reverbs sound horrible to me. 
    I've never found a digital spring that really impressed me, but Strymon are amazing for Plate and Hall reverbs.

I use them for recording and jamming, but never with a band other than a bit to stop in ears sounding horribly dry.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    I watched the Danish Pete shootouts and it's very interesting that they Rabea and Pete both pick the BD-2 and Blue Sky in blind shootouts despite being massively different players.
    They both have shares in Boss and Strymon
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    They both have shares in Boss and Strymon

Typically when anything like this gets mentioned people pop up and say "IT'S A FIX DON'T YOU KNOW THEY SELL PEDALS!!!!"
    and that might be true, but they sell ALL of the pedals featured so it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to go to the bother of fixing it.

It's also interesting that UA stuff didn't do all that well when they work with Rabea a lot which is probably embarrassing for him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Not sure if I'm a glutton for punishment as the last time I posted one of these it went massively South, but here goes (Keep if civil folks)

For Rabea's Overdrive shootout I commented that there wasn't a huge difference between any of the drives, or if they were expensive or relatively cheap. 

Likewise, I've also got an all-Boss board (well, kinda), and I struggle a bit with my RV-6.  It's fine when used as an effect, for mucking about with slower, Floyd-type stuff.  But for most of what we play - poppy, punky stuff - I can't really find a setting I'm totally happy with. Really just after something so it's just not totally dry; so you don't really notice it, but you miss it if it's not there.  Any suggestions on settings from tFB hive-mind?  Or do I need something totally different?

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I thought it was a good Andertons video...

I think you have to find which verbs 'suit' your ears and playing style; for me, I prefer plate and hall, and less so spring..

But, I do usually prefer pedal verbs over amp verbs.

And I agree with @monquixote regarding Strymon plate and halls - they excel.

I'd love to find a Midnight Strymon Big Sky, as I miss mine...

Other shout outs to the brilliant Neunaber Immerse II; it covers everything really well.

• I actually really enjoyed that overall. From what I heard I thought the Bluesky and Golden sounded best, with the Strymon probably edging it for me. Maybe I should try one
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2172
    edited September 2023
    I try to avoid watching any reverb shoot outs, as it may lead me down costly rabbit holes where I end up again overground in the cold light of day going back to the Big Sky for the Nth time, which is where I am now (midnight edition) and have been for a healthy, GAS-free amount of time. 

If Meris release a mega-reverb in the same form factor as the LVX, I might be burrowing underground again, but I always come back to the Strymon because it does it all so well. 

In terms of other reverbs, the GFI Skylar sounds absolutely beautiful if you’re looking for something simple and don’t need spring. The plate and spatium algorithms are stunning and up there with the best, IMO.

• Not sure if I'm a glutton for punishment as the last time I posted one of these it went massively South, but here goes (Keep if civil folks)

Likewise, I've also got an all-Boss board (well, kinda), and I struggle a bit with my RV-6.  It's fine when used as an effect, for mucking about with slower, Floyd-type stuff.  But for most of what we play - poppy, punky stuff - I can't really find a setting I'm totally happy with. Really just after something so it's just not totally dry; so you don't really notice it, but you miss it if it's not there.  Any suggestions on settings from tFB hive-mind?  Or do I need something totally different?

My favourite for a subtle reverb is the EQD Dispatch Master. A little bit of that just adds a nice sparkle. And you have the option of using the delay as well, or turning it up for the spacious ambient thing which it is really meant for.

Also a favourite is the Catalinbread Talisman, if you just want Plate. 

Neither as versatile as a Strymon etc, but do what they do very well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I'm a lover of the verbs in my GT1000 for day to day stuff. I do however have a Specular Tempus in the stereo loop for the special times.
    My fave Rabea video lately has been his own one about dialling in drives and compression.
  • I'm actually thinking of a reverb pedal to use with my small Marshall DSL combo. I mean, the Kemper effects are great and all that but I'm still keeping my tube amp so have thought about getting some more pedals. The usual suspects always crop up, Hall of Fame, Strymon, Boss RV6, Holy Grail etc.

• Likewise, I've also got an all-Boss board (well, kinda), and I struggle a bit with my RV-6.  It's fine when used as an effect, for mucking about with slower, Floyd-type stuff.  But for most of what we play - poppy, punky stuff - I can't really find a setting I'm totally happy with. Really just after something so it's just not totally dry; so you don't really notice it, but you miss it if it's not there.  Any suggestions on settings from tFB hive-mind?  Or do I need something totally different?

My favourite for a subtle reverb is the EQD Dispatch Master. A little bit of that just adds a nice sparkle. And you have the option of using the delay as well, or turning it up for the spacious ambient thing which it is really meant for.

£219 a pop.

Ouch.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I know it's old but I still love this black brick of reverb wonders that is my Digitech Supernatural. 

I don’t recall Dispatch Master being that much….it’s a while since I got mine, they come up used often for less than £150.
    tFB Trader
    Neilybob said:
    I know it's old but I still love this black brick of reverb wonders that is my Digitech Supernatural. 

Other than one setting it's the same as the Hardwire Reverb and the Polara.

• Likewise, I've also got an all-Boss board (well, kinda), and I struggle a bit with my RV-6.  It's fine when used as an effect, for mucking about with slower, Floyd-type stuff.  But for most of what we play - poppy, punky stuff - I can't really find a setting I'm totally happy with. Really just after something so it's just not totally dry; so you don't really notice it, but you miss it if it's not there.  Any suggestions on settings from tFB hive-mind?  Or do I need something totally different?

£219 a pop.

Ouch.
    I definitely didn't pay that much for mine, maybe they've gone up though. 
    Just found the order for mine from 2015 from Thomann's, it was 204 Euros.  So that would have been like £180, so the rise isn't that drastic, it's 8 years ago.