Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boost for home - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boost for home

Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
I’ve got a deluxe reverb and I play mainly at home. I’d always thought the only way to get gain sounds with a non master volume amp was to use an overdrive pedal to make the gain sound, but I’ve recently discovered I can get some amazing tones by turning the volume on the amp to where it’s barely on and then hitting the first stage really hard with a boost (or just an overdrive pedal with the gain lower and the volume high). It does make the vol control on the amp harder to set to a reasonable volume but it’s worth the effort. 
Id always dismissed boosts as almost being a utility pedal for gigging players but a massive boost and a bit of shaping into an amp turned right down is getting me a nicer tone than pedal gain into and amp on ‘2’
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    edited September 2023
    Does the D/Lverb have an FX loop Alex? If so you can buy a 'pot in a tin' to insert in it and reduce the level going back in to (usually) the PI. That then allows you far greater control of the master volume.

The things are beer into water to make, just two jacks and a pot, nice lil' weekend projjy!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023
    I'm not sure it's a sound I'd like but if you enjoy it so be it. For many a deluxe is just a bit mid scooped and hard on the top end and an amp-like overdrive mitigates that. 

The best "distortion" amps usually cold clip the first valves, cut low end and build successive mild gain stages to then drive the phase inverter and power amp into distortion. Driving a fender pre hard is more likely to get that raspy blocking distortion in the bass. 

What overdrives have you tried to date? 
  • ecc83 said:
    Does the D/Lverb have an FX loop Alex? If so you can buy a 'pot in a tin' to insert in it and reduce the level going back in to (usually) the PI. That then allows you far greater control of the master volume.

The things are beer into water to make, just two jacks and a pot, nice lil' weekend projjy!

Dave.
    No loop sadly but I’m managing so far 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    edited September 2023
    I'm not sure it's a sound I'd like but if you enjoy it so be it. For many a deluxe is just a bit mid scooped and hard on the top end and an amp-like overdrive mitigates that. 

The best "distortion" amps usually cold clip the first valves, cut low end and build successive mild gain stages to then drive the phase inverter and power amp into distortion. Driving a fender pre hard is more likely to get that raspy blocking distortion in the bass. 

What overdrives have you tried to date? 
    Just using a Barber Ltd, used the trimmer to shave a bit of bass off so that might help and it’s the 68 custom so no bright cap and lower negative feedback. It’s not searing lead tones, just a bit crunchy when you dig in

It is a bit raspy, but in a Timmy like way and again, still pretty clean