Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I’m feeling mischievous - how do I answer this? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I’m feeling mischievous - how do I answer this?

What's Hot
Obvious wrong number text message:

https://i.imgur.com/nz9VPHu.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2023
    Send a dick pic. I suggest Cavett, Nixon
    or Van Dyke.

Seriously, though, "Joyce" only wants you for your personal data and your bank balance.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited September 2023
    I suspect someone made up a random number in an attempt to get rid of Joyce at this dinner party.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    "Ah yeah sorry, then you said you'd come round to taste my grapes afterwards, I remember".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Aaaaah , sorry I must have drunk more than I realised . I thought you said you were fine tasting so thought I’d arranged a booty call for tomorrow.

If it’s wine tasting mind if I take a rain check ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I suggest in the style of Sid the Sexist,

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    "Were you the fat one in the giraffe outfit?" 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Obvious wrong number text message:

I've had this exact same message word for word sent to my phones - yes I use more than 1 mobile phone though I only use one of them as a phone and give people the number for that phone, except it wasn't from ''Joyce'', but ''Kathy'', and a ''Jessica Jane'', and these are just the ones I've received in the last week or so.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Amazing that it was word for word. I’m struggling to see the potential scam here though. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Its AI and will coax you into booking something via credit card etc, or is actively harvesting your location from mobile data. Not really worth the effort to respond. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had a Whatsapp message a couple of months ago, obviously a wrong number, which said “I’m on the way now”. I recognised the name as someone who was a year below me at university and I responded in Welsh as we’re both first language Welsh speakers. I think he was surprised, but it was obviously just a number mixup somehow. I sometimes get phone calls which are clearly something similar, so I assumed that’s what this was.

Anyway Joyce has lost interest and is not replying, so I will block the number. Phone scams are strangely fascinating though!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    swiller said:
    Its AI and will coax you into booking something via credit card etc, or is actively harvesting your location from mobile data. Not really worth the effort to respond. 
    I agree, but "We changed our number..." WTF?
    Don't AI, bots & scammers exchange data?
  • Amazing that it was word for word. I’m struggling to see the potential scam here though. 

I reckon it's either fishing for data, or a ''honey trap'', not that I've done more than replied to the initial message with ''Who are you'' - well words to that effect anyway and with that general meaning.
  • "We changed our number."
    EITHER
    Joyce harbours delusions of being a monarch.

OR
    Joyce is non-binary and insists on being addressed by a pronoun that makes a mockery of the English language.

My, what hairy forearms Joyce has. 
    Be seeing you.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    All sounds very formal….and a bit Downton Abbey (not that I’ve seen it) 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    "Yes, I'm free tomorrow afternoon".
    With any luck she's still waiting there.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    Anybody had any spam calls from real restaurants or cafe/coffee shops?  To give an example that sticks out in my memory I recently answered a call that came up as being from Zoot Cafe, obviously a real place as I've linked to the place, and the person who called me claimed to be from a bank I don't use - I can't remember which bank other than it's one that is in England but not really in Scotland like Barclays, with the usual ''you're bank account has been comprised'' spiel, and when I asked if they're from that bank then why are they calling me from Zoot Cafe, they couldn't hang up on me fast enough - this one sticks out as it happened at a time when no banks would call customers on a weekend.  I've had this happen to me more than once, once it was from a restaurant and a very nice looking, well reviewed posh one at that too, that began with the letter ''B'' - I can't find it in my call log I just remember it begins with the letter ''B''.   It's not just banks that I've had these scam calls pretending to be coming from real restaurants or cafe/coffee shops, but also PayPal, Amazon, Netflix, eBay, Vodafone - who I don't use, and others.

It's really getting to the stage now where I'm stopping answering calls from numbers not in my contacts.

edited September 2023
    One thing I’ve learnt from working from home post-pandemic is that my landline is used EXCLUSIVELY by scammers. They’re still doing the “your pc has a virus” thing, unbelievably. Inevitable really that it’s moving to mobiles.
  • Tell them your memory’s not great after that car accident. Scammers love that kind of thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tell them that your name is A Schicklgruber of The Berghof, Berchtesgaden, Bavaria.
    Be seeing you.
  • One thing I’ve learnt from working from home post-pandemic is that my landline is used EXCLUSIVELY by scammers. They’re still doing the “your pc has a virus” thing, unbelievably. Inevitable really that it’s moving to mobiles.

I've had a UK land line number for less than 3 months because of this, it was that bad I payed to end a 24 month contract early - it made sense to pay the contract breaking fine due to a massive discount we where offered and the savings to be had with an ISP that doesn't require you to have a land line.  And it's the same ith the girlfriend, she hasn't had a land line since long before we met and got together due to the constant robo calls and calls from scammers.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    I don't answer ANY calls from numbers not in my contacts - if it's anything important they'll leave a voicemail message.

edited September 2023
    Well, Joyce has lost interest and is not answering. I guess I’ll go to the wine tasting on my own then!
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    My standard response to these now is 'send nudes'

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• I just don't answer any calls or messages from unrecognisable numbers and I don't even open emails from unfamiliar senders or dodgy looking header information.

Mrs F used to get way more scam calls than me because of car insurance claim from 10 years ago! Smart cookie that she is, she now immediately adds any scam call number to her 'call-barred' list ... which is now as extensive as her contacts list :anguished: 

She hardly gets any scam calls these days ... Job's a good'n!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Obvious wrong number text message:

Hi Joyce, actually I hadn’t forgotten but I’ve been in involved in an accident that wasn’t my fault, my computer has a bug, and I’ve been asked to move my savings to a ‘safe’ account - I presume this includes the $6 billion I’m expecting from a benevolent Nigerian Prince.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    "Hi Joyce, I remember how beautiful and sexy you were in that tight dress....and I remember thinking that I'd eat a mile of your shit just to get to sniff your ass. "

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    That's like a particularly bad piece of dialogue from The Room 2.

Obvious scam is obvious.

I occasionally get random WhatsApp messages from attractive young women who claim my number is just one digit different to that of their friend.  To be honest I'm surprised it doesn't happen more. 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Amazing that it was word for word. I’m struggling to see the potential scam here though. 

I reckon it's either fishing for data, or a ''honey trap'', not that I've done more than replied to the initial message with ''Who are you'' - well words to that effect anyway and with that general meaning.
    I was selling a guitar through Marketplace (cheap Fender acoustic) and was contacted by a potential buyer who asked if I was interested in a swap, Depends on what you're swapping, I replied. She came back with 'a whole bag full of goodies. And when I say whole bag I mean a whole black bag of stuff'. 

I got scared enough at that point to resist posting anything else. :D