Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Genre Help - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Genre Help

What's Hot
S56035S56035 Frets: 833
Hey 
Can someone help me out with what genre this is and then point me in the direction of similar stuff (moody, bloke on a guitar)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Not exactly the same but try 16 horsepower 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Cheers @Reverend will take a look after the kid goes to bed.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Some would say it's Americana Dog Whistle.  ;)
    edited September 2023
    Kilgore said:
    Some would say it's Americana Dog Whistle. 
    he's actually complained about assuming he's right wing. Honestly, which bit is dog whistle cos I don't see it.

It's the only one I've listened to so far so there could be a Proud Boys anthem on another track
    Reverend said:
    This is awesome. The other stuff good to so thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    S56035 said:
    Hey 
    Can someone help me out with what genre this is and then point me in the direction of similar stuff (moody, bloke on a guitar)
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/22/oliver-anthonys-divisive-song-claiming-solidarity-with-workers-only-benefits-the-rich-who-exploit-them

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

The main objection is that he appears to be taking potshots at everyone. High Taxes, the rich, the powerful and the poor( poor are 'milkin' welfare.) Essentially anybody who isn't like him.

I've heard what he's said about this. That he's been highjacked by the right and the left. He claims it's all about the music not politics, but then he keeps banging on about the 'message.'

Still, for me the song is intensely pessimistic, he's got it in for everyone. It's just incredibly whiney. 

I think it's all gone to his head a bit. He thinks he's on a mission from God.

"It's my belief that divine intervention has put me in this position, at this point in time to get a message across."

It's not for me. I'm not that keen on people who think they've got God's mobile number.

YMMV

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm not really arsed about the message. Just like the way it sounds. Hence the request for other artists.

S56035 said:
    I'm not really arsed about the message. Just like the way it sounds. Hence the request for other artists.

Give Sean Rowe a listen.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Kilgore said:
    ...... It's just incredibly whiney.
    Here's one that Chris "Isto" White wrote just for you  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Kilgore said:
    S56035 said:

Give Sean Rowe a listen.

Will give it a go tomorrow but both thumbnails make him look like the kind of thing I'm after :-)
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
    https://youtu.be/T0lwr_jcGZQ?si=egXIFCbNGUPcW9Bj https://youtu.be/c931dQ2UnNA?si=6cInTP7F2d_ZLDgi
    A couple from The Dead South

Also good and saw these support the dead south are Hootens Hollers - a bit more raw bluesy though
    https://youtu.be/h-b0bhTMkdE?si=vb4fVeSj3VWQM8Na