Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recommendations for Headphones - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recommendations for Headphones

What's Hot
As per title, mine are perishing all over. I'd like Headphones that aren't monitor headphones (recording etc) and in the £100 range.

Ones that kick out plenty of volume as they can vary.

Circum Aural preferably.

Don't know if wireless of any quality is available in this price range, but wired ones are not a problem.

Thanks.
And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I really like these:
    wired
    Audio Technica ATH-M50x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Grado Sr60 or sr80

Astonishing sounding headphones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Grado Sr60 or sr80

@stimpsonslostson ;
    Aren't these uncomfortable? I remember @fretmeister saying they sounded great but he stopped using them due to discomfort.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited September 2023
    For years I’ve fancied trying a pair of Fostex RP-Series headphones. They aren’t silly money (£111-£125) & all use planar-magnetic drivers.
    https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

The models are:
    T20RPmk3 = Open for “Deep Bass”
    T40RPmk3 = Closed for “Focused Bass”
    T50RPmk3 = Semi-Open for “Flat and Clear” sound

Best prices I found when looking a couple years ago was from scan.co.uk.
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/fostex-black-orange-t20rp-mk3-professional-open-headphones-635mm-jack-plus-35mm-mini-jack-92db-15hz-

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/fostex-black-orange-t40rp-mk3-professional-closed-headphones-635mm-jack-plus-35mm-mini-jack-91db-20h

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/fostex-black-orange-t50rp-mk3-professional-semi-open-headphones-635mm-jack-plus-35mm-mini-jack-92db-

Worth a watch, to see the diffenerences between the 3 models.
    https://youtu.be/SpRCK6CVdis?si=UFsOxkDLLuBWHaL4
  • As per title, mine are perishing all over. I'd like Headphones that aren't monitor headphones (recording etc) and in the £100 range.

Circum Aural preferably.

Don't know if wireless of any quality is available in this price range, but wired ones are not a problem.

Thanks.
    What are your current headphones? My Sennheiser HD 580s are on their second cable and third set of ear/head pads, but continue to be lovely. Can you buy spares instead? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Big fan of my Beyer DT990 but not sure if they tick your boxes. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Grado Sr60 or sr80

I have a pair of the SR80s and was quite amazed at how good they sound, even without a headphone amp. I personally wouldn’t say they’re uncomfortable either.

However, my favourite headphones were the Philips Fidelio X1. Superb sound quality and incredibly comfy. I should never have sold them. I’ve recently been looking at the X2HRs, which I’ll be getting next (apparently the X3s aren’t that good).
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    another for grados. have 80 and 325 , 80s stand up very well to the triple the price 325. Open back though, so not good for crowded areas. They can get uncomfortable, but easily solved with some aftermarket pads, which are cheap and brilliant.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    As per title, mine are perishing all over. I'd like Headphones that aren't monitor headphones (recording etc) and in the £100 range.

Circum Aural preferably.

Thanks.
    What are your current headphones? My Sennheiser HD 580s are on their second cable and third set of ear/head pads, but continue to be lovely. Can you buy spares instead? 
    Slight sidertack, can I ask you what cable do I need to replace mine, for like for like?

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003736802385.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.11aa274dLvpgQh&algo_pvid=e5e5f726-5e2e-427a-b9fb-618fa3e32d94&algo_exp_id=e5e5f726-5e2e-427a-b9fb-618fa3e32d94-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!EUR!29.57!17.75!!!31.33!!@211b441e16937414814664594edf4c!12000026983847000!sea!ES!2981680231!&curPageLogUid=HCAI6vCTFyLo

3.5mm 3 pole or 4 pole? 
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 525
    edited September 2023

Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Great all rounders for domestic use. Not a flat response, quite full in the bass, nice treble. Bit plasticky. 

For a flatter curve, Beyer Dynamic 880's are perfect. Bombproof and rebuildable. 

Sony MRD 7506 are comfy and bombproof, but again, flat response, so you might find them a bit bass shy. 

Personally, I find Grados hideously uncomfortable with a vieled top end which makes vocals a bit indistinct, but many people love them. 

• As per title, mine are perishing all over. I'd like Headphones that aren't monitor headphones (recording etc) and in the £100 range.

Circum Aural preferably.

Thanks.
    Slight sidertack, can I ask you what cable do I need to replace mine, for like for like?

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003736802385.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.11aa274dLvpgQh&algo_pvid=e5e5f726-5e2e-427a-b9fb-618fa3e32d94&algo_exp_id=e5e5f726-5e2e-427a-b9fb-618fa3e32d94-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!EUR!29.57!17.75!!!31.33!!@211b441e16937414814664594edf4c!12000026983847000!sea!ES!2981680231!&curPageLogUid=HCAI6vCTFyLo

3.5mm 3 pole or 4 pole? 
    I've only bought ever spares direct from Sennheiser themselves. On my HD580s, TRS, not 4. But these look like the official product I've got on mine.

