Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Educate me please! Offset hollowbody with body and arm carves. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Educate me please! Offset hollowbody with body and arm carves.

What's Hot
RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
edited September 2023 in Making & Modding
Hi Everyone
I have found my perfect offset shape but I'd really like it to be a hollow body with an F hole.
Looking at these two pictures and the body and arm carves do you think hollow is possible?
I understand it is likely to need a separate top and binding.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That body shape could be produced as semi-hollow. It would be necessary to rout the hollow areas from the back - like a Fender Telecaster Thinline - before gluing on a back (or a front).

The alternative is to partially chamber both front and rear pieces before gluing them together - rather like the PRS S2 Vela semi-hollow model.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    What is it? Looks awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023
    S56035 said:
    What is it? Looks awesome.
    https://www.balaguerguitars.com/usaseries/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Isn't it?!
    I really like the ergonomics of it
  • That body shape could be produced as semi-hollow. It would be necessary to rout the hollow areas from the back - like a Fender Telecaster Thinline - before gluing on a back (or a front).

The alternative is to partially chamber both front and rear pieces before gluing them together - rather like the PRS S2 Vela semi-hollow model.
    So effectively you'd have two pieces glued together almost symmetrically rather than just a top cap?
    In which case I'm guessing you could round the edges slightly and not need binding?
  • Can I suggest, potentially, a slightly fettled Acoustasonic 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    tFB Trader
    It is easier to have a droptop, if you need it fully chambered with an F hole and all the body curves.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/231300/thinline-jazzmaster-with-body-curves#latest

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's some serious craftsmanship there, thank you!
    tFB Trader
    Thanks, I never did finish it. Can't remember why, I really must to get out and completed it. Come to think of it, I didn't finish the Jazz Bass. I'll put some photos up in the near future of a project I'm just finishing for a member of the tfb. It's a fully chambered Telecaster with an F hole and all the body curves. Even if I say so myself it's beautiful.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

tFB Trader
    As promised, a fully chambered TC with a F hole plus all the body curves. Mahogany body with a decorative Walnut cap. The neck is flamed roasted Maple with a Rosewood fingerboard. The guitar has a neck angle so a wrap over bridge can be used, the control layout is exactly the same as a Les Paul.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You weren't wrong, that is beautiful.
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 22
    That is great I've just been mulling over a similar plan for a block of african mahogany I've been lugging round for years...