Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Grey Imports? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Grey Imports?

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I'm in the market for a new phone. This site https://www.dealmonday.co.uk/ undercuts the UK retail price by £100 by sourcing cheaply from around the globe.

What are the downsides? I'm guessing if it goes wrong I'm pretty much on my own.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited September 2023
    Yeah it’s normally you’ll get no U.K. manufacturer support or warranty if it goes wrong. You might also find some features are deleted for different markets. My wife’s brother lives in the US and once donated her his old iPhone 7 Plus, I can’t remember exactly what the issue was but know it was a massive ballache to set it up to work properly over here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    The main issue is you need to check whether the band it has, is the same as in the UK.  But each regions will have quirks.  Like new US iPhones have no sim tray, Japanese phone has no silent mode for the camera shutter...etc.
  • I think firmware updates can be excluded as well, or region specific perhaps? 
  • Have you thought about going for refurbed, rather than grey imports? I bought an iPhone for my wife from backmarket.co.uk and apart from the fact it came in a plain box, you wouldn't know it wasn't brand new. Better for the planet, too.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter