Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How common are bolt-on necks? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How common are bolt-on necks?

What's Hot
I have a couple of Taylors with bolt-on necks, which are great. I guess many other manufacturers have adopted a similar construction due to the obvious advantages… but do any smaller bulders use a bolt-on instead of a glued-in neck?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I've seen a few over the years but it's difficult to keep track of who does and who doesn't.

I came across a pretty good list here

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Interesting thread - thanks.
  • There have always been a few before Taylor but Bob Taylor legitimised bolt ons Quite a few high end luthiers offer variants on bolt on necks unless they are doing slavish Martin copies. 

I have not seen a definitive list as neck joint these days is not really a defining factor perhaps how it used to be. You like the sound you like the build design etc neck joints are pretty low down the list in my mind.

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    More and more common as the years roll on and building techniques improve. Dovetails are still considered the Traditionalists' Gold Standard but no-one has ever been able to demonstrate any tonal advantage to a dovetail over a bolt-on or (especially) a Spanish heel. (Some people claim that a Spanish heel is tonally superior to a dovetail. I regard that as pious nonsense.)

As for structural and mechanical considerations, well, bolt-ons rule. Yes, Spanish heels are the most durable and best able to resist neck problems, but on the other hand they are much harder to fix than even a dovetail. Dovetails are probably the most prone to neck issues and are medium-difficult to fix - a big job but not the end of the world. A properly made bolt-on is not only durable, it is also very easy to fix if it does go wrong. 

Of my current-century guitars (counting two recently disposed of and two still on order) I have 3 dovetails, 2 Spanish heels,  4 bolt-ons, and I don't know what Brook use. I though it was a dovetail but someone in that linked thread said they used bolt-ons. Do I care either way? Not really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bolt on necks make a lot of sense. From the point of view that the guitar can have a neck reset and can be dismantled much easier. Many acoustic guitars eventually succumb to the dreaded neck reset, so having a guitar that's more serviceable is good thing in my book. 
  • My Atkin & Bourgeois are both bolt necks and both exceptional :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    @Tannin i think Brook use a “traditional” fitting but I can check later. I remember reading that they did a bolt on neck as a special for TV Smith so it could be removed for travelling so that would suggest it’s not standard.  But bolt on and easily removed are not quite the same thing. 

Also not quite a bolt on but Furch’s travel guitar has a clip on neck which means you can pack and unpack it in a few seconds. Even stays in tune whilst dismantled!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That’s the kind of high-end reassurance I was after!

Although I can be too much of a traditionalist in many ways, I am 100% in favour of non-glued joints - the practical advantages are overwhelming. I was just curious how common they were outside of the obvious Taylors etc.
    That’s the kind of high-end reassurance I was after!

Although I can be too much of a traditionalist in many ways, I am 100% in favour of non-glued joints - the practical advantages are overwhelming. I was just curious how common they were outside of the obvious Taylors etc.
    Yeah, I didn't know about either when I bought them but they've given me absolutely zero concerns
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Brook use a bolt on system, the hex head is just visible through the sound hole, having visited the work shop and seen their construction, it’s an excellent piece of workmanship.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Thanks @wrinkleygit! ;
  • The Big Baby Taylor is bolt on, and is a lovely guitar for the money.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Howe-Orme neck joints for the win  ;)
    Further discussion on here  https://www.mimf.com/library/Details_of_Howe-Orme_tilting_neck__Pictures_-09-18-2008.html
    Some vintage but detailed neck joint debate here too https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520555
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
     I see @wrinkleygit has beaten me to it but I checked and mine’s also a bolt on.