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd265-hd600-hd580-cable-3.5mm-jack-plug-3m-ofc-508688.html

• WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 166
    edited September 2023
    I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50x like new, bought to use on a project that never happened. Ten pounds under your budget, PM me if interested.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Here’s an amusing if not accurate testimony for the Grado SR60s. It’s like they shouldn’t be that good but they are:

https://youtu.be/kR0xiIYvOSw?si=CMZ__GULL2pQcVON
  • duotone said:
    Grado Sr60 or sr80

@stimpsonslostson ;
    Aren't these uncomfortable? I remember @fretmeister saying they sounded great but he stopped using them due to discomfort.
    Yup.

After 30 mins they get really annoying.

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited September 2023
    OP: Do you wear glasses?

My ATH M50s sound good but I find they make my ears hurt after a while while I’m wearing my glasses.  I’d definitely be mindful of this if you wear specs.
  • duotone said:
    Grado Sr60 or sr80

@stimpsonslostson ;
    Yup.

After 30 mins they get really annoying.

I replaced the pads and they're great now. 
  • I tried 3 or 4 different pads. No better.

I don’t use them at all anymore.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3067
    edited September 2023
    I still have AKG K550s, my fave headphones I've ever had..

I also have some Marshall ones that can be wired or Bluetooth, paid £70 in a sale a few years back, they are really decent I was surprised, great build quality too.
  • Ooof, plenty to read here. Thanks, chaps, I'll check em all out.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.

Circum Aural preferably.

Thanks.
    They're Sennheiser hd206, so relatively cheap ones, but they are decent. I think the wires are hard wired into the headphones. I feel like a treat anyway :) Out of interest, the spares, do you just get those from Amazon or something, I might have a pair of older Sennheiser ones where the wires plugged in. They were great but they were Supra Aural and I like ones that completely surround the ears.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    edited September 2023
    I just bought a pair of Austrian Audio Hi-X 15s. Bang on £100 from most places, online reviews were all very positive. Too soon to comment on ruggedness but they sound great, look and feel like they cost money and are very comfortable to wear (including with glasses on).

https://austrian.audio/hi-x15/

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• OP: Do you wear glasses?

My ATH M50s sound good but I find they make my ears hurt after a while while I’m wearing my glasses.  I’d definitely be mindful of this if you wear specs.
    I do, yes. I'll take it into consideration. However, I could wear my Pince-Nez for such occasions  =)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    AKG K371 are my current sofa sitting cans of choice - labelled as studio headphones but nice allrounders. 
  • I'm not a huge fan of either the Sony MDR-7506 or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. They both have a strong presence boost in the upper mid range which makes them sound tizzy, and they over emphasise parts of the bass region. (I actually prefer the cheaper M40x to the M50x.)

In that price range I'd go for the Rode NTH-100 in preference.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Stuckfast said:
    I'm not a huge fan of either the Sony MDR-7506 or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. They both have a strong presence boost in the upper mid range which makes them sound tizzy, and they over emphasise parts of the bass region. (I actually prefer the cheaper M40x to the M50x.)

In that price range I'd go for the Rode NTH-100 in preference.
    I trie the Rode before I settled on the AKG371 as it had good reviews. I hated them, really uncomfortable, heavy, and all midrange and no too and bottom. Sent them back. I guess headphones are quite personal things. 
  • Not usre whether I'm dissapointed by this...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2023
    Here's some comments on the budget headphones I have.

Over-ear headphones (is this what you mean by 'circum aural'?):

For your budget the DT990 might be a good choice for open back (i.e low isolation) headphones. Mine are 250 ohm, which I think is the common impedance for this model. It depends on what you're driving them with, but my audio interface is fully cranked to get enough volume. My favourite sounding headphones of this group.

If you want over ear closed back (i.e. isolation) then the DT770 might be a good choice. Mine are 80ohm but don't seem much louder than my DT990's. A decent sound for closed back headphones. A good compromise for sound and isolation.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Mine are 64ohm. Great isolation and fairly loud. I'm not keen on the sound. But a good choice for recording with a microphone.

On-Ear Headphones

Grado SR80e. 32 ohms and loud. Open back and low isolation. No problem driving them. With the ear pads they come with, a good sound, but I find the bass slightly over exaggerated and not so clear as the DT990s. I think they sound better with the ear pads with no material in the centre, like the older versions, but those ear pads are uncomfortable. My second favourite sound in this group after the DT990's.

Comfort
    The over-ear DT990 and DT770 headphones start off feeling comfortable, but over a longer period of time, start to make my head sweaty and feel claustrophobic.

My on-ear Grado SR80e, with the ear pads they come with, might not initially feel quite so comfortable, but work for me over extended periods and are the headphones I use the most. They're less head sweaty and claustrophobic.

I notice in the pictures that the newer Grado SR80x seems to have a bit of an indent in the centre of ear pad which, if they've removed material in that area, might help with the sound.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks, guys, I've gone with the M50x ones from @Woodandwires ;