Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Identifying transistor in Analogman Sunlion? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Identifying transistor in Analogman Sunlion?

What's Hot
ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
I'm not technically minded, considering a purchase for a Sunlion where the seller isn't sure which transistor is used in the sunface side of the circuit. Is anyone able to identify by looking at this? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Doesn't it say on the back plate? Guessing he doesn't have the box. Email Mike - he's super helpful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Looks like a Newmarket transistor. Almost certainly PNP and could be replaced with an OC45 or AC128. Might need the bias tweaking, for usual device operation, collector voltage would be about 4.5V.

Dave.
  • CFHCFH Frets: 437
    edited September 2023
    https://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

They look a lot like the BART with RCA or CV transistors, both GE I believe. I wouldn’t be thinking about replacing the transistors, some of the CV transistors can be tuned really really well with great clean up although sometimes I’ve found them slightly low gain. 

Analog man has stated clearly that he won’t use an AC128 in a fuzz face circuit so it’s very unlikely that they are that. 

Edit: the box says “unmarked 2N” which from what I can tell from the AM link above is indeed an RCA ge transistor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    CFH said:
    https://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

They look a lot like the BART with RCA or CV transistors, both GE I believe. I wouldn’t be thinking about replacing the transistors, some of the CV transistors can be tuned really really well with great clean up although sometimes I’ve found them slightly low gain. 

Analog man has stated clearly that he won’t use an AC128 in a fuzz face circuit so it’s very unlikely that they are that. 

Not suggesting it is an AC128 just a valid replacement. Early Germanium transistors were all of the same 'batch' and then they were sorted for hfe, Ft etc and marked accordingly. All transistors abide by the same "equation' over several decades of collector current.

Dave.