Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Good luthier in London for guitar re-finish? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Good luthier in London for guitar re-finish?

Hello friends, any of you out there with positive experiences from luthiers in central London that are good at refinishing guitars? Looking for something simple, a "gloss black" on a strat body (like a Jackson soloist for example). Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Try Rob Fleet @RobFleet not central London AFAIK but not too far away
    https://www.rfcustom.co.uk/gallery
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    I know that Rob/ RF may be backed up into next year with work……much of it mine

You could try Bow Finishing in South Godstone - they have done some good work for me in the past but sometimes i found their waiting times a bit to erratic. But give them a shout.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Thank you both, appreciated. I am though looking for central London, I only know of Denmark Street and Camden, most guitar stores are concentrated there but they have luthiers for setups/repairs, not body painting/refinishing :/ 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Thank you both, appreciated. I am though looking for central London, I only know of Denmark Street and Camden, most guitar stores are concentrated there but they have luthiers for setups/repairs, not body painting/refinishing :/ 
    I can’t speak for other peoples spray set ups but I wouldn’t have thought you’d find a guitar refinisher in the most central London areas. 

Contact one of the companies mentioned above and pop the body in a box for posting, it’ll probably be the easiest way of doing it.
  • Due to lack of open space you reckon? That's the only reason I can think of, cause there are too many workshops around but indeed never seen a spray room etc 
  • There's also @Danielsguitars (Surrey) or @Corvus (Cambs).  As Scott says, if it's an S-type body, easy enough to post.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Due to lack of open space you reckon? That's the only reason I can think of, cause there are too many workshops around but indeed never seen a spray room etc 
    Fumes gotta go somewhere. Usually up and out. But I wouldn’t have thought you’d get a spray shop in the heart of London. It’s too built up. Unless you find someone on an industrial estate.

Its also not a luthier you need, it’s a guitar painter/refinisher with a spray shop/booth. Luthiers don’t usually paint stuff. There’s a few good options mentioned above, I’d start there.
  • thank you all :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    I don't think I've seen a spray booth in London either, it takes up quite a bit of space.

Also what finish do you want, do you mind nitro checking.

I scratch build all of my guitars start to finish and I take on some extra finishing, I've got an R9 in for an aged refinish, I've just finished a 65 SG that was horrible with a bad old headstock break.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    Until a few years ago, one of the best guitar sprayers in the country had his spray booth in Denmark Street. Sadly, passed away sometime ago.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